Sign in with
Your question

Nvidia video quality vs AMD and 680 vs 7970 both overclocked

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 18, 2012 11:05:07 PM

Im buying either 7970 or gtx680 im leaning towards nvidia because i heard they have better ssao and ssaa. I heard the 7970 oc to be faster than 680 while 680s overclock poorly. Is this the case because if so id get better performance and have an extra hundred to drop into waterblock and psu. The reason why im uncertain is because i heard 2k textures mod for skyrim + other visual mods such as enbs and ao push above the 2gb vram limitations on 680 and id have to pitch in for 4gb version while the 7970 is 440$ with 3gb and a higher memory bus meaning better memory bandwith so i could rest easy with modding. Just want a truly unbiased opinion. Im only 17 and am putting 2 months work into this build (my first one) so this is really important to me. I want the one with best image quality and performance if the 7970 overclocks past 680 overclocked thatd be nice to know. :sweat: 
November 18, 2012 11:19:42 PM

If you are going to running water cooled gpus, go with the 7970. The reason the 7970 overclocks better than the 680 is because of the unlocked voltage controllers, which are locked on most, if not all 680s. You can force ssao on in the nvidia control panel, while you can't in the catalyst control center. ssaa is not the best on the 680 because of the memory bandwidth, while it is fairly smooth on the 7970. I have played skyrim with the 2k textures mod with the bethesda hd texture pack enhancing the textures where not touched by the 2k textures and I have seen the vram usage go up to 2.6gb (for reference I use a 7950).

How is that for unbiased?
November 19, 2012 12:04:13 AM

great thanks i might just wait though. Are there equivalents to ssao for amd if so wat tweaks or mods would that be to make sure the image quality is close or better than nvidia
Related resources
April 8, 2013 2:56:27 AM

brandoncole said:
great thanks i might just wait though. Are there equivalents to ssao for amd if so wat tweaks or mods would that be to make sure the image quality is close or better than nvidia

AMD polygon rendering and and image quality are awesome if compare to nvidia.furthermore ,amd more energy efficient in idle mode
April 8, 2013 3:00:17 AM

Image and polygon rendering are awesome in amd.so if you focus on image quality rather you choose amd.
!