Sign in with
Your question

Looking to upgrade from 2x GTX 460 to a single GPU

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 19, 2012 12:44:10 PM

BUDGET RANGE: (e.g.: USD $150-250) Before / After Rebates

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming for the most part, using 3 monitors (2 monitors and 1 TV)

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: Palit NE5X460SF1142 GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) Sonic 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card [x2]

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg.com

PARTS PREFERENCES: Preferred is Nvidia PhysX

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Maybe

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1080

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: My current 2 GPU cards listed above produce a good amount of heat and crappy cooling fans, so I wanted to upgrade to a single GPU that supports 3 monitors at given resolution. I looked at the "Graphics Card Hierarchy Chart" on here and it seems like mine isn't that far down under from the top. It has played pretty much most games like BF3, BL2, Leagueoflegends on the highest settings so far with no problem (more than above 60-80fps) without SLI turned on. Here is one that I am contemplating about:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Any suggestions or advices for a single card to run at that performance or better with 3+ monitor support?
a b U Graphics card
November 19, 2012 12:53:10 PM

Since you have 2 GTX 460s in SLI, I imagine you must get pretty good framerates in pretty much every game. I really don't think it's worth to upgrade that yet (even with that extra heat and stuff). I would recommend keeping your money, and waiting for the next generation of GPUs to come out. AMDs 8000 series GPUs are probably only around the corner now so you should at least wait for that.

Regardless, if you still insist, the only thing that you could get for that money is the 7850 (or perhaps 7870 if you can squeeze it) which will not be a huge improvement over 2 GTX 460s in SLI.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 19, 2012 12:54:14 PM

Apologies, you wanted Nvidia so, ya the GTX 660 is about the only thing you could get for that money really, which, again, isn't a big jump from 2 GTX 460s at all.
m
l
Related resources
a c 87 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
November 19, 2012 12:56:18 PM

The GTX 660 is probably not going to beat two GTX 460s in SLI in raw performance except in the few games that don't work well (be it through the now-rare SLI glitch or simply through an also now-rare game that simply scales in SLI performance very poorly). If you're playing in a resolution greater than say 4MP (2560x1600 or a little less than triple 1600x900), then Nvidia's weak memory buses on the Kepler cards can really hurt and you might want to go to AMD on this one. For PhysX compatibility, you can keep one of your GTX 460s and have it process PhysX for the AMD card. If you want a serious upgrade then I'm sorry to say that at least for raw performance, there isn't really a very good upgrade right now unless you do something such as get an AMD Radeon 79xx card and overclock with overvolting or at least get a top-of-the-line GTX 670/680 and overclock it.

However, thanks to the inherent issues with lower mid-ranged Fermi SLI such as micro-stutter and variable FPS issues, you will probably notice the improvement in smoothness despite the performance upgrade only being considerable instead of great. If you don't mind shelling out almost $400 (or about $300 for a good Radeon 7950, they usually have the best value of the high end cards for overclocking performance), you can get a good upgrade to something such as a Zotac GTX 670 AMP! (at least at stock, generally the best GTX 670, sharing the top spot with Asus' model that has an over 1.3GHz GPU frequency because although the AMP! has a more modest ~1.1GHz base frequency for its GPU, it has a memory bandwidth boost from its factory-overclocked memory bus).

I'll give some links in my next post.
m
l
November 19, 2012 1:02:20 PM

That 660 is decent but the sub GTX 670's have only 192 bit memory buswidths so if you play with Anti-Aliasing the performance will drop moreso than with a full 256bit interface. (It may also hurt it in multi-monitor gaming but im not totally sure on that.) You can also get and AMD 7870 for about 240 bucks that, with a bit of Overclocking, can give you nearly 7950 performace.

But if you are hell bent on having Nvidia Physx I would choose another 660, personally im not a fan of the blower style well, fans. Maybe this one?

Oh and this just occured to me, if you get an AMD card you can still use one of your 460's as a decicated physx card in hybrid crossfire! Not sure on how to do it but im sure you can google it no problem.
m
l
a c 87 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
November 19, 2012 1:09:48 PM

Sorry OP, I was wrong about the Zotac AMP!'s pricing, it seems to have raised over $70 since I last checked :/ 

This is the best 670 to buy that isn't far over $400 AFAIK:
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/gigabyte-video-card-gvn670...

