Windows 7 Partition Deleted But Still Boot Option

Aleatoire

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2009
OK so I had a duel boot going with Windows 7 Ultimate and Xp Home Edition. I decided to delete the Windows 7 partition because I was running out of space on my XP partition and it was the one I primarily use due to driver issues with Windows 7. I used the program G-Parted to delete the Windows 7 partition and everything went well, but when I start my computer it still asks whether I would like to boot Windows 7 or XP, the default being Windows 7 which is annoying because I can't leave my computer to boot when I'm not there or I end up with a message telling me it can't start Windows 7 because it isn't installed and I have to restart my PC all over again.

So does anyone know how I can stop my computer from asking me if I want to start an operating system that isn't even installed on my computer and just boot with XP?

cavemandave

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2010
You need to download a program called EasyBCD and then just follow the screens to wipe the old windows 7 from your boot file.

Not sure of that works in XP though, been a long time since I used it lol.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!YOU SHOULD BACK UP THIS FILE TO DESKTOP BEFORE ATTEMPTING THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If it doesn't, go into notepad, click open, choose C:/ and open the file boot.ini (type that nto the file name box, you may not see it depending on your hidden file settings)

A document should come up with some jargen, scan through it until you find the lines that should say

Windows XP
Window 7

Or something like this, simply delete the windows 7 line and sae the file.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!YOU SHOULD BACK UP THIS FILE TO DESKTOP BEFORE ATTEMPTING THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't delete anything apart form the Windows 7 bit!!