Building old system to new

tr1x-

Honorable
Jan 3, 2013
Hi there co-hardware fanatics,

After having allot of fun using my Asus p5w DH Deluxe mobo + E6600 duo core, it was time to take them to the graveyard.

Current Setup:
Asus p5w DH deluxe
CPU E6600 duo core
GPU GTX550TI 1.5GB P.O.V
PSU: Zalmann 600WATT
Ram: GEIL 8gb dual-channel
HDD:WD320GB
Me as a noob, been looking at some new hardware for a good fundament (in my opinion)
ASrock Z77 Xtreme 4
Intel i5 3570K
RAM: Corsair vengeance 2x4GB dual-channel

Taking parts from my old setup
GTX550TI 1.5GB P.O.V
PSU:Zalmann 600WATT
HDD: WD 320GB (I think)

Busy with saving for a new GFX card. Id be glad to hear your guys oppinion over this build that I have in mind. And if I can get higher FPS than 30 within BF3 with the new fundament, mobo/cpu/ram combined with my old GPU and HDD.

Looking forward to your feedback, thanks in advance

Br,

Stephan

G

yes you will see an increase in FPS with just upgrading the platform (cpu/mother/RAM) though not nearly as much when upgrading the graphics card. i have been trying to find an article i read with some good benchmarks showing an older C2D getting 60% of the fps of an i5 with a 7970 - but i didn't bookmark it and can't find it ATM :p

what zalmann PSU is that? of the three reviews i found for their 600 watt models, two were good but one was very "less than desirable"
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Zalman-ZM600-HP-600-W-Power-Supply-Review/402/11
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Zalman-ZM600-RS-Power-Supply-Review/888/9
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Zalman-ZM600-ST-Power-Supply-Review/981/10

though you really won't be adding much more wattage, except when you overclock that i5 (btw, you getting a cooler for that?); it may be time to put that zalmann in the "retirement box". no sense in spending several hundred dollars and skimp out w/o buying a $60 PSU to be safe. (btw, i looked @ your mobo you have now, that PSU does have an 8 pin ATX power connection? the mobo you have uses a 4 not 8)

but overall that is the most recommended/suggested build here on this forum . . .

tr1x-

Honorable
Jan 3, 2013
Hi Looniam, thank you for your feedback.

Great to hear that I will see a fps increase with upgrading only my mobo,cpu and ram. I am aware that I will need a new GFX card, saving money for this. I thought it would be alot better to build a new fundament as ''mobo,cpu and ram'' So I can start building on this fundament for the term. I know this c2d is very overclockable, the gear is abit old about 4 to 5 years so overclocking isnt that stable as I hoped it would be, thats why my choice goes for this new fundament of mobo/cpu/ram.

I've got the better PSU. Psu will be heading towards the graveyard also when Im having the correct budget to do so. As it is right now, I am not yet keen to o'c that 3570k, as it's not nessasary yet (in my oppinion)

I think my PSU has an 8pin ATX connection, only the 4 pin is plugged in now indeed. Most of the time the new mobo's use an 8 pin, the 4 pin will fit in, I've asked on another forum, it won't bottleneck OCing (if 600WATT doesnt bottleneck it) in the future with the 4 pin connector, but I think it has an 8pin connection ability also.

Yes Looniam, I've done my homework, just as I did this 4 to 5 years ago with the old build of me. Had great fun with it :)

I know that other people suggest another motherboard also, like an m-ATX board, to lower the price. As I am not keen on getting GPU in SLI/crossfire, it might be a better choice (pricewise) to go for an mini-atx board?

Thanks in advance already.

Best regards

tr1x-

Honorable
Jan 3, 2013
By the way, my friend told me I should go for a Mini ATX board, the M-D3H?
He told me that it wont really decrease performance anymore, as the board are getting better.

G

there is nothing wrong with a mini ATX board if your fingers are nimlble enogh to work in them; mine are a bit stubby. though i believe you will find more power phases (VRMs) on a full sized ATX board. those will help attain a higher and more stable overclock.

you can see the difference looking at the pics of a gygabyte Z77-d3h and a z77m-d3h
those little black boxes by the cpu socket are the chokes for the phases; more chokes, more phases. but i can't say it a decrease in performance.

tr1x-

Honorable
Jan 3, 2013
Oke, thanks for the explaination.

Would you recommend an 3570K to me? or is there another great I5 for a better price/kwality, so I can pump in the money I save in a better gpu.

tr1x-

Honorable
Jan 3, 2013
Allright, for now I've got this spec:
CPU: 3350P €154
MOBO: ASRock B75 Pro3-M €60
RAM: Corsair vengeance 2x4GB @1600MHZ €34

Total package: €248

I know this build can't O'C as the 3570k build I've posted earlier, but as I'm not so keen in OC'ing, I might think this new build for 248 euro's might be the best bang for buck choice I have.

