First Time Builder Double Check

This is my very first build and I know just the basics of computers so I just want to make sure I'm building a computer for my right needs. Not to weak, but also not to powerful.

Approximate Purchase Date: As soon as I get confirmed I've got the right parts

Budget Range: I only wanted to spend $800 total but I think I might go a little over so around $950

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Video/Audio gameplay recording from my Xbox360, Video editing, Gaming(The War Z, Day Z on high, ARMA 3 on at least mid), Music programming, and everyday use

Are you buying a monitor: No

Do you need to buy OS: Yes/ Windows 8

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: tigerdirect.com or newegg.com

Overclocking: Yes

SLI or Crossfire: Yes

Your Monitor Resolution: I honestly do not know what my resolution is on my monitor, it's few years old and I don't know how to check

CPU: Intel i5-3570k w/ MOTHERBOARD: ASUS P8Z77-V LX
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7551364&sku=M69-7036

GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 650
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4501123&sku=E145-0650

RAM: Corsair Vengeance LP 16 GB
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2504388&CatId=4534

HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=744345&sku=TSD-2000AS4

OPTICAL DRIVE: Lite-On iHAS324
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4829307&sku=L12-1312%20OEM

CASE: DIABLOTEK Cyclops CPA-8950
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3429710&sku=D15-8950

POWER SUPPLY: Only thing I haven't found due to I don't know what I really need to get


So let me know if this is a good build for what I'm wanting to do or if I need to power up somewhere or even if I could power down to save some money. If there's any site I can buy this stuff cheaper or just any overall info that you guys can give me would greatly help!!! I'm a noobie but I'm really looking forward to feeling the satisfaction and triumph of building my first PC.

Thanks!
8 answers Last reply
More about first time builder double check
  1. Quote:
    Your Monitor Resolution: I honestly do not know what my resolution is on my monitor, it's few years old and I don't know how to check


    What size is it? If it's a 19" it's most likely 1440 x 900, if it's a 20" it's most likely 1600 x 900.

    Do not purchase Diablotek anything - they are a horrendous vendor, one of the worst you could buy from. This is a far better case for that price: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=684760&Sku=C13-6400

    The only bad thing is Tiger Direct doesn't carry Seasonic power supplies, here's probably what I would get: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7195036&CatId=1483

    The GTX 650 is a decent card, better would be to get something like a Radeon 7770 GHz edition: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2042279&CatId=7387
  2. 16gb of ram is over kill, 8gb will do you fine. Also for overclocking you will need a cpu fan, a CM hyper 212 + will do you fine. As for power supply 550 watt and above will be fine. This is a good overall build.

    CM Hyper212+
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103065

    PSU
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139028
  3. G-UNIT

    I believe it is a 19" monitor.

    I'll def keep looking for a new case then, thanks for the heads up. I want one that has a sleek look and a widow for the side, I really like those designs and something that could be liquid cooling ready. Any suggestions?

    I did more research on the 650 and everyone is saying the 7770 is better so i'll prob go with that one.

    Thanks for the look out
  4. NOODLE

    I'll cut back on the RAM to 8GB that should save me some money, any that you prefer?

    Also, I'm not going to be overclocking right from the start, I want to learn a little more about how to do all of that before I jump into it.

    And is 550 at the limit or should i go a 650 unit just to be safe and have the extra watts?
  5. theeejohnnyv said:
    G-UNIT

    I believe it is a 19" monitor.

    I'll def keep looking for a new case then, thanks for the heads up. I want one that has a sleek look and a widow for the side, I really like those designs and something that could be liquid cooling ready. Any suggestions?

    I did more research on the 650 and everyone is saying the 7770 is better so i'll prob go with that one.

    Thanks for the look out


    Most 19" monitors are rated at 1440 x 900 so that's the resolution you want to shoot for.

    As far as case goes here's an inexpensive one with a window but it won't give you liquid cooling options: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119227

    If you want that you will have to pay a bit more and get something like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811139016

    The main reason why people are saying the 7770 is better is due to the drivers. The new NVIDIA drivers have dramatically improved their cards but the AMD Catalyst provides like a 70% increase in speed on most of the newer cards.
  6. Ok cool, ya I don't mind paying the little extra for a faster GPU, I'll just have to get a bigger PSU with that 7770

    I'm being picky with finding a case but I think I'll find one eventually haha thanks tho
  7. theeejohnnyv said:
    NOODLE

    I'll cut back on the RAM to 8GB that should save me some money, any that you prefer?

    Also, I'm not going to be overclocking right from the start, I want to learn a little more about how to do all of that before I jump into it.

    And is 550 at the limit or should i go a 650 unit just to be safe and have the extra watts?



    Right now for Ram I am using g.skill. These run great the only other ram I use is corsair. I link some below. and for wattage you should be fine with 550 but if you want to be safe a 650 wont hurt and I still recommend corsair for psu's.

    Ram:
    http://www.outletpc.com/zj5117.html?utm_source=zj5117&utm_medium=shopping%2Bengine&utm_campaign=pcpartpicker

    PSU:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139020&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=
  8. theeejohnnyv said:
    Ok cool, ya I don't mind paying the little extra for a faster GPU, I'll just have to get a bigger PSU with that 7770

    I'm being picky with finding a case but I think I'll find one eventually haha thanks tho


    You don't necessarily need a bigger PSU - you just need one with a voltage output that matches your CPU and GPU.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems Product