Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Portable storage question

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
June 25, 2005 5:55:51 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

Just came back from a 2-week vacation. I had 3 GB of SD storage (for a 6 MP
dSLR) and was constantly afraid of running out of storage such that I did
not always store at the best quality. I did manage to fill up all that 3 GB.
My question is the current state of portable storage besides iPod Photo.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
June 25, 2005 6:51:28 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

"TW" <hong236@adelphia.net> wrote in message
news:Z-idnSIqZsAxByDfRVn-sg@adelphia.com...
> Just came back from a 2-week vacation. I had 3 GB of SD storage (for a 6
> MP dSLR) and was constantly afraid of running out of storage such that I
> did not always store at the best quality. I did manage to fill up all that
> 3 GB. My question is the current state of portable storage besides iPod
> Photo.
>

Look for Roadstor on ebay, they are available for less than $100.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
June 25, 2005 11:50:54 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

"TW" <hong236@adelphia.net> wrote in message
news:Z-idnSIqZsAxByDfRVn-sg@adelphia.com...
> Just came back from a 2-week vacation. I had 3 GB of SD storage (for a 6
> MP dSLR) and was constantly afraid of running out of storage such that I
> did not always store at the best quality. I did manage to fill up all that
> 3 GB. My question is the current state of portable storage besides iPod
> Photo.
>

I have the Epson P-2000, takes SD, CF and I have an XD-CF adapter. Amazing
bit of kit.
Related resources
Anonymous
a b G Storage
June 26, 2005 2:18:17 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

"TW" <hong236@adelphia.net> wrote in message
news:Z-idnSIqZsAxByDfRVn-sg@adelphia.com...
> Just came back from a 2-week vacation. I had 3 GB of SD storage (for a 6
MP
> dSLR) and was constantly afraid of running out of storage such that I did
> not always store at the best quality. I did manage to fill up all that 3
GB.
> My question is the current state of portable storage besides iPod Photo.
>


My answer is more SD cards.

Tiny, quick, simple, getting very cheap.
Why transfer when you don't need to?



--
Jeff R.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
June 26, 2005 2:18:18 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

Jeff R wrote:
> "TW" <hong236@adelphia.net> wrote in message
> news:Z-idnSIqZsAxByDfRVn-sg@adelphia.com...
>> Just came back from a 2-week vacation. I had 3 GB of SD storage (for
>> a 6 MP dSLR) and was constantly afraid of running out of storage
>> such that I did not always store at the best quality. I did manage
>> to fill up all that 3 GB. My question is the current state of
>> portable storage besides iPod Photo.
>>
>
>
> My answer is more SD cards.
>
> Tiny, quick, simple, getting very cheap.
> Why transfer when you don't need to?

As an insurance in case the card fails, is damaged by the camera, lost or
stolen.

David
Anonymous
a b G Storage
June 26, 2005 9:57:12 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

"David J Taylor"
<david-taylor@blueyonder.co.not-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk.invalid> wrote in
message news:7Ysve.56649$G8.30617@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
> Jeff R wrote:
> > "TW" <hong236@adelphia.net> wrote in message
> > news:Z-idnSIqZsAxByDfRVn-sg@adelphia.com...
> >> Just came back from a 2-week vacation. I had 3 GB of SD storage (for
> >> a 6 MP dSLR) and was constantly afraid of running out of storage
> >> such that I did not always store at the best quality. I did manage
> >> to fill up all that 3 GB. My question is the current state of
> >> portable storage besides iPod Photo.
> >>
> >
> >
> > My answer is more SD cards.
> >
> > Tiny, quick, simple, getting very cheap.
> > Why transfer when you don't need to?
>
> As an insurance in case the card fails, is damaged by the camera, lost or
> stolen.
>
> David

Well, yes, but that's not what was originally the problem - storage space.
And anyway, carrying a bunch of spare cards solves most of those problems.
If the card is going to be damaged by the camera, then you're not likely to
have dumped its contents beforehand.
If the card fails, you've got a stack of others. An iPod isn't much use in
that case.

Lost or stolen? Appies equally to any iPoddy-type gadgets (probably more so)
too.

Admittedly, I take a laptop if I'm going away for more than a few days, but
that is arguably *much* more useful than the little storage doo-hickeys
currently being flogged - and at around $1k, not much more pricey.

Still just my 2¢

--
Jeff R.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
June 26, 2005 9:57:13 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

Jeff R wrote:
[]
> Well, yes, but that's not what was originally the problem - storage
> space. And anyway, carrying a bunch of spare cards solves most of
> those problems. If the card is going to be damaged by the camera,
> then you're not likely to have dumped its contents beforehand.
> If the card fails, you've got a stack of others. An iPod isn't much
> use in that case.

Depends how you work - at a recent week long event I had 3 x 2GB cards,
but only used about 1.5 cards. Every night I backed up what I had taken
that day. So I was using it as backup, not to increase capacity (although
that would have been another option).

> Lost or stolen? Appies equally to any iPoddy-type gadgets (probably
> more so) too.

Of course, but perhaps the likelihood of both your cards and your portable
storage being lost or stolen can be less if you store and carry them
separately.

> Admittedly, I take a laptop if I'm going away for more than a few
> days, but that is arguably *much* more useful than the little storage
> doo-hickeys currently being flogged - and at around $1k, not much
> more pricey.

For me, a portable is far too big and heavy to carry, unless it is
essential (e.g. on a business trip). It also makes a much more obvious
target at airports and stations. I find the Epson P-2000 much more
convenient, but each to his own.

Cheers,
David
Anonymous
a b G Storage
June 28, 2005 12:34:01 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

"TW" <hong236@adelphia.net> writes:

> Just came back from a 2-week vacation. I had 3 GB of SD storage (for a 6 MP
> dSLR) and was constantly afraid of running out of storage such that I did
> not always store at the best quality. I did manage to fill up all that 3 GB.
> My question is the current state of portable storage besides iPod Photo.

Ipod photo is HUGE. I have the 60Gb. I'm on the cusp of buying the
belking CF card reader for it to make my CF cards immortal while on
location.

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Merc...

--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/
!