Sign in with
Your question

What gpu for Arma 3, games now and future games

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 19, 2012 7:04:29 PM

evga Gtx 560ti ssc, -http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

asus radeon 7870-http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

evga gtx 650ti ssc-http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

radeon 6870- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Oh if youhave anyother suggestions my budget is 220$ Oh and i was thinking of sli or crossfire either of these. Im open to suggestions and ideas. Thanks! :) 
a b U Graphics card
November 19, 2012 7:48:25 PM

Best Card for your Money would be the GTX 660.

It has low power use and is on par with AMD 7870 performance wise, you can't go wrong.
November 19, 2012 9:18:17 PM

Actually, I'd go with the 7870. The 660 barely beats the 7850 in performance. I'm going by real-world performance in games and such, not phony PRE-12.11 Driver Update benchmarks. The 12.11 CCC Drivers demolish the 660 and the 7870 gets close to 660Ti performance.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
November 19, 2012 9:47:50 PM

What are the rest of your system specification's ? Just remember that the Arma series is poorly optimized and at least in Arma 2's case the game was more CPU bound scaling with higher frequency's and more cores than GPU dependent, hopefully Arma 3 will be better optimized. Reason I mention this is that when a few of the members in the group I played with were upgrading hardware to play the game smoother they were pretty disappointed with the performance increase they noticed as far as playing Arma 2.
a b U Graphics card
November 20, 2012 5:25:37 AM

Josheyman123 said:
Actually, I'd go with the 7870. The 660 barely beats the 7850 in performance. I'm going by real-world performance in games and such, not phony PRE-12.11 Driver Update benchmarks. The 12.11 CCC Drivers demolish the 660 and the 7870 gets close to 660Ti performance.

Just wow, you're a fanboy no doubt. GTX 660 is better in some games than the AMD 7870 like Battlefield 3 (even better performance than 7950), Borderlands 2 and Skyrim.
While 7870 is better in the Dirt games and the old Crysis games.

If we have to talk specs, then the GTX 660 surpasses the Radeon 7870.

GTX 660 (Reference) - Radeon 7870 (Reference)

Core clock

980/1110,5 (boost even though it displays 1033 at specs) mHz - 1000 mHz

Memory clock

1502 mHz - 1200 mHz

Effective clock speed

6008 mHz - 4800 mHz

Power use on load

140w - 175w

ROPS

24 - 32

Memory bus

192 - 256 (Doesn't matter in 1920x1080 gaming, which both card is mentioned for)

Memory

2 GB - 2 GB

Beyond that, then the GTX support FXAA, TXAA and physx through controlpanel, which Radeon 7870 don't.

I own the GTX 660 reference, so I can tell that it goes way beyond 1033 mHz clock speed while gaming.

But it all comes down to the games you play, the two cards are so very similar and GTX 660 ti beats 7950 in almost every game, so pleas don't compare those two. Drivers won't make the biggest difference, because you haven't seen Nvidias new 310.54 I guess.

Cheers mate, please no hate, but you can't just rely on opinions.
November 21, 2012 10:04:52 AM

lostgamer_03 said:
Just wow, you're a fanboy no doubt. GTX 660 is better in some games than the AMD 7870 like Battlefield 3 (even better performance than 7950), Borderlands 2 and Skyrim.
While 7870 is better in the Dirt games and the old Crysis games.

If we have to talk specs, then the GTX 660 surpasses the Radeon 7870.

GTX 660 (Reference) - Radeon 7870 (Reference)

Core clock

980/1110,5 (boost even though it displays 1033 at specs) mHz - 1000 mHz

Memory clock

1502 mHz - 1200 mHz

Effective clock speed

6008 mHz - 4800 mHz

Power use on load

140w - 175w

ROPS

24 - 32

Memory bus

192 - 256 (Doesn't matter in 1920x1080 gaming, which both card is mentioned for)

Memory

2 GB - 2 GB

Beyond that, then the GTX support FXAA, TXAA and physx through controlpanel, which Radeon 7870 don't.

I own the GTX 660 reference, so I can tell that it goes way beyond 1033 mHz clock speed while gaming.

But it all comes down to the games you play, the two cards are so very similar and GTX 660 ti beats 7950 in almost every game, so pleas don't compare those two. Drivers won't make the biggest difference, because you haven't seen Nvidias new 310.54 I guess.

Cheers mate, please no hate, but you can't just rely on opinions.

Before I start, let me mention his budget is $220 so it would be the STANDARD 660, not $300, which would be the 660Ti - so don't compare the 660ti AT ALL.

I'm still recovering from my outburst of laughter. I'm no fanboy, as I CLEARLY AM USING AN NVIDIA CARD, as I have all my life. If I was to be a fanboy ( which I'm completely against fanboyism ) I'd be an Nvidia fanboy. Plus, that point you made about the 660 being better in BF3, hmmmmmm. Wasn't BF3 coded primarily for Nvidia cards? Yes.

