Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Upgrades opinion requested

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 19, 2012 9:14:18 PM

Seeking thoughts on upgrades...

Background: I last rebuilt my rig in July 2010. I'm a quality-per-price bastard, so will not buy bleeding edge (have never needed to spend more than 250 on a vid-card) but work to future proof as much as possible. Due to this I have no pressing need to upgrade right now, my rig is doing everything I need it to do.

90% of my activity with it is the game Arma2, and I run between 20-40 fps depending on map.

The video card I have is becoming scarce so if I want to SLI I need to act now. However it's price is still high enough that I should consider tossing it and replacing with a more modern card. That could domino into a total new rig; which isn't really necessary now. This is the crux of my decision.

My debate:
Option 1: Sjpend ~$210 on a 2nd video card (matched) to do SLI, to keep it running for another year or so.

Option 2: Spend around same amount on a brand new video card

Option 3: Do nothing, continue getting return from my investment in 2010, and wait to build a complete new rig in 6-12 months.

I'm leaning option 2, but my concern is compatibility & effectiveness with the rest of my rig. Thoughts?

Vid: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 (Fermi) GC 2GB 850mhz / 336 cores (56NPH6HS4IXX)

Mob: Asus P6X58D-E /
CPU: Intel Core i7-930 Bloomfield 2.8GHz LGA 1366 -- OC'd to 4.0ghz
Ram: G.SKILL Trident 6GB (3 x 2GB) DDR3 2000 (PC3 16000)
PSU: Seasonic 700w m12 [fantastic psu btw, into my 5th year of use]
Primary monitor: HannsĀ·G HG-281DPB 28" @ 1920 x 1200
a c 1408 U Graphics card
November 19, 2012 10:22:23 PM

Option two presuming it is a much better card, cant open the link.
November 19, 2012 11:13:16 PM

It's a 7850, get rid of the ). at the end of the link and it will work.