However, should you consider AMD as your main graphics for this upgrade, this is the card that I'd recommend:
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/gigabyte-video-card-gvr795...

It's cheaper and for overclocking, it's actually the faster card in most situations, especially high resolution and/or high MSAA/CSAA gaming.

Deadboy90 said:
That 660 is decent but the sub GTX 670's have only 192 bit memory buswidths so if you play with Anti-Aliasing the performance will drop moreso than with a full 256bit interface. (It may also hurt it in multi-monitor gaming but im not totally sure on that.) You can also get and AMD 7870 for about 240 bucks that, with a bit of Overclocking, can give you nearly 7950 performace.

But if you are hell bent on having Nvidia Physx I would choose another 660, personally im not a fan of the blower style well, fans. Maybe this one?

Oh and this just occured to me, if you get an AMD card you can still use one of your 460's as a decicated physx card in hybrid crossfire! Not sure on how to do it but im sure you can google it no problem.

It's really more about the resolution and level/type of AA then the number of monitors as far as a memory interface is concerned, but yeah, like we said, it can hurt Nvidia's gaming performance badly in memory-bandwidth intensive situations such as high resolution and/or high MSAA gaming.

Also, using a Nvidia card as a PPU (Physics/{hysX processing unit) actually isn't any form of Crossfire AFAIK; it's really more like using the Nvidia GPU as a PPU. It might be comparable to older computers that could have a math copressor or using GPGPU accelerating to boost highly parallel tasks normally run by the CPU on a GPU or otherwise highly parallel processing unit (Xeon Phi comes to mind as an excellent example for such a technically non-GPU processor).

m
l
a c 144 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
November 19, 2012 2:13:59 PM

Deadboy90 said:
That 660 is decent but the sub GTX 670's have only 192 bit memory buswidths...

GTX670 have 256 bit memory interface.

@OP

460 in SLI is quite formidable. if you really want to upgrade don't go any lower than GTX670. honestly if i'm in your situation i will wait until next gen cards comes out before making an upgrade. if you're in dire need of performance try OCing your pair of 460s. if you're lucky maybe you can push it up to 900Mhz :D 
m
l
a c 87 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
November 19, 2012 2:19:53 PM

renz496 said:
GTX670 have 256 bit memory interface.

@OP

460 in SLI is quite formidable. if you really want to upgrade don't go any lower than GTX670. honestly if i'm in your situation i will wait until next gen cards comes out before making an upgrade. if you're in dire need of performance try OCing your pair of 460s. if you're lucky maybe you can push it up to 900Mhz :D 

sub GTX 670s. Deadboy90 was referring to the Nvidia cards below the 670 such as the 660 and the 660 Ti which do have a 192 bit GDDR5 memory interface (~1.5GHz/6GHz effective).
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 19, 2012 3:45:59 PM

Quote:
ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: My current 2 GPU cards listed above produce a good amount of heat and crappy cooling fans, so I wanted to upgrade to a single GPU that supports 3 monitors at given resolution. I looked at the "Graphics Card Hierarchy Chart" on here and it seems like mine isn't that far down under from the top. It has played pretty much most games like BF3, BL2, Leagueoflegends on the highest settings so far with no problem (more than above 60-80fps) without SLI turned on. Here is one that I am contemplating about:

Any suggestions or advices for a single card to run at that performance or better with 3+ monitor support?

If you do decide to upgrade. Are you going to be selling your 460's? I know this isnt a site to sell stuff but I would be interested if they are the 1GB 256bit versions. Thanks.

ON TOPIC:
Also anything below a 670 will be a downgrade.
m
l
a c 87 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
November 19, 2012 3:50:28 PM

yarmock said:

If you do decide to upgrade. Are you going to be selling your 460's? I know this isnt a site to sell stuff but I would be interested if they are the 1GB 256bit versions. Thanks.

Also anything below a 670 will be a downgrade.

Not really a downgrade as much as a side-grade IMO for the 660 and 660 Ti.
m
l
November 25, 2012 11:12:31 PM

Thanks for the replies. I guess I'll just keep them for now until the next gens come out. Much appreciated
m
l
!