Oh, and YES! From a technical standpoint, the ONLY place the 660 beats the 7870 ( WHICH NOW HAS BOOST AS OF 12.10, so the boost clock doesn't mean **** ) is in power consumption. Memory speed is not as relevant because of the difference in memory bandwidth, so we can simply cancel each other out there. Effective clocks don't mean **** either, and that's why they are called EFFECTIVE. Period.

Now, ROPs are extremely important as they determine the throughput of the card's bandwidth. They are the Raster Operation Processors, or whatever you decide to call them, and they are essentially what backs up the Stream Processors/CUDA Cores ( Hmmm, you forgot to mention THAT TOO? ) and the 7870 beats the 660 by a large margin there - 1280 vs 960.

Physx? TXAA/FXAA? I will admit TXAA is good, but only one game as of today can use it, and it's not that much less of a performance hit than MSAA in that one particular game. All FXAA does s blur textures. Hell, my old 550Ti had support for FXAA. And Physx? Yeah, its cool. But is it worth it? It's like MSAA ( performance hit wise ), if you don't have a really powerful card, then Physx ( ESPECIALLY IN COMBINATION WITH MSAA ) will sink your machine.

Oh, not to mention overclocking. The 7870 is the highest overclocking card TO DATE on the provided air coolers ( no particular brand either ). They have had an air cooled 7870 hit over 1500MHz on the core clock. I don't know about memory, but with speeds like that, it wouldn't overly matter on a 256-but bus. The 660 can't overclock much at all.

There is one point you do have me on though. I haven't checked out the 310 drivers. I'm gonna have to go download them. ;) 

Hope that clears stuff up, as I wasn't basing my post on opinions. These are facts. Learn to accept them. Speaking of fanboys, lostgamer_03 is probably an Nvidia fanboy, so don't believe much of the **** he says.
a b U Graphics card
November 21, 2012 11:51:57 AM

Josheyman123 said:
Before I start, let me mention his budget is $220 so it would be the STANDARD 660, not $300, which would be the 660Ti - so don't compare the 660ti AT ALL.

I'm still recovering from my outburst of laughter. I'm no fanboy, as I CLEARLY AM USING AN NVIDIA CARD, as I have all my life. If I was to be a fanboy ( which I'm completely against fanboyism ) I'd be an Nvidia fanboy. Plus, that point you made about the 660 being better in BF3, hmmmmmm. Wasn't BF3 coded primarily for Nvidia cards? Yes.

Oh, and YES! From a technical standpoint, the ONLY place the 660 beats the 7870 ( WHICH NOW HAS BOOST AS OF 12.10, so the boost clock doesn't mean **** ) is in power consumption. Memory speed is not as relevant because of the difference in memory bandwidth, so we can simply cancel each other out there. Effective clocks don't mean **** either, and that's why they are called EFFECTIVE. Period.

Now, ROPs are extremely important as they determine the throughput of the card's bandwidth. They are the Raster Operation Processors, or whatever you decide to call them, and they are essentially what backs up the Stream Processors/CUDA Cores ( Hmmm, you forgot to mention THAT TOO? ) and the 7870 beats the 660 by a large margin there - 1280 vs 960.

Physx? TXAA/FXAA? I will admit TXAA is good, but only one game as of today can use it, and it's not that much less of a performance hit than MSAA in that one particular game. All FXAA does s blur textures. Hell, my old 550Ti had support for FXAA. And Physx? Yeah, its cool. But is it worth it? It's like MSAA ( performance hit wise ), if you don't have a really powerful card, then Physx ( ESPECIALLY IN COMBINATION WITH MSAA ) will sink your machine.

Oh, not to mention overclocking. The 7870 is the highest overclocking card TO DATE on the provided air coolers ( no particular brand either ). They have had an air cooled 7870 hit over 1500MHz on the core clock. I don't know about memory, but with speeds like that, it wouldn't overly matter on a 256-but bus. The 660 can't overclock much at all.

There is one point you do have me on though. I haven't checked out the 310 drivers. I'm gonna have to go download them. ;) 

Hope that clears stuff up, as I wasn't basing my post on opinions. These are facts. Learn to accept them. Speaking of fanboys, lostgamer_03 is probably an Nvidia fanboy, so don't believe much of the **** he says.

You started comparing the AMD 7870 to the GTX 660 ti, I just said they weren't compareable, because the AMD 7950 is the answer to GTX 660 ti.

Almost every game is coded after a specific GPU, so s I said, the performance also relies on the game being plaid.

You can't compare cuda cores with stream processors, because the architecture of the two are different, which Means the cores deliver different performance.

The effective clock shows the overall clocking of the Card, so it does matter.

Overclocking isn't needed on a GTX 660, if you have great cooling the Card will overclock itself even higher.
!