Sign in with
Your question

Faulty monitor or faulty graphic card?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 19, 2012 4:54:12 PM

Hello everyone.

A friend recommended this place, so perhaps someone could help me out with this issue.

When I turned on my PC this morning, this is how everything looked like:

http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/1497/30052493.jpg

This...distortion, for lack of a better word, is present in my welcome screen and in safe mode as well. I tried reinstalling and updating all of my drivers, a system restore, a virus check. Nothing fixed it.

Did my graphic card die on me or is my old monitor that passed away?

If it's the graphics card, seeing as this piece of hardware is rather old and I might not find an exact replacement (2007 release, if I am correct), what else could I find for a relatively cheap price? I'm only a casual gamer, so it doesn't have to be the best card.

Specs: nvidia geforce 8400 and an old CRT Samsung monitor.

Please let me know if there's any other piece of information I can provide. I'm not a very tech-savvy girl, so you'll have to forgive me.

Thank you in advance!
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
November 19, 2012 5:06:10 PM

I don't see anything wrong with the picture. I guess I don't know what I am looking for. Do you have another monitor you could try?
a b Î Nvidia
a c 81 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
November 19, 2012 5:15:52 PM

The fact that the screenshot is fine and that you get it in safe mode makes me nearly 100% sure it's the monitor. (Which isn't fun, because they're more expensive than entry-level graphics cards.)

That being said, if you can test the computer on a friends' or parents' monitor, it'd help a lot to diagnose the problem. Failing that, can you describe the problem with as detailed an explanation as possible?

(Oh, and don't worry - you're WAY more tech-savvy than most of the people we try to help.)
Related resources
November 19, 2012 5:34:40 PM

Thank you for the quick replies.

Shocking news, that the printscreen looks normal. Ok, how to describe...everything written and the icons themselves have this white fading-near-the-end shadow after them. It's in the menus, Office documents, Windows logo, you name it. Everything looks as if it's highlighted with this bright white, and it's painful for my eyes.
November 19, 2012 7:15:56 PM

The problem could also be the cable but you won't know until you replace components one at a time. Borrow a known good monitor if you must.
November 20, 2012 3:19:09 AM

Sadly, I don't have anyone to borrow from. Will have to go purchase another and hope that was it.
!