Sign in with
Your question

Help, changed raid settings in bios and none of my hdd's will boot!

Last response: in Windows 7
March 3, 2012 2:47:24 PM

Hello

For the past 3 years I have had a solidly built and working windows 7 ultimate desktop pc with one hdd running the OS and the other hdd for storing data.

This morning I added a 3rd hdd which would mirror eveything on the OS, configured and fully synched within Windows 7 disk management. I checked this by shutting down the pc, unplugging the primary drive and then restarted the pc which booted up the 2nd mirrored drive.

I then worked out my motherboard could support raid 5 and ventured into the bios to see what could be set up. Within IDE configuration I enabled nVidia RAID function and then enabled both SATA Controller 0 and SATA controller 1. As I could see no other menu's concerning raid I went back into IDE configuration and disabled nVidia RAID funtion as I didn't really understand what I was doing. Upon saving and restarting my pc the primary or seconday mirrored drive will not boot. I just get a flashing curser :-(.

I've checked the bios numerous times and nVidea RAID is still disabled and boot menu is set correctly.

Ive also tried a Windows 7 system recovery disc which detects 2 windows 7 partitions (one labled seconday plex). The first time round it picked up an error regarding missing files so I repaired and restarted but this made no difference. Now I run startup repair and it detects no errors but it still doesn't want to boot windows 7 on either hdd!

Unless anyone has any better ideas, my next step is going to be a repair on one of the Windows 7 partitions which im worried will loose some of my data?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Jason

March 3, 2012 3:09:08 PM

That's because you don't have a RAID array set up. You have to set up all 3 HDD's for it not to mention that Win 7 doesn't support RAID5.
a b $ Windows 7
March 3, 2012 4:43:46 PM

Hi :) 

I can never understand why users who know nothing about Raid try and setup/use it :( 

All the best Brett :) 
Related resources
!