Sign in with
Your question

My GTX 560 Ti won't update to any driver later than 295.73

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 19, 2012 6:41:17 PM

Recently I was trying to update my geforce driver and after numerous trial and error, i only manage to update to version 295.73.

Any version (including WQHL ones) later than that did installed, but when i restarted my computer, it shows wrong resolution right after restart. Also, unable to launch Nvidia Control panel at all.

When i checked the hardware manger in Windows, it is showing an exclamation mark, error code 43. I tried 306.97, the latest WQHL driver, still no joy.

I tried sweeping reminding files in safe mode before installing new driver but still no joy, rolled back to 295.73 and have no problem at all.

I read some threads saying error 43 can be a sign of failing GPU? but if that's hardware problem, I should expect to have problem with 295.73 driver as well, right?

Card: GTX 560 Ti
System: Win 7 x64
November 19, 2012 6:55:18 PM

Sounds like you need a clean sweep bro. Cleaner Sweeper will "for the most part" completely uninstall your previous nvidia drivers. You'll have to do the typical uninstall, reboot, clean, reboot, install the latest drivers (you might have to restart). Then boom, you're good to go. Link for Cleaner Sweeper below.

Hope it all works out!

http://www.guru3d.com/content_page/guru3d_driver_sweepe...

November 19, 2012 8:24:32 PM

Done that before, no joy... :-(

I have
1. uninstalled the graphic card driver using the uninstalling wizard
2. Reboot
3. Safe Mode
4. Driver Sweeper
5. Reboot into safe mode
6. Install new Driver (306.73 in this case) using wizard
7. Reboot normally, and failed.
Related resources
November 19, 2012 8:49:33 PM

To the point where things are right now and since you already lost a lot of time on this, I would advise to simply re-install Windows with a clean install and start over. There are probably some parts of the registry that are corrupted and it will be very hard to fix and I don't trust registry cleaners. Otherwise if you don't want to format, you might also try a system restore to let's say last month or sometimes before you tried to uninstall the driver in the first place, maybe something went wrong during the uninstall process and it corrupted something.
a b Î Nvidia
November 19, 2012 10:12:53 PM

last post was good idea. but would go to windows update after uninstalling card from device manager and rebooting. don't even attempt to install the driver just go to updates.
March 13, 2013 3:54:14 AM

I understand this is quite an aged post. But I still haven't had the problem sorted.

I forgot to mention that I did try format and reinstall my windows before my original post. But seems like it still fail to go further than 295.73. Although it looks like an software/driver issue, how possible is the problem being caused by a hardware? i.e. the display card itself?

Since I am still within warranty, I am tempted to get it repaired/replaced. But this is will mean that I need to post it back to Hong Kong while I am currently out of the city.
March 13, 2013 8:58:46 AM

jackymg said:
I understand this is quite an aged post. But I still haven't had the problem sorted.

I forgot to mention that I did try format and reinstall my windows before my original post. But seems like it still fail to go further than 295.73. Although it looks like an software/driver issue, how possible is the problem being caused by a hardware? i.e. the display card itself?

Since I am still within warranty, I am tempted to get it repaired/replaced. But this is will mean that I need to post it back to Hong Kong while I am currently out of the city.

Do it.
!