Why i cant reach more than 100mbps

Tags:
  • LAN
  • Internet
  • Networking
Last response: in Networking
December 26, 2011 10:53:47 AM

Hello,

I have this problem of mine where I can't get my provider to change my 4-pin internet plug into an 8-pin one. I changed my plan from 100Mbps to 400Mbps and I can't even use it at all! I read that 8-pin ones can go up to 1Gbps, so reaching my 400Mbps would be a cinch... Am I correct in thinking like this? If so, how can I convince them to change it for me?

More about : reach 100mbps

December 26, 2011 2:34:24 PM

what kind of internet connection do you have?
December 26, 2011 2:44:31 PM

I'm not really knowledgeable with the exact words in english.. it's an optic thingy that comes to the box in the building, however I have a normal CAT5e cable going to my pc.
Related resources
December 27, 2011 6:36:13 AM

Heike said:
I'm not really knowledgeable with the exact words in english.. it's an optic thingy that comes to the box in the building, however I have a normal CAT5e cable going to my pc.

Does it show "SONET" anywhere?

I get dizzy thinking about an Internet connection that fast. In my somewhat-backwards country, we are quite lucky to get 4Mbps on a cable connection. You went from 100 to 400Mbps? Good grief, where do you live? I want to move.

December 27, 2011 7:47:39 AM

Or maybe, for M read m or more likely, read k. :D 
December 28, 2011 10:00:37 AM

tigsounds said:
Does it show "SONET" anywhere?

I get dizzy thinking about an Internet connection that fast. In my somewhat-backwards country, we are quite lucky to get 4Mbps on a cable connection. You went from 100 to 400Mbps? Good grief, where do you live? I want to move.

I live in Lithuania, and I spoke with my provider's boss and he said it should be implemented this week cuz the hardware does not fit properly... I know a few peeps with 300Mbps but a different provider.
December 28, 2011 3:58:53 PM

Saga Lout said:

Or maybe, for M read m or more likely, read k. :D 

I'm packing. Look HERE.

300Mbps speeds are common (for a slightly higher price). Don't miss this statement from that web page:
Quote:
"Lithuania considers its lowest quality light user plan 10/10Mbps, which it sells for a paltry $14.72 a month, for unlimited access."

That article is not especially new. 400Mbps is very likely to be accurate now.

@Heike:

I don't know what the situation is with your 4 pin vs 8 pin wire situation. To have a 400Mbps connection is going to tax your system resources hard to move that data into your computer and actually store it someplace. That speed is faster than hard drive access was just a few years ago. If your ISP supplies software to run that speed, install it because it will probably be making major changes to the receive buffers to accommodate the incoming data flow. You need to talk to your ISP more on the wire thing.
December 31, 2011 6:52:39 PM

tigsounds said:

@Heike:
I don't know what the situation is with your 4 pin vs 8 pin wire situation. To have a 400Mbps connection is going to tax your system resources hard to move that data into your computer and actually store it someplace. That speed is faster than hard drive access was just a few years ago. If your ISP supplies software to run that speed, install it because it will probably be making major changes to the receive buffers to accommodate the incoming data flow. You need to talk to your ISP more on the wire thing.

Sorry for the late reply.

While the plan says 400 I doubt I'll get as much, if I get at least 1/2 would be good and 3/4 would be Ideal :D  They've been meddling with the box for a while now and I called them and they said they know what to do and that it should be done this week.. (work days already ended rofl). In any event, I'm not sure I understood very well what you said.. did you perhaps mean hardware? Sure it will put a huge amount of data into my system, but I'm planning to rebuild it soon anyway, so no probs there.

It's very creepy to look how they do the job tho.. the equipment didn't fit into their regular box so they ripped it half to shreds and stuck in some huge black thing.. :D  Looks like it got shot by a cannon...
January 1, 2012 4:23:05 AM

As long as they are going to work on it, it's best to let them be responsible for it.

I need a set of jumper cables to reach from my house to yours. I'll pay the internet bill.

Did you see up above? I can hardly get 4Mbps here and you're about to get 400Mbps. Somehow it just doesn't seem fair. Oh well, enjoy knowing you have the fastest home internet speed on the planet there.
:D 
January 1, 2012 8:56:43 AM

@tigsounds - you could try to cast a cable all the way to Lithuania, or you could move to any of the burgeoning community based companies popping up in the U.S.

