Sapphire Radeon HD 6850 Overheating

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Sapphire
  • HD
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 19, 2012 9:13:40 PM

I think my Sapphire HD 6850 is overheating and causing my PC to start freezing. I was playing the latest CoD Black Ops 2 and after a while the game started to randomly freeze for a second and go back to normal. I had some stuff like speccy and AMD vision monitor my temps and both say it runs at 75 degrees celsius which seems very hot.
The CPU with stock cooling never goes above 45 degrees (an unlocked athlon X3 which is now a phenom II X4 B50 deneb). I can't believe that with cooling like this that 6850 is still running very hot, i wonder will it fry some eggs for my next breakfast if i take the heatsink off, i'm fed up of having to deal with this card's insane temps, idles at 42 degrees and on load in games goes to 75 and i don't even wanna try furmark it will probably burn out. Is anyone else having the issue of the 6850 running really hot and slowing down the entire PC because despite of great cooling it still runs hot? And i forgot to add that i have good airflow in my case

More about : sapphire radeon 6850 overheating

a c 1430 U Graphics card
November 19, 2012 10:27:53 PM

75°C is not high for a GPU with max temp in the high 90's it is normal load temp.
Score
a c 177 U Graphics card
November 20, 2012 12:13:54 AM

really 75 c isnt that bad. the source of your freezes is something else. you say its an unlocked athlon x3, i suspect its more like the 4th core isnt stable than your gpu overheating. as hafijur said, clean the dust from the heatsink will help.
Score
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
November 20, 2012 12:19:36 AM

75C is normal for theses cards... my 6870 DD(2x fans) runs at the same temp under full load...

Score
November 20, 2012 12:30:15 AM

is the gpu oc'ed? it could cause freezing or youve got unlucky unlocking that 4rt core
try gaming with 3 core to be sure. most games wont utilized all four cores. a decent dual core is really enough for gaming without running anything in background.
Score
a b U Graphics card
November 20, 2012 1:10:34 AM

One thing you can try is to adjust the fan speed manually up to 75% in the CCC, just go to performance, then graphics overdrive, and enable manual fan speed control up to 75% then see if your games still freez. If you do the conversion for temp. your video card is running at 167f, to me that is warm.
Score
November 20, 2012 3:22:33 AM

knightdog56 said:
One thing you can try is to adjust the fan speed manually up to 75% in the CCC, just go to performance, then graphics overdrive, and enable manual fan speed control up to 75% then see if your games still freez. If you do the conversion for temp. your video card is running at 167f, to me that is warm.

lol those temps are normal!!
why not convert it again to celsius.
Score
November 20, 2012 3:34:38 AM

iam2thecrowe said:
really 75 c isnt that bad. the source of your freezes is something else. you say its an unlocked athlon x3, i suspect its more like the 4th core isnt stable than your gpu overheating. as hafijur said, clean the dust from the heatsink will help.

I was running prime95 for an hour without any errors or warnings with the peak temp being 55 degrees.
Score
November 20, 2012 3:37:27 AM

gene_11 said:
is the gpu oc'ed? it could cause freezing or youve got unlucky unlocking that 4rt core
try gaming with 3 core to be sure. most games wont utilized all four cores. a decent dual core is really enough for gaming without running anything in background.

Nah the CPU is stable 100% i've stress tested it without any warnings or errors. I tried with the locked core and it lags and then starts to freeze as usual, i actually have gotten lucky that it had the L3 cache as well as the stable core.
Score
November 20, 2012 3:40:21 AM

iam2thecrowe said:

The PC has been cleaned a few days ago and even after 3 months its not dusty much. The CPU is fine and stable it has been stress tested in prime95 for an hour. This only happens when my GPU reaches 75 degrees, i mean the freezing thing
Score
November 20, 2012 4:18:44 AM

sounds to be driver issue to me or maybe youre system is underpowered.
you did not mention the specs of your pc
Score
November 20, 2012 10:55:02 AM

gene_11 said:
sounds to be driver issue to me or maybe youre system is underpowered.
you did not mention the specs of your pc

Sapphire Radeon HD 6850
AMD Phenom II X4 B50 3.2ghz
MSI 970A-G46
Antec High Current Gamer 620W (non modular)
8gb of Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz (2x4gb) dual channel
Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM SATA2 160gb
No optical drive
Score

Best solution

November 20, 2012 11:33:21 AM

so i think the problem is with the game, as you said it freezes when gaming! why not try to reinstall the game. if you want or if you got a software to reduce vcore voltage on the gpu. it might reduce temp. or you may or should reapply tim on the gpu..
will drop temp as well
November 20, 2012 12:12:38 PM

gene_11 said:
so i think the problem is with the game, as you said it freezes when gaming! why not try to reinstall the game. if you want or if you got a software to reduce vcore voltage on the gpu. it might reduce temp. or you may or should reapply tim on the gpu..
will drop temp as well

Well i thought replacing the thermal paste wouldn't change anything but when i took off the cooling i was surprised at what i saw. It actually didn't have any paste at all. How could a company like Sapphire do something like this??? No wonder its overheating when it doesn't have any paste. But at first i hesitated to remove the sticker which would void my warranty but i realized that there are no 6850's available i thought that i can't get a new 6850 so my warranty doesn't mean nothing and i took it off.
Score
November 20, 2012 9:54:28 PM

so there goes the problem. glad you able to figure it out
Score
a c 1430 U Graphics card
November 20, 2012 9:57:13 PM

Still was not reaching max temp so I am interested in knowing if it fixed the issue. If so it should have been RMA'd instead of voiding warranty since apparently it is a Lemon then.
Score
November 20, 2012 10:02:44 PM

rolli59 said:
Still was not reaching max temp so I am interested in knowing if it fixed the issue. If so it should have been RMA'd instead of voiding warranty since apparently it is a Lemon then.

What is RMA??
Score
a c 1430 U Graphics card
November 20, 2012 10:04:29 PM

Claiming warranty return from manufacturer or retailer.
Score
November 21, 2012 8:51:34 AM

rolli59 said:
Claiming warranty return from manufacturer or retailer.

Well it works fine now. When i replace it i'm gonna try and cook eggs on it or smash it with a hammer
Score
November 21, 2012 6:13:09 PM

Best answer selected by Lazar_99.
Score
a c 177 U Graphics card
November 21, 2012 8:03:22 PM

Lazar_99 said:
Well it works fine now. When i replace it i'm gonna try and cook eggs on it or smash it with a hammer

yeah, that will make everything better. You will find the next graphics card you get runs at the same temp. Go smash that with a hammer too.
Score
!