Why does ACDSee access Winsock reg keys when launching?

January 12, 2005 10:28:29 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web,microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev (More info?)

Why does ACDSee access Winsock reg keys when launching?

SysInternals RegMon shows that when my ACDSee (ver 3.1) launches, it
accesses all of the keys and subkeys in:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\WinSock2

where I have got 26 catalogue entries. For example it queries keys
like this one:

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\WinSock
2\Parameters\Protocol_Catalog9\Catalog_Entries\000000000023

Should a graphics viewer like ACDSee be doing this? It seems to make
for a slow launch of ACDSee.

If not, then how can I prevent it?
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
January 12, 2005 10:28:30 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web,microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev (More info?)

"Welcome to ACD Systems' Online Resource Center"
http://www.acdsystems.com/english/support/index

--
Ted Zieglar

"Lem" <z@mail.com> wrote in message news:95DCC61BA1AAED5E712@130.133.1.4...
> Why does ACDSee access Winsock reg keys when launching?
>
> SysInternals RegMon shows that when my ACDSee (ver 3.1) launches, it
> accesses all of the keys and subkeys in:
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\WinSock2
>
> where I have got 26 catalogue entries. For example it queries keys
> like this one:
>
> Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\WinSock
> 2\Parameters\Protocol_Catalog9\Catalog_Entries\000000000023
>
> Should a graphics viewer like ACDSee be doing this? It seems to make
> for a slow launch of ACDSee.
>
> If not, then how can I prevent it?
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
January 12, 2005 10:28:30 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web,microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev (More info?)

Microsoft did not write your ACDSee program. Contact the
author of the ACDSee program and ask them.

Contact ACD Technical Support
http://www.acdsystems.com/English/Support/TechnicalSupp...

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

"Lem" multi-posted:

| Why does ACDSee access Winsock reg keys when launching?
|
| SysInternals RegMon shows that when my ACDSee (ver 3.1) launches, it
| accesses all of the keys and subkeys in:
|
| HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\WinSock2
|
| where I have got 26 catalogue entries. For example it queries keys
| like this one:
|
| Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\WinSock
| 2\Parameters\Protocol_Catalog9\Catalog_Entries\000000000023
|
| Should a graphics viewer like ACDSee be doing this? It seems to make
| for a slow launch of ACDSee.
|
| If not, then how can I prevent it?
January 12, 2005 10:28:30 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

Lem:
ACDSee uses something called ACDSee "In-Touch" . I believe it is a was to
do product updates and to share images through some proprietary means.
You'll have to look at ACDsee product support for suggestions on disabling it.

Regards,
Grendel

"Lem" wrote:

> Why does ACDSee access Winsock reg keys when launching?
>
> SysInternals RegMon shows that when my ACDSee (ver 3.1) launches, it
> accesses all of the keys and subkeys in:
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\WinSock2
>
> where I have got 26 catalogue entries. For example it queries keys
> like this one:
>
> Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\WinSock
> 2\Parameters\Protocol_Catalog9\Catalog_Entries\000000000023
>
> Should a graphics viewer like ACDSee be doing this? It seems to make
> for a slow launch of ACDSee.
>
> If not, then how can I prevent it?

January 13, 2005 2:14:50 PM

On 12 Jan 2005, Ted Zieglar wrote:

> "Welcome to ACD Systems' Online Resource Center"
> http://www.acdsystems.com/english/support/index
>
> --
> Ted Zieglar

Hi Ted, I can see you are another smarty who refers people to Google
and places like the ACDSee website when posters like me have already
tried that sort of thing.

Maybe you could show how smart you are and say which entry on that
website you link to, you have in mind.

Lem

PS - I don't use Intouch and I don't use ACDSee version 4.
January 13, 2005 2:17:12 PM

On 12 Jan 2005, Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:

> Microsoft did not write your ACDSee program. Contact the
> author of the ACDSee program and ask them.
>
> Contact ACD Technical Support
> http://www.acdsystems.com/English/Support/TechnicalSupp...
> t/index.htm

I am assuming that Microsoft wrote the XP calls to graphics routines
which ACDSee uses and it may be that there is some quirk (ha!) in
Microsoft's code which likes to perform a telephone dial-out to some
Microsoft IP. Perhaps as a help function?

I guess from your posting that you have no idea if this is true or
not.
January 13, 2005 2:20:38 PM

On 12 Jan 2005, =?Utf-8?B?R3JlbmRlbA==?= wrote:

> Lem:
> ACDSee uses something called ACDSee "In-Touch" . I believe it
> is a was to do product updates and to share images through some
> proprietary means. You'll have to look at ACDsee product
> support for suggestions on disabling it.
>
> Regards,
> Grendel

Grendel, thanks for your reply.

I do not have ACDSee's InTouch installed. InTouch is an option which
I cheerfully declined at installation and I have since removed the
InTouch files which ACDSee's other utilities (like FotoCanvas) also
install.
!