Sign in with
Your question

Can a 430 - 450 Watt PSU handle these Cards safely ?

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Cooler Master
  • HD
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 19, 2012 10:42:35 AM

Hello,

Is this cooler master model capable enough to safely run the following graphics cards -

Cooler Master Thunder 450W
(RS-450-ACAB-M3)
http://www.coolermaster.in/product.php?product_id=6736

Graphics cards models - HD 6850, HD 7750 , HD 7770, HD 7850, GTX 550 Ti, GTX 560 Ti

If all the cards are not safe to run then which ones are ?

If I use this model - Corsair CX430 V2 http://www.corsair.com/builder-series-cx430-v2-80plus-c...

which of the above mentioned cards will safely run ?

Thanks,

More about : 430 450 watt psu handle cards safely

a b U Graphics card
November 19, 2012 11:49:43 AM

coolermaster is known as bad psu except their silent pro series..
fake wattage label, horrible rail and ripple etc..

it's not safe to run HD 7770, HD 7850, GTX 550 Ti, GTX 560 Ti and HD 6850 with that psu..

the exception with 7750, because low wattage consume..
m
l
November 19, 2012 4:18:17 PM

If I use this model - Corsair CX430 V2 http://www.corsair.com/builder-ser [...] upply.html

Will these cards be safe to run ?

HD 7770, HD 7850, GTX 550 Ti, GTX 560 Ti and HD 6850
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
November 19, 2012 5:43:06 PM

The Corsair is a much better choice. I usually recommend Seasonic though.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 19, 2012 5:53:04 PM

Tom_100 said:
Hello,

Is this cooler master model capable enough to safely run the following graphics cards -

Cooler Master Thunder 450W
(RS-450-ACAB-M3)
http://www.coolermaster.in/product.php?product_id=6736

Graphics cards models - HD 6850, HD 7750 , HD 7770, HD 7850, GTX 550 Ti, GTX 560 Ti

If all the cards are not safe to run then which ones are ?

If I use this model - Corsair CX430 V2 http://www.corsair.com/builder-series-cx430-v2-80plus-c...

which of the above mentioned cards will safely run ?

Thanks,

Q1

No that PSU is terrible.

Q2

U can run The new gen cards

6850=125W
7750=49W
7770=84W
7850=122W
560Ti=197W (a bit hard here)
550Ti=152W

I dont know what CPU u use but cx 430 W can deliver 369 W on the 12V .(that is what CPU and GPU uses)

So u will be ok with this psu !

m
l
a c 87 U Graphics card
November 19, 2012 5:58:26 PM

CX 430 V2 and especially the V1 are not excellent models. The CX 430 V2 decent, nothing more. I know from experience that they are nothing like the quality of the higher end Corsair lines. An excellent PSU in this range would be the Antec VP-450. More efficient, more reliable, and cheaper with much better power delviery (it can easily handle even most high-end graphics single GPU cards such as the Radeon 7970 and GTX 680 so long as you're not a big overclocker and don't have a very power-hungry CPU and other unusually power-hungry components). The only real issue is that it only has one six-pin PCIe connector.
m
l
a c 206 U Graphics card
November 19, 2012 6:03:39 PM

Keep that "V2" Builder cool though. While much better than CM, the "V2" was built by CWT, not Seasonic, using inferior Samxon capacitors from a line known to experience early failure. This information comes from a thread over at HardwareSecrets, a site I trust for PSU information.
I would not run a GTX560Ti (or other card needing two PCIe connectors) on it, but the others should be ok.
On a budget, the Antec VP-450 (FSP-built) is another good choice. It is efficient enough for 80+, but is disqualified for not having active PFC. It is the only PSU I can think of with a little voltage switch on it that is not an older, obsolete design.
m
l
a c 87 U Graphics card
November 19, 2012 6:04:32 PM

Onus said:
Keep that "V2" Builder cool though. While much better than CM, the "V2" was built by CWT, not Seasonic, using inferior Samxon capacitors from a line known to experience early failure. This information comes from a thread over at HardwareSecrets, a site I trust for PSU information.
I would not run a GTX560Ti (or other card needing two PCIe connectors) on it, but the others should be ok.
On a budget, the Antec VP-450 (FSP-built) is another good choice. It is efficient enough for 80+, but is disqualified for not having active PFC. It is the only PSU I can think of with a little voltage switch on it that is not an older, obsolete design.

