Sign in with
Your question

System reset starting Win7 or Linux: mobo or CPU?

Last response: in Systems
January 3, 2013 7:45:34 PM

Hi All,

I recently fried my Asus P5B-Deluxe motherboard (don't ask :-( ), and I'm trying to recover my system using a replacement P5B-Deluxe that I picked up on eBay. When I try to start Win7 (either off of my HDD or the Win7 install DVD, or in "safe mode"), my machine resets shortly after the appearance of the "Starting Windows" splash screen. Booting the "UltimateBootCD" or "stresslinux" utility CDs also results in a system reset during startup.

I *am* able to successfully boot and run memtest86+, which I used to verify my memory. I've tried two different power supplies (one brand new), two different video cards (one brand new), and different memory configurations, but always get the reset at the same point. In my mind, that leaves the processor or motherboard as the culprit.

My local computer service/diagnostics shop (Central Computer, Santa Clara, CA) says they tested my CPU (Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 [I think]) and it's OK (but I've not been able to verify this myself). So, my question to you is whether you think a motherboard problem would be consistent with the system reset behavior I'm seeing. Also, do you have any other troubleshooting suggestions or boot-able tools I might try to help narrow this down?

Thanks in advance, and Happy New Year!

-Don

[Update: I'm able to run "Hiren's BootCD" in DOS mode, but get a system reset trying to run it in "Mini-XP mode".]
a b B Homebuilt system
a c 435 V Motherboard
January 3, 2013 9:00:25 PM

Booting into safe mode using f6 might get you to windows "system restore" feature.
Start>computer>system properties>system protection>system restore.
m
l
January 3, 2013 9:37:36 PM

o1die said:
Booting into safe mode using f6 might get you to windows "system restore" feature.
Start>computer>system properties>system protection>system restore.

Unfortunately, all of the safe modes ("Safe Mode", "... with networking", "... with command prompt") result in the same system reset a couple of seconds after all of the Windows files have been loaded (CLASSPNP.SYS was the last thing loaded, I believe). As mentioned, I can't even boot from the Win7 install DVD, so it must be a hardware (firmware? BIOS config?) issue somewhere, right?

As noted in my update to the original post, I am able to load "Hiren's BootCD" in DOS mode. I can run the included "CPU/Video/Disk Performance Test 5.7" test tool. I haven't been able to find any documentation on the tool, so I'm not sure what it's doing, or whether it's ability to run gives my processor a clean-bill-of-health.

-Don
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
a c 435 V Motherboard
January 3, 2013 10:04:37 PM

Yeah, maybe your replacement board has a flaky capacitor or other issue; hard to say.
m
l
January 3, 2013 10:20:35 PM

o1die said:
Yeah, maybe your replacement board has a flaky capacitor or other issue; hard to say.

Agreed. I want to make sure that I've tried everything I can before trying to return the board.

-Don
m
l
January 11, 2013 12:31:54 AM

I reported the problem to the eBay seller and he sent me another board (this time a P5B-Deluxe/Wi-Fi). It must have been a problem with the first mobo he sent, because the second board works like a champ! :D 

-Don
m
l
!