Sign in with
Your question

Hyper 212 evo LOUD(1864 RPM) at idle?Please Help!

Last response: in Systems
January 3, 2013 3:40:58 PM

Hey everyone I recently put together my new built. So heres the thing. I had a APU Fm1 socket processor and gtx 660 ti last build and had the same evo cooler.It ran absolutely soft. I could not even hear the fan when playing intense battlefield 3.
But now I upgraded to 2500k (NOT OCED) and now the fan is at around 1800< RPM at idle. Which is annoying the .... out of me. I am pretty sure thats not normal.I downloaded the SPEED FAN app to control the speed and put it down to 50%. Its not as loud. But I would prefer to leave the fan control to automatic so I dont like burn the cpu or something. I have this program called SMART FAN on my bios ( MSI Z77a gd-65 motherboard). and its disabled at the moment. Is there a way you guys can help me set that up so I can live rest of my holiday break with a smile :(  ? Thanks in advance.
January 3, 2013 4:40:16 PM

according to the manual. enable it.

Hardware Montor
Press <Enter> to enter the sub-menu.
CPU Smart Fan Target Controls CPU fan speed automatically depending on the current temperature and to keep it with a specific range. If the current CPU temperature reaches the target value, the smart fan function will be activated.
m
l
Related resources
January 3, 2013 4:45:52 PM

if you have too much thermal paste on there you could be slowing the heat transfer to the cooler . The fan responds to the hotter processor .

But usually it takes a couple of days for them to settle in properly and the fan should get quieter
m
l
January 3, 2013 5:04:39 PM

jonjonjon said:
according to the manual. enable it.

Hardware Montor
Press <Enter> to enter the sub-menu.
CPU Smart Fan Target Controls CPU fan speed automatically depending on the current temperature and to keep it with a specific range. If the current CPU temperature reaches the target value, the smart fan function will be activated.

Do you know what should be my range? Right now I set it to 50% speed at 60*C. Is that good?
m
l
January 3, 2013 5:16:42 PM

what temp does the cpu idle at? i would start lower and watch the fans and temps in something like hwmonitor. then slowly dial it in to where you are happy with the temps and noise.
m
l
January 3, 2013 5:50:52 PM

jonjonjon said:
what temp does the cpu idle at? i would start lower and watch the fans and temps in something like hwmonitor. then slowly dial it in to where you are happy with the temps and noise.

Depends on the core, core2 around 33-34, rest around 23-27 *C. Good?
m
l
January 3, 2013 6:09:56 PM

yea that's fine. i would set it to 45-50C and see if the fan speed going up at the temp bothers you. intel says ivy can get to 105 but i wouldn't want my cpu getting anywhere near that high.i would also run something like intel burn test set it to max ram and make sure that the fan does come on.
m
l
January 3, 2013 7:35:11 PM

i have the same problem with my 2500k at idle its like 19 c but its loud with the evo
m
l
!