Sign in with
Your question

Graphics card prevents system from turning on

Last response: in Systems
January 3, 2013 2:10:09 PM

So I built a new computer today. Well, it's not completely built - it's at this breadboard state on my table.
The thing is, it only reaches the bios when the graphics card in not plugged into the mobo. When the Graphics card is in, everything seems to function (fans spin, lights turn on), but the monitor displays no output.

CPU --- Intel Core i5-2500K
Motherboard --- Asrock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3
Graphics card --- Asus 1GB GeForce GTX 560TI
Memory --- 8GB (2x4GB) Corsair Vengeance LP
Boot drive --- OCZ Agility 3 60GBSolid State Hard Drive
Storage drive --- WD Caviar Blue 500GB 7200RPM HDD
Power supply --- Corsair Enthusiast Series CMPSU-650TX
Case --- Cooler Master HAF 912 Plus
Optical drive --- LG BH10LS38.AUAR
Cooler --- Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO

Monitor --- Benq XL2420T

Currently, only the CPU, Motherboard, RAM, Video card and PSU are in use, the rest are installed separately in my case and no connections or power go to them.
So what's the problem? Is my PSU maybe not powerful enough?
January 3, 2013 2:29:24 PM

Oh man I've went through that list many times now.

*edit* added my cooler to the list, just in case. I'm using the stock cooler currently, though.

Anybody who owns my video card model probably knows that it has those two lights that go either green or orange, to show if the card is getting power - mine are both green. Still, is there a way to test those PCI-E connectors to see if they function correctly?
Related resources
January 3, 2013 3:39:33 PM

Could you post a picture of your rig?
January 3, 2013 3:52:05 PM

helpstar said:
Could you post a picture of your rig?

Why do you need a picture?

*edit* Anyways the card seems fried, I'll let a pro check it.
January 3, 2013 9:58:06 PM

Out of curiousity. Two heads are better than one :) 
January 4, 2013 12:31:29 PM

Ok, so what I did was put the computer together without the video card, meaning I used the motherboard's integrated. I installed windows and everything was fine. Then I just thought that I should put the video card into the PC too, which now was running windows 7. Everything worked fine, surprisingly. Installing drivers and stuff right now.
January 4, 2013 1:47:03 PM

Connection issues? But hey, as long as it works.
January 4, 2013 2:49:09 PM

Glad you solved it, the GeForce 500 series cards are terrible for seating in the PCI-E slot correctly usually due to the weight of their cooling rigs.
!