Is my AGFA snapscan 310p a lemon?

a b \ Driver
January 14, 2005 6:05:06 AM

The software disks that came with it only support 95 and NT, installation of
them even using compatability wizard failed and caused a crash... i have
searched the internet for updates, and found that AGFA stopped producing
driver updates after Windows 2000. unfortunately installing that update also
caused a crash. one advice site suggested that my scanner was re-badged as
the ACER 310p, so i installed the xp driver for that, and can get the
scanner to hum, but there is a device error. Scanners and Camera's wizard
claims that in this state the device is working fine....
if there is no driver available anywhere, how difficult would it be to make?
surely the windows 2000 driver can be adjusted to work? please can anyone
help me- or has my lovely and barely used scanner turned into a
paperweight?!
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
January 14, 2005 6:05:07 AM

It's a really old scanner and I can't find any drivers for you that you
haven't already tried.

I'd suggest something a little newer and a LOT faster like:
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?descripti...
or
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?descripti...

You might want to look on EBay for LiDE 20 or 30 (both recently
discontinued)... I have:
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?descripti...

and love it. I also have an older Canon N1220U which also works fine.
www.coribright.com

"Bret Williams" <bwilliams@slingshot.co.nz> wrote in message
news:o iSHjjX%23EHA.3372@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> The software disks that came with it only support 95 and NT, installation
> of
> them even using compatability wizard failed and caused a crash... i have
> searched the internet for updates, and found that AGFA stopped producing
> driver updates after Windows 2000. unfortunately installing that update
> also
> caused a crash. one advice site suggested that my scanner was re-badged as
> the ACER 310p, so i installed the xp driver for that, and can get the
> scanner to hum, but there is a device error. Scanners and Camera's wizard
> claims that in this state the device is working fine....
> if there is no driver available anywhere, how difficult would it be to
> make?
> surely the windows 2000 driver can be adjusted to work? please can anyone
> help me- or has my lovely and barely used scanner turned into a
> paperweight?!

Anonymous
a b \ Driver
January 16, 2005 3:25:47 AM

thanks, yeah i suppose it is getting old by todays standards- mind you it
feels like only yesterday to me that i laughed at the "new" windows 2.1 ,and
thought this will never replace trusty old DOS....
is there some way i can re-write the windows2000 driver to work on xp? the
only problem seems to be the location it copies the files to or the nature
of how it adjusts whatever autoexec and cofig files that windows uses?
i am only a cook in small town New Zealand, i have enough trouble affording
my own lunch let alone a new scanner!
!