Unless I'm mistaken, I think that the VP-450 might actually be efficient enough for the Bronze certification if not for its PFC *woes*.
m
l
a c 206 U Graphics card
November 19, 2012 6:09:36 PM

It might be; the review is at HardwareSecrets for those sufficiently motivated to look for it. If I needed a cheap PSU, it would be on my short list, although I typically favor modular units now.
Another good one is the 80+ Gold Seasonic G-360. It can handle any graphics card with a single PCIe power connector, as long as you're not running a 125W CPU AND a high overclock.
m
l
a c 87 U Graphics card
November 19, 2012 6:17:24 PM

Onus said:
It might be; the review is at HardwareSecrets for those sufficiently motivated to look for it. If I needed a cheap PSU, it would be on my short list, although I typically favor modular units now.
Another good one is the 80+ Gold Seasonic G-360. It can handle any graphics card with a single PCIe power connector, as long as you're not running a 125W CPU AND a high overclock.

That is a good unit too, but at best, it's twice as expensive from what I've seen. It's no big deal considering that's still not a whole lot more expensive, but it's still enough to put it in the range of higher wattage models such as the modular Antec HCG-400M and Antec BP550 Plus.
m
l
a c 206 U Graphics card
November 19, 2012 6:20:57 PM

True. The BP550 Plus in particular is another excellent budget PSU. To a greater extreme than most, I freely admit to being big on efficiency. The last two PSUs I bought were G-360s. One seems to have a loud fan, but I'm not sure that's it yet (being deaf in one ear makes it hard for me to track the source of sounds in a closed case).
m
l
a c 87 U Graphics card
November 19, 2012 6:30:20 PM

Yeah, I can understand that. I was in a long *fight* with another member about the GTX 480 versus the Radeon 7850 because of energy efficiency (pro 7850).
m
l
November 19, 2012 6:51:54 PM

Well, considering the talk about PSUs, I have a CoolerMaster GX 450W Bronze, 'tis cool and quiet. Not had any problems with it for over a year now. They can be bought for £25-£30.

Just thought I'd throw that in.
m
l
a c 206 U Graphics card
November 19, 2012 7:04:38 PM

That is one of the few units they sell that isn't [near] junk. I cannot ethically recommend ANY CM product, however. Willful dishonesty has turned up in competent technical reviews of some of their products (not just overrating, but falsely claiming the presence of protection circuits that are in fact missing, AND an interview in which they plan to keep selling them, just not in North America).
m
l
November 19, 2012 7:20:27 PM

Onus said:
That is one of the few units they sell that isn't [near] junk. I cannot ethically recommend ANY CM product, however. Willful dishonesty has turned up in competent technical reviews of some of their products (not just overrating, but falsely claiming the presence of protection circuits that are in fact missing, AND an interview in which they plan to keep selling them, just not in North America).

Can't recommend ANY? They make good cases and heatsinks.. Some of their PSUs do reach their labeled power, albeit with flaws.

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Cooler-Master-eX...

At least it won't blow up at 500w, which is better than many. (COUGH Logisys, diablotek, coolmax, raidmax, etc)
m
l
a c 87 U Graphics card
November 19, 2012 7:24:30 PM

rambisco said:
Can't recommend ANY? They make good cases and heatsinks.. Some of their PSUs do reach their labeled power, albeit with flaws.

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Cooler-Master-eX...

At least it won't blow up at 500w, which is better than many. (COUGH Logisys, diablotek, coolmax, raidmax, etc)

Sure, many of their heatsinks and cases are good to great. However, even the cheaper Antec VP-450 can pull more power more efficiently than that model.