Besides this, I have a new GPU in mind:
Club3D Radeon HD 7870 XT JokerCard (Tahiti LE) €213 euro's

This GFX card comes out pretty good in benchmarks @ BF3. BIG fps...

Curious in your opinion!

G

i see that lately people have been eating up those 3350Ps like they're extacy at a rave. i really haven't seen any reviews of them though i suspect they are a good budget i5. if you don't need/want the intel graphics for qucik sync to video encode, for uploading to you tube then go for it. the best non K alternative i have seen is the 3470s.

as long as you only need 1 PCI x16 slot for a graphics card and 1 SATA 6Gbs port for an SSD there is nothing wrong with a B75 motherboard for the budget minded gamer.

now THAT joker card . .really phenomenal! i have seen some crazy high benchmarks for that card and have gotten into a lot of arguments with people who say a 7870 can beat a GTX 660ti/670 . .of course they can't BUT THAT card can.

you got something there and it will game rather well at high settings. btw, i saw your other thread where some morons where bad mouthing your 550ti. i had a i3-2120 and the 550ti that is now my physX card (because i haven't sold it or given it away yet) i played BF3 single player at medium settings and ran ~45 fps with some dips in the mid 30s. wasn't that bad at all, not all that great but far from bad . . .

cheers.

tr1x-

Honorable
Jan 3, 2013
Looniam, thank you again for replying.

With all those diffrent i5 processors on the market, it is really hard for a person that has been out of the 'hardware game' for a while, to make a good decision. Price/quality wise and some bit of future proofness :)

I will need atleast 1 pci x16 yes. 1 Sata slot, does this mean that if I want to put my old HDD WD baracuda 320gb on SATA, an SSD can't get in anymore? Otherwise I might have to go for a 2x SATA connector.

Because this ASROCK b75 mbo tells me in the ''details'' that it has 2 sata connections
http://www.alternate.nl/html/product/ASRock/B75_Pro3-M/1000000/?event=search

Wich ofcourse is nice, as price/quality (I guess)

That Joker card, Looniam I can tell you, I am amazed. In my current budget a new gfx card, just doesn't fit in (unfortunatly). That was the reason why I was hammering with questions if this new CPU / RAM would boost my GTX550TI for a little, just for the meanwhile im saving money for a new gfx card:) but still can enjoy gaming with a slight improvement of FPS in bf3. I am already playing BF3 with ''alright fps'' 25 to 30, I find the game so much fun that I just play 1 map that doesnt ask so much power ''Canals'' haha :)

Anyways, the gtx550ti is an allright gpu. My cpu is comeplete bottleneck in BF3, when I OC my cpu to 3.2ghz (stock 2.4) I can see a tremendous FPS increase, not very stable as a system. I just get a bluescreen after 30 minutes of stressing the cpu oced. Has to do with my cooling, that proves that the gtx550ti can handle allot with a better cpu (in my opinion)

Good to hear that you have had a 550ti also, with decent fps. Ill run a FPS check right now on MP BF3, ill post a screenshot here :)

Cheers mate, thnx again for the advice.

tr1x-

Honorable
Jan 3, 2013
I just checked BF3 again, did some software downgrades on the nvidia driver. Now i have 35fps, lowest 15fps :p sometimes it drops..

G

usually a B75 motherboard has 1 sata 6Gbs and 3 sata 3Gbs. - the 6 Gbs is what would be better for an SSD but looking at the specs on the asrock site:
http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/B75%20Pro3-M/?cat=Specifications
- 5 x SATA2 3.0 Gb/s connectors, support NCQ, AHCI and Hot Plug functions
- 3 x SATA3 6.0 Gb/s connectors

though the sata 6Gbs:
- 1 x SATA3 6.0 Gb/s connector by Intel® B75, supports NCQ, AHCI and Hot Plug functions
- 2 x SATA3 6.0 Gb/s connectors by ASMedia ASM1061, support NCQ, AHCI and Hot Plug functions

the first one by Intel® B75 is the port you can connect an SSD to install an OS to, the other 2 by ASMedia ASM1061 are not supported to boot from. the motherboard is fine, i just thought to point out everything so you know exactly what you will get.

and you will get a much lower fps with the E6600 then what i got with an i3-2120. if you are still running @ stock speed of 2.4 Ghz, wow that is slow for gaming anymore (seems like 3.0Ghz is the start of happiness) i don't know if you can expect to get 30% more with an i5 but i would not be overly surprised.

i looked on that site you linked for the B75 and seen this when you look for a PSU to replace that zalmann:
http://www.alternate.nl/html/product/XFX/PRO550W_Core_Edition/838244/?tk=7&lk=3892

it is 50 watts less than what you have but it is made by seasonic; one of the best PSU makers today. just a suggeston if you want to think about it.

cheers.

tr1x-

Honorable
Jan 3, 2013
Thanks again Looniam!

The zalman is just about fine, ZW600watt, one of the best psu's still there:p

Now its the question when im buying the setup :) Thnx for all ur help!