Sign in with
Your question

The difference in FPS/perf' when upgrading a CPU?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 19, 2012 7:06:54 PM

I'm asking this here because 90% of people here have built their own computer and at some point upgraded their processor

So I ask you this: What is the benefit of a good CPU when it comes to gaming or FPS

I currently own a Core 2 Duo E4700 and I want to upgrade to a 3570k, however nothing on the internet is convincing me i'll see anymore than 5fps MAYBE increase in performance with my Asus 6850

so, what's your guys input on this, I mean sure you can all shout JUST GET A 3570k!, but I make very little money and I'd be pretty pissed if all of it went on this upgrade if it meant seeing like almost no increase in FPS

I want to play *** like Hitman Absolution, Far cry 3, GTA IV on high etc., atm I get bearly 30fps on low-medium settings on GTA IV, with an AVG of about 20

I'm hoping a new CPU will sort this crap out (oh and I'm playing at 1280x960!!!!!, miles behind 1080)

after this I'll be getting a 1080p monitor too so yeah, don't want to get it if I can't even play *** at 1080p
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
November 19, 2012 7:11:42 PM

you would also be upgrading the motherboard and ram as well, so that's a pretty big step up in performance. as far as specific fps improvements, it would vary depending on the game.
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
November 19, 2012 7:13:11 PM

I would suggest upping your settings to high on the games you have right now and see if your FPS stays the same... if it stays the same its your CPU holding you back. The i5 3570k might be a bit over kill for your current video card ( although not at that resolution ), but going from the cpu you have to the i5 COULD give you way more than 5 fps and maybe even closer to a 30 fps gain if not more at those resolutions.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
November 19, 2012 7:13:48 PM

Yeah, I can't tell you what the difference would be exactly, but 10fps is possible with a cpu upgrade depending on the game. I suggest you go for the upgrade. It will give you a nice platform for your next gpu upgrade.
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
November 19, 2012 7:14:36 PM

daswilhelm said:
you would also be upgrading the motherboard and ram as well, so that's a pretty big step up in performance. as far as specific fps improvements, it would vary depending on the game.

At the resolution he is currently playing at i wouldn't be surprised if his avg FPS went from 20 to 60 with the new CPU in almost all games.
But as daswilhelm said you are looking at a new Mobo, ram and CPU so expect to spend ~$350-$400 for that upgrade.
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
November 19, 2012 7:27:01 PM

This should give you a good idea what you can expect from the upgrade

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/balanced-gaming-pc-...

Your current CPU is worse than all the ones listed by a decent amount. And all the video cards they tested are pretty close to how yours will perform. so if you are seeing 20 fps average, the new cpu should push you up to 65-70 fps average on high settings. I would expect to see a fairly similar improvement in pretty much all current games at 1280x960 resolution( are you sure it isn't 1280x1024?) .
a c 85 U Graphics card
a c 95 à CPUs
November 19, 2012 7:29:31 PM

It depends entirely on the game - cpu bound games such as MMOs, BF3, ect, will get a huge increase. As daswilhelm said, you'll be going from ddr2 to ddr3 ram at the same time, which will make your computer WAY faster.

Also, running at that resolution, it'll make an even bigger difference. If you want to save some money, though, the cheapest ivy bridge i5 should do fine for your needs, and you could then get an h77 motherboard instead of z77.
a c 80 U Graphics card
a c 98 à CPUs
November 19, 2012 7:33:06 PM

I upgraded from a Core 2 Duo E7200 to a Core i5-3450, both with the same Radeon HD 6850. I saw some pretty big gains in various games.
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
November 19, 2012 7:39:38 PM

My post was based off GTA IV. And at his resolution his CPU is a HUGE bottleneck for most if not all current games.
a c 263 U Graphics card
a c 317 à CPUs
November 19, 2012 8:39:33 PM

It epends on the game, and even how you play.
For example BF3 single player is not very demanding of 2 cores. But in BF3 multiplayer, it will push a fast quad to the limit.

