My optical drive won't work to let me install windows 7! Help!!!

Got my first build put together, only the optical drive won't work. No led, nothing. Can't open it to put in my windows 7 disc. I tried two different sata cables, so its not a bad cable. When that didn't work, I figured the optical drive might just be doa, so i ordered another one. This one won't work either. I honestly don't know what to do. Help!! D:

Edit: I just used the sata 3 cable from my optical drive on my hard drive to test if it was a bad cable. The hard drive was recognized just fine, and considering I've already tried two different power cables and 2 different data cables, I can confirm that it is not a matter of a bad cable.
4 answers Last reply
More about optical drive work install windows help
  1. Have you connected both the power cable and the data cable? Sounds like the drive is not the problem.
  2. Aristotelian said:
    Have you connected both the power cable and the data cable? Sounds like the drive is not the problem.

Yup, they are both connected.
  3. Have you tried a different power connector.. on a different power segment if nothing else is on that one. I've seen both bad power connectors in a segment from PSU's and also whole segments not work.
  4. jay2tall said:
    Have you tried a different power connector.. on a different power segment if nothing else is on that one. I've seen both bad power connectors in a segment from PSU's and also whole segments not work.

Yeah, I did. Two different power connectors, each on a different segment. And I also know its not a problem with the data cable, because like I said, I took it out of the optical drive and plugged it into my hard drive, and the bios still recognized it just fine. But when I went to plug it back into the optical drive, nothing.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Windows 7 Optical Media Cable Systems