Also, I think that Onus' statement was about not liking the idea of supporting a cheating/lying company, not ignoring the quality of some of their other products.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 19, 2012 7:31:53 PM

VP450 so good.
It's only $40 sometimes even as cheap as $30-35. It actually has 550w maximum output and 80+ Bronze at 20-80% load and 80 at 100%
m
l
a c 87 U Graphics card
November 19, 2012 7:41:52 PM

They do not have nearly the same power output. The VP 450 can reliable go up to about 550W whereas the CX 430 V2 would struggle greatly to get anywhere near that and would probably fail if you tried that often. The CX430 can't even deliver its rated wattage as efficiently as the VP-450 delivers 100W over its rated wattage. They're not even comparable quality, the VP-450 wins without any competition.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 19, 2012 7:47:30 PM

blazorthon said:
They do not have nearly the same power output. The VP 450 can reliable go up to about 550W whereas the CX 430 V2 would struggle greatly to get anywhere near that and would probably fail if you tried that often. The CX430 can't even deliver its rated wattage as efficiently as the VP-450 delivers 100W over its rated wattage. They're not even comparable quality, the VP-450 wins without any competition.

READ REVIEW'S -_-'

12V is what CPU and GPU use's. Vp-450 has just 24W more one it.

And both can get to 550W easily and still stay on 80%
m
l
a c 87 U Graphics card
November 19, 2012 7:51:31 PM

prototype18 said:
READ REVIEW'S -_-'

12V is what CPU and GPU use's. Vp-450 has just 24W more one it.

And both can get to 550W easily and still stay on 80%

I did read your links and other reviews. The CX-430 couldn't even run at 430W at 80% whereas the VP-450 can run at over 81% at 550W. It can't even breach 400W without dropping under 80% efficiency, so I have no clue as to where you got this idea of it hitting 550W (remember, bad caps and such), let alone doing it efficiently. Say what you will, but you're wrong and your own links (as well as others) say so.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 19, 2012 7:53:53 PM

blazorthon said:
I did read your links and other reviews. The CX-430 couldn't even run at 430W at 80% whereas the VP-450 can run at over 81% at 550W. Say what you will, but you're wrong and your own links (as well as others) say so.

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Antec-VP450-Powe...

At 450W 3W less than Cx 430W at peak.

At overload it gets only 24 + than cx .

ONLY when its delivering 430W is a tad below 80%. Else is a great power supply and would have gotten golden.
And IS cheaper
m
l
a c 87 U Graphics card
November 19, 2012 7:58:11 PM

prototype18 said:

At 450W 3W less than Cx 430W at peak.

At overload it gets only 24 + than cx .

ONLY when its delivering 430W is a tad below 80%. Else is a great power supply and would have gotten golden.
And IS cheaper

Your link, again, doesn't help your case. Under 80% at 430W when the VP-450 manages more than a 100W higher load than that with over 81% efficiency is not worthy of praise.

I've owned several CX 430 V1s and V2s and can say for sure that you're wrong about them. It is decent, but the Antec VP-450 is better in every functional way other than its PCIe connectors, not that it matters since the CX430 V2 would struggle to use its full PCIe connectors without failing anyway.

Furthermore, IDK where you're looking, but the Antec VP-450 is cheaper than the CX-430 V2 in the USA.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 19, 2012 8:21:53 PM

Iv tried Cx 430 . 2 builds till know with over 1.5 Year passed. So thats why i rec it.
m
l
a c 87 U Graphics card
November 19, 2012 8:58:00 PM

I've had several. Like I said, it's decent, but it's simply inferior to the Antec VP-450.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 19, 2012 9:04:25 PM

Anw i would still choose it .My last antec HCG 620 failed within 2 days.

So antec is out of my way.

Only XFX / Corsair / Seasonic and surely PCP MK.
m
l
a c 206 U Graphics card
November 19, 2012 10:47:43 PM

You were correct, I refuse to support CM for dishonesty. Some of their cases are high quality, and their coolers are frequently recommended. I won't touch either, and I am glad they have competitors offering similar products at similar prices.