To help clarify your options, run these two tests:

a) Run your games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely cpu limited.

b) Limit your cpu, either by reducing the OC, or, in windows power management, limit the maximum cpu% to something like 50%.
This will simulate what a lack of cpu power will do.

Go to control panel/power options/change plan settings/change advanced power settings/processor power management/maximum processor state/
set to 50% and see how you do.

If your FPS drops significantly, it is an indicator that your cpu is the limiting factor, and a cpu upgrade is in order.

It is possible that both tests are positive, indicating that you have a well balanced system, and both cpu and gpu need to be upgraded to get better gaming FPS.
November 19, 2012 8:58:41 PM

Sakkura said:
I upgraded from a Core 2 Duo E7200 to a Core i5-3450, both with the same Radeon HD 6850. I saw some pretty big gains in various games.

I'd love to here more info about the increase you got, that's a situation very very close to mine

As for the upgrade, I've had it all worked out for ages now,
z77 pro3 asrock mobo
8gb(2x4gb) hyperx kingston (the sexy black one) or vengeance
i5 3570k

It's good news what i'm hearing from you all, I think I'm definitely going to try and get that all bought by the end of the month :) 

(about £275 if all bought on amazon)
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
November 19, 2012 9:18:22 PM

I had an Athlon II X2 250 paired with my HD 6870 for the first half of this year, and in most games from the last 5 years, my CPU was bottlenecking my GPU to about 70% of its performance. Playing games in DX11 was even worse, with lots of stuttering or very low fps. When I did upgrade in July, I couldn't afford a platform including an i5, but even with my i3, I saw a 25-50% increase in most of my games.

The biggest difference came in the amount of fps drops (minimum framerate). Crysis DX10 and Crysis 2 DX11 regularly dropped below 20fps on my Athlon, but with the i3, it rarely goes below 30. The Mass Effect and Prince of Persia series bugged me because they would run at 60fps most of the time, but if there was a large vista, it would drop below - taking me to 30fps because of Vsync - incredibly irritating. Upgrading to my i3 eliminated those drops. I assume you would experience the same improvements in the 1st/3rd person games you're talking about.
a b U Graphics card
November 19, 2012 9:49:34 PM

Its definitely a worthy upgrade, Its not just core count...other factors such as architecture, clock speed, and caching will have a big effect on your performance...

...Some older games may only see small increases, but the ones you listed will see major gains... I'd go for it :) 
a c 80 U Graphics card
a c 98 à CPUs
November 19, 2012 10:01:22 PM

iixwh3l4nxii said:
I'd love to here more info about the increase you got, that's a situation very very close to mine

As for the upgrade, I've had it all worked out for ages now,
z77 pro3 asrock mobo
8gb(2x4gb) hyperx kingston (the sexy black one) or vengeance
i5 3570k

It's good news what i'm hearing from you all, I think I'm definitely going to try and get that all bought by the end of the month :) 

(about £275 if all bought on amazon)

I had some noticeable slowdowns in eg. Skyrim and Starcraft II, that was pretty much wiped out. Even Crysis 2 runs smoother.

I don't usually keep track of the FPS though. I don't really care about the number, I care about how playing the game feels.

Also, the motherboard I upgraded to is the Asrock Z75 Pro3. Very similar to the one you're looking at. It's worked pretty well so far, though I obviously haven't overclocked as much as you can.
November 19, 2012 10:03:01 PM

Wow thanks guys, that 2100 is fairly low end aswell and that x2 is quite equal with my core2duo

Really good news, thanks a lot guys, I really don't know how I can choose just one best answer XD
November 19, 2012 10:07:44 PM

Sakkura said:
I had some noticeable slowdowns in eg. Skyrim and Starcraft II, that was pretty much wiped out. Even Crysis 2 runs smoother.

I don't usually keep track of the FPS though. I don't really care about the number, I care about how playing the game feels.

