How about the Nikon 55-200?

The Nikon AF-S DX 55-200/4-5,6 G ED is priced surprisingly cheap, which
makes med suspicious. Has anyone experience about it? How does it
perform compared to other lenses in the same range (Nikon, Tamron,
Sigma, Tokina...)

Thanx for your input...
3 answers Last reply
More about nikon
  1. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

    On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 19:10:34 GMT, Aaron Blacksmith
    <Aaron@Nospam.com> wrote:

    >The Nikon AF-S DX 55-200/4-5,6 G ED is priced surprisingly cheap, which
    >makes med suspicious. Has anyone experience about it? How does it
    >perform compared to other lenses in the same range (Nikon, Tamron,
    >Sigma, Tokina...)

    If I only could get my hands on one of those, I would have told You.

    The Sigma DC 55-200 is not a bad lens either, if you can't wait. The
    biggest difference could be the AF-S (SWM - other brands call this
    HSM and USM), but it seems it's not a 'real' SWM, only a
    light-weight one...
  2. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

    This lens was supposed to be available in early June. Now Nikon says
    mid-July.
    There are no hands on reviews of this lens anywhere. The one posting on the
    internet about a pre-production sample is no more helpful than Nikon's
    advertising.
    The Nikon 18-70 kit lens is a suprisingly good lens so one can only hope
    this 55-200 will be in the same category. The key issue is reasonable
    optical quality, i.e. low distortion, as a tradeoff for the remarkable size
    and weight of this sort of slow lens (f4-5.6).
    The Canon 55-200 is not all that great a performer and the Sigma has not
    been formally reviewed, at least anywhere I can find, by anyone other than
    end users.
  3. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

    "Aaron Blacksmith" <Aaron@Nospam.com> skrev i meddelandet
    > The Nikon AF-S DX 55-200/4-5,6 G ED is priced surprisingly cheap, which
    > makes med suspicious. Has anyone experience about it? How does it perform
    > compared to other lenses in the same range (Nikon, Tamron, Sigma,
    > Tokina...)
    >
    > Thanx for your input...

    Some sample pics from the D50 with 18-55 and 55-200 lenses:
    http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/nikon/d50-review/gallery.shtml

SLR Nikon Photo Systems Cameras