For example, you can get Gigabit internet (that's 1000mbps!) from EPB, just move to Chattanooga, TN. No data caps there, either.

https://www.epb.net/

The large providers are seriously dragging their feet on upgrading their infrastructure, to the point where utility companies step in to not get left behind with the rest of the U.S.

This is one reason that i believe an unregulated, open market isn't exactly competitive when it comes to networking... they can maintain greedy data caps and old standards (copper wire is still predominant in most areas of the nation fer pete's sakes!) as long as their main competition doesn't dig in and upgrade to what they could have.
January 1, 2012 8:56:01 PM

Quote:
For example, you can get Gigabit internet (that's 1000mbps!) from EPB, just move to Chattanooga, TN. No data caps there, either.

See, this is my problem here. My somewhat backwards country is more like severely backwards.

How bad is it? Well, "Disco" is still very popular on the radio and over half the population now has a color TV. On the bight side, our soda pop is still made with sugar.

January 1, 2012 8:58:59 PM

tigsounds said:
As long as they are going to work on it, it's best to let them be responsible for it.

I need a set of jumper cables to reach from my house to yours. I'll pay the internet bill.

Did you see up above? I can hardly get 4Mbps here and you're about to get 400Mbps. Somehow it just doesn't seem fair. Oh well, enjoy knowing you have the fastest home internet speed on the planet there.
:D 

Heh, well I do wonder if I'll get it in January... The information providers at their office exclaimed that they installed it and that I should get 400, while speaking to the top brass we found out that it's yet to be applied... I have been with this ISP for 7 years now and there have been very few problems, even with speed. So I find it strange and am a bit baffled by the contradictions that have taken place.
As I don't know what kind of equipment is needed I can't really comment if what they already put is all that is needed or just a portion... Also funny that when asked for a name (when speaking to guys above) they refused to give out one... :o 

@phylum_sinter - Even though I haven't used this ISP you recommended, it somehow does sound low-quality one after reading up at their website.. but it just could be for me only :D 

Kinda curious: is there any way other than some website like speedtest to see what you actually get..?
January 2, 2012 3:09:07 PM

Heike said:
@phylum_sinter - Even though I haven't used this ISP you recommended, it somehow does sound low-quality one after reading up at their website.. but it just could be for me only :D 

What part of it sounds low quality exactly? It's from the power company there locally...

About other ways to test your connection speed - as far as i know, mosty of the speed testing tools around are through websites. speedtest is far from the only one out there, but i think their network of servers to ping is probably the largest. Here's a list of 9 alternatives if you find errors consistantly with speedtest. - http://www.shoutmeloud.com/10-best-way-to-check-your-in...

There are also some apps though that allow you to ping multiple servers worldwide to test speed. here's a free one: http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/download_speed_tester.html

@tigsounds, sorry, i didn't notice you were in Venezuela earlier... here in the u.s., it's been universities upgrading their networks before any corporate entity takes the lead - corporations seem to believe that the demand is still too low to justify investing. There are may be similar projects like this starting in Venezuela too, I wasn't able to find any though myself (i blame having to search in english, i don't know enough spanish to do otherwise ;) 

The main projects to upgrade to gigabit internet here in the u.s. are The other things that are happening here in the U.S. are google preparing free gigabit internet to a bunch of communities:

http://www.google.com/appserve/fiberrfi/public/overview

and the gig.u project, started by a collective of 30 universities to upgrade the communities around them to gigabit internet.

http://www.gig-u.org/
January 3, 2012 3:07:25 AM

phylum_sinter said:

@tigsounds, sorry, i didn't notice you were in Venezuela earlier...

What gave it away.. the part about disco music on the radio? Think I'm kidding? Watch a few soap operas on Univision there in the U.S., ones that were made by Venevision in Venezuela. (It shows at the very beginning of the program). Often you can hear a radio playing in the background... that's a true radio station playing that stuff. Yes the BeeGees are still popular here. :( 

Our internet is not rated against dial-up for speed because less than 20% of all buildings in this country have a wired telephone so nobody knows about dial-up speed- can't get it to compare it.

!