Also, the motherboard I upgraded to is the Asrock Z75 Pro3. Very similar to the one you're looking at. It's worked pretty well so far, though I obviously haven't overclocked as much as you can.

Well yeah it's the same board but with a 7 instead of a 5 lol, both do the same thing really except minor things, and I agree, as long as it feels smooth who cares for the fps, but 15fps feels crap XD
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
November 20, 2012 1:11:13 AM

iixwh3l4nxii said:
Wow thanks guys, that 2100 is fairly low end aswell and that x2 is quite equal with my core2duo

Yeah, the i3-3220 is currently the best bang-for-your-buck CPU, but the i5 is definitely worth it if you can afford it.
a b à CPUs
November 20, 2012 1:25:23 AM

iixwh3l4nxii said:
I'm asking this here because 90% of people here have built their own computer and at some point upgraded their processor

So I ask you this: What is the benefit of a good CPU when it comes to gaming or FPS

I currently own a Core 2 Duo E4700 and I want to upgrade to a 3570k, however nothing on the internet is convincing me i'll see anymore than 5fps MAYBE increase in performance with my Asus 6850

so, what's your guys input on this, I mean sure you can all shout JUST GET A 3570k!, but I make very little money and I'd be pretty pissed if all of it went on this upgrade if it meant seeing like almost no increase in FPS

I want to play *** like Hitman Absolution, Far cry 3, GTA IV on high etc., atm I get bearly 30fps on low-medium settings on GTA IV, with an AVG of about 20

I'm hoping a new CPU will sort this crap out (oh and I'm playing at 1280x960!!!!!, miles behind 1080)

after this I'll be getting a 1080p monitor too so yeah, don't want to get it if I can't even play *** at 1080p

Who is saying that? A 3570K would be an epic upgrade from that CPU.
a b U Graphics card
November 20, 2012 1:44:09 AM

Depends a lot on the games you play. A modern game will get HUGE boosts from a Quad-Core.
Older games, not so much. But higher base frequency is a win all-round. So get a IB corei3 if you have a lower budget.
a b à CPUs
November 20, 2012 3:21:35 AM

He's processor is going on 5 years and its quite time to get a new CPU and the one he wants is quite good(best gaming CPU per dollar)

Games like GTA4(he listed) will easily be twice as fast and a 6850 is not really a bottleneck i had that card and played games at 1080P.
November 20, 2012 9:21:10 AM

Great news, I bought this CPU as it was the best CPU upgrade my crap motherboard could handle from a Pentium D

I paid £50 for it 2nd hand lol (the e4700), the motherboard was part of a bundle for £100,(about $160)

946gzt-am motherboard 775
2GB DDR2 ram
Radeon x1650
500GB seagate
and an old 320w OEM PSU with an OEM case

that was the beginning of this year and since then I've upgraded everything but the motherboard/ram/cpu

But yeah, absolutely gonna go for it now, my budget is £289 and it will cost me £278.20 or something, so I'm gonna do it XD
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
November 20, 2012 1:33:45 PM

iixwh3l4nxii said:
Great news, I bought this CPU as it was the best CPU upgrade my crap motherboard could handle from a Pentium D

I paid £50 for it 2nd hand lol (the e4700), the motherboard was part of a bundle for £100,(about $160)

946gzt-am motherboard 775
2GB DDR2 ram
Radeon x1650
500GB seagate
and an old 320w OEM PSU with an OEM case

that was the beginning of this year and since then I've upgraded everything but the motherboard/ram/cpu

But yeah, absolutely gonna go for it now, my budget is £289 and it will cost me £278.20 or something, so I'm gonna do it XD

You won't be disappointed, Enjoy!
November 20, 2012 5:49:19 PM

Awww crap, something came up so I had to give like £150 I owed so it will have to wait untill 18th next month,

this month i'll just get the 1080p LG IPS though, still a little disapointed, really annoyed with this slow CPU atm :(  probably wont even be able to get playable FPS at 1080p and probably end up using 1600x900 :( 
!