Whatever a new one can do, remember the bad caps issue with the Corsair V2. Keep it under stress (e.g. heat it up), and those caps will age quickly and fail. With modest but "decent" desktop PCs with cards like a HD7770 or GTX650Ti pulling <250W from the wall under their heaviest expected load, it may not matter. For those who like to overclock, and/or run benchmarks, with high-end hardware, the Corsair Builder is simply not the right choice.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 20, 2012 1:35:39 AM

man...
honestly i confuse why all of you only care about output power wattage...

look at output quality and ripple from antec unit from here..

and compare with cx430v2 from here
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Corsair-CX430-V2...

i don't think that i have to explain why output quality is very important.. :sarcastic: 

So how could all of you favor antec vp450 than cx430v2..?

i have this unit for almost 2 years..and it still work flawlessly.. :) 

yes, both of this unit is a bugdet psu, so that's mean not you shouldn't run it to feed a highend system..
using bugdet psu for a highend system is a foolishness :lol: 

no matter how good your psu if you always run it at more than 80% power all the time, it will fail quickly..
m
l
a c 87 U Graphics card
November 20, 2012 1:41:37 AM

Who said anything about a VP550? We've been talking about the superior in build quality VP450, which is built by a different company with much better designs than the rest of the VP line. Other than the VP450 and VP450P, the entire VP line is built by Delta Electronics where the 450 models are built by FSP and are better.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 20, 2012 1:44:02 AM

blazorthon said:
Who said anything about a VP-550? We've been talking about the superior in build quality VP-450, which is built by a different company with much better designs than the rest of the VP line.

sorry, typo... i mean antec vp-450.:)  ,not vp-550
m
l
November 23, 2012 11:57:53 AM

Guys and Gals thank you for giving your advice and opinions. For now I have settled for
Corsair CX 430 V2 ( http://www.corsair.com/builder-series-cx430-v2-80plus-c... ).

My rig consist of the following specification right now ( hope Corsair CX 430 V2 can handle this smoothly for years ) -

1. Processor : Intel i3-2100 3.10 MHz

2. RAM : 2 X 4 GB DDR 3

3. Motherboard: Intel DH61WW

4. Hard Disk : 1 TB Westernal Digital SATA

5. Video Card : Sapphire HD 7750 1 GB DDR5

6. One DVD Writer.

7. PSU : Corsair CX 430 V2

8. Monitor : PHILIPS BLADE 21.5 inch LED

9. UPS : Intex Protector 725 ( http://www.intextechnologies.com/webpages/productcomper... )

Now I have a headache annoying me all the time while I am running my machine.
When my previous PSU was installed I could feel a breeze of air coming out of the back of the cabinet ( rear end of the PSU ). My previous PSU was not a branded PSU and was made in China. Frustratingly my new buy of Corsair CX 430 V2 also has a "Made in China"
label, though it has got Corsair company Logo and stickers !
In case of Corsair CX 430 V2 I am unable to find any gust of air flow coming out from the rear end of the PSU cabinet through the perforated cover / casing located at the back side of my cabinet. I ask all of you - please confirm if this is natural for Corsair CX 430 V2. I have focused a torch light at the PSU's fan's grill and found the blades were revolving so fast I can not see them. Now the question is if the PSU fan is working then why is not gust of air coming out from the rear end of the PSU ( where the power switch and power cable connection socket is loacted ) ? Is there any chance of damaging my PSU due to heat generation and im-proper air flow ?
m
l
November 23, 2012 1:56:04 PM

But what about no or scanty air flow from the rear side of the Corsair PSU that I mentioned in my last psot ? Is this normal ? Or do I need to get worried about the PSU getting burned due to heating ?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 23, 2012 2:09:34 PM

How did u place the psu ? as intake ?
m
l
November 23, 2012 2:21:02 PM

Intake ? The Corsair PSU is mounted on the back-top end of the cabinet. The PSU is positioned such that fan is rotating on the bottom side of the PSU facing
the back side of the HD 7750 PCI-E card. The processor along with its fan and heat-sink is couple of inches below the bottom side of the PSU ( the side where the fan is rotating ).

Have I done it correctly ?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 23, 2012 2:30:25 PM

A pic would be helpful :) 

But it seems yes. Place your hand at the fan and see is it sucking air or pushing ?

m
l
November 23, 2012 2:59:17 PM

Do not have a camera right now. But when I hold my hand below the fan I do not feel much! Can't tell for sure if the fan is sucking the air from within the cabinet or forcing air from outside into the cabinet. What should I do ? This is so confusing! I am getting worried.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 23, 2012 3:17:53 PM

Nothing to worry :) 

I have my PSU with fan facing down and its cool.

m
l
November 23, 2012 3:35:51 PM

O I see. Just had a thought of a scene - smoke coming out back of my PSU / cabinet. But I guess I am ok. And I must admit even after running for 1-2 hours I do not feel any warmth or heat when I touch top end of my cabint. In case of my previous PSU the cabinet used to get heated up. I have also noticed a small increase of speed while working in Windows - be it opening browser or doing other stuff. May the stable voltage and ampere level provided by the Corsair PSU is the cause.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 23, 2012 3:41:26 PM

Im glad you are happy with your new pc.

You got a faster hdd/gpu/cpu :) 
m
l
November 23, 2012 4:08:24 PM

@prototype18: Thank you my friend. Actually all the other components except the PSU and the HD 7750 video card is 1 year old. I got Corsair when my previous PSU's fan stopped working :) 
m
l
a c 206 U Graphics card
November 25, 2012 12:08:46 AM

If all of your other fans are exhausts, the Corsair fan may be struggling to get enough air. Make sure your fans are balanced. A single other rear fan should be an exhaust, but if you have a front or side fan, it should be an intake.
I'm glad that V2 doesn't seem to be heating up. As the reviews clearly indicate, when new it is an excellent PSU. Unfortunately, some inferior caps that were used in it may not hold up, especially if they're stressed. Your system probably doesn't pull 200W, so you should be fine, especially since you're not noticing any heat.
m
l
November 26, 2012 12:19:44 PM

@Onus:

I do not have a rear fan in my cabinet. There is a side fan and I can feel gust of air on my hand/palm coming out of it. So I guess it is pulling the air from inside the cabinet to outside. So, how do I make the side fan pull air from outside into the cabinet ? By dis-assembling it and fitting it in reverse way ?

But ironically, when I open and remove the side cover ( where the fan is located ), I still cannot feel any air flow when I hold my palm/fingers below the Corsair PSU's fan! But yes the fan is rotating very cleanly - because I am unable to count the blades until I switch off my PC.

I am expecting to get a hassle-free service of 5 years from this PSU. I run my PC 12 hours a day and my rig's configuration is not high. So the Corsair CX 430 V2 should not get stressed up.

1. Processor : Intel i3-2100 3.10 MHz

2. RAM : 2 X 4 GB DDR 3

3. Motherboard: Intel DH61WW

4. Hard Disk : 1 TB Westernal Digital SATA

5. Video Card : Sapphire HD 7750 1 GB DDR5

6. One DVD Writer.

7. PSU : Corsair CX 430 V2

8. Monitor : PHILIPS BLADE 21.5 inch LED

9. UPS : Intex Protector 725 ( http://www.intextechnologies.com/w [...] CTOR%20725 )
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 26, 2012 12:26:46 PM

No it wont. Your system doesnt pull alot of power just 180W

So you are safe . Nothing to worry. And yes just reverse the side fan so it pulls air.

And dont worry about the PSU. I run my system 24/7 and never got any problem.

Temps of CPU went max 38C on peak and GPU usually 68-70C on peak.

And the PSU seems ok .

1.5 month till now :) 
m
l
a c 206 U Graphics card
November 26, 2012 5:24:00 PM

The Corsair PSU's fan is an INTAKE to the PSU, not an exhaust. The PSU exhausts that air out the back; that's where you should feel some air (although it still may not be a lot).
You can turn the side fan around to make it an intake. Side fans are usually intakes (along with front fans). Top and/or rear fans (including the PSU) are exhausts.
m
l
December 10, 2012 12:34:59 PM

Ok guys, thank you for all your help and advice. Corsair CX 430 is performing well.
m
l
!