Feedback requested-Picture/HD Video editing, gaming & general use box

illucid

Honorable
Jan 3, 2013
Hello everyone. I've done quite a bit of research on the site here, as well as via the reviews on other sites, and have come up with a build proposal that I'd like to get some feedbakc on. Here goes:

Approximate Purchase Date: Next week

Budget Range: $800-$1000 before rebates & shipping. Budget isn't super important, but I'd like to target sub $1000, and am considering waiting on buying a higher end video card, since my checking account is still healing from Christmas ;)

System Usage from Most to Least Important:
-High resolution picture browsing & editing (photoshop, etc.) -- have a Canon T3i SLR which takes giant sized pictures in RAW mode.
-Occasional HD Video playing & editing (I tried editing years ago with one of the first HD Camcorders on my current [old] PC, a P4 3.0G, with an Nvidia GeForce 7900 GTX, it was hopelessly too slow, so I abandoned that). HD Videos that I have recorded play, but not well on my current PC.
-OCR Software (I use omnipage & adobe quite a bit for scanning and OCR'ing old docs)
-Surfing internet
-General Office Applications
-Gaming -- I used to play battlefield 2 years ago, had a great time, but ran out of free time :) Wouldn't mind having the capability of playing some newer games at 1900x1200 if time would allow, but don't need a top of the line gaming rig.
-Future proof -- I don't necessarily need the latest and greatest, but have held on to my current PC for more than 5 years, and would like something that somewhat future proofs me with out paying the absolute premiums for the very bleeding edge.

Are you buying a monitor?: No. I have a 24" Dell monitor that does 1900x1200, and still works very well.

Parts to Upgrade: All (New Build)

Do you need to buy OS: No, will be using the Win7 Retail that I have on my current PC.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: no preference

Parts Preferences: by brand or type: I want Intel for the processor, and seagate for bulk storage. Other than that, I don't have any brand preferences.

Overclocking: Maybe: would like to have the ability to do so, would need to make sure the parts I buy support it, but haven't done this in years and years, so need to refresh myself on the dos and donts.

SLI or Crossfire: No -- I don't see myself paying for 2 high end video cards.

Your Monitor Resolution: 1920x1200 is what I currently use

Additional Comments: I am looking for a minitower (MicroATX), my current PC is too big and bulky for my preference. Would also prefer a quieter PC, but that is secondary to the size. Am looking to run Raid mirroring, and potentially get a SSD for quick boot time for the O/S. Software, some previously mentioned, but Adobe Photoshop, Acrobat Pro, Omnipage, and looking to invest in some reasonably priced HD editing software (for home video use) -- Adobe premiere or similar.

I'm upgrading because my current box is falling apart -- one Raid drive has gone down, and the Video card now puts colored dots and other artifacts all over the screen. Plus, I'm overdue for an upgrade to get myself up to some reasonable technology.

Include a list of any parts you have already selected with descriptively labeled links for parts. Please do not post only links.

I spent a lot of time looking at the [New Build] BestConfigs: MicroATX Gaming Build, and lifted what I liked out of a number of the posts there. I'm also open to Mini-ITX, but the cases are rather limited; I like the BitFenix Prodigy case, but I don't think that won't hold two 3.5" drives, one SSD drive, plus a full-length video card, I don't think.

Specific questions I have about my build:
-Physical compatibility of the processor cooler with the memory (I chose low profile memory, but not sure what to pick)
-Power Supply needs: According to PCPartsPicker, my estimated power consumption is 311 Watts when I throw in a 1GB Geforce GTX card (just as a sample card), I have picked a 650W 80 Plus Bronze Certified PS, but unclear if it is too much power, not enough, etc.
-Recommendation on a video card -- again, I may elect to purchase one in the future (instead of now), so bear that in mind if any new technology is on the horizon that could make today's latest and greatest a bit more affordable.
-SSD: Lots of people recommend the Samsung 840 & 850 series -- but they are all 2.5" -- is that normal? do I need to buy an adapter kit or otherwise ensure my case supports 2.5" drives?
-What other accessories should I consider? I built dozens of PC's back in the 386,486,Pentium days, but it's been awhile, so I'm not up on what the latest must-have accessories are. I don't need a window or neon, etc., this box will just sit under the desk.

Here are the parts that I have chosen, link to my pcpartpicker build is here:
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/vCp4

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor: $219.99 -$15.00 for combo at NewEgg
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler: $29.99 at Newegg
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-M Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard: $119.99 at SuperBiiz
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory: $44.99 at NewEgg
Storage (Raid): Seagate Barracuda 1.5TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive: $74.99 at NCIX US
Storage (Raid): Seagate Barracuda 1.5TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive: $74.99 at NCIX US
Storage (O/S SSD): Samsung 840 Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk: $164.99 at Adorama
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 650 Ti 1GB Video Card: $164.99 -$20.00 at Microcenter
Case: Silverstone TJ08B-E MicroATX Mini Tower Case: $108.23 including tax at Amazon
Power Supply: Corsair Enthusiast 650W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply: $89.99 -$10.00 at Newegg
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS424-98 DVD/CD Writer

Thanks!
Illucid.

Solution
if you dont overclock, you can get yourself a e3 1230v2 (xeon version of the i7 3770 without graphics). you get around a 30-40% increase in performance in workloads given it provides more threads than a i5. just a option

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/vKtB

-got more ram given i used a motherboard that only has 2 ram slots. the asus z77 m boards from what i know are pretty terrible in terms of reliability
-a better SSD
-just go with one drive. i dont see that much point of a raid setup
-you dont need a adaptor. the case i chose has SSD mountings on the hard drive bays
-you really dont need that much wattage. 550w is perfectly fine
if you dont overclock, you can get yourself a e3 1230v2 (xeon version of the i7 3770 without graphics). you get around a 30-40% increase in performance in workloads given it provides more threads than a i5. just a option

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/vKtB

-got more ram given i used a motherboard that only has 2 ram slots. the asus z77 m boards from what i know are pretty terrible in terms of reliability
-a better SSD
-just go with one drive. i dont see that much point of a raid setup
-you dont need a adaptor. the case i chose has SSD mountings on the hard drive bays
-you really dont need that much wattage. 550w is perfectly fine

Solution

illucid

Honorable
Jan 3, 2013

Thanks TheBigTroll!

A couple of comments:
1. Thanks for the recommendation on the e3 1230v2, will look into that.
2. I hadn't heard about the asus z77 m boards reliability issues. If I were to end up sticking with the i5 and look for overclocking, what MB would your recommend?
3. For harddrives, I've had two experiences where I have permanently lost data (even after drivesavers), so I'm extremely gun shy. I now have a multiple redundant system (Raid mirroring, plus local and remote backups), so given my sour past experiences, I'll be sticking with Raid.
4. I had read some good things about the Samsung SSD, you feel Mushkin is a better brand?

Best Regards,
Illucid

g-unit1111

Titan
With regards to the motherboard, how is the Asrock z77 pro 4? It's a bit cheaper than the extreme version. I really hope I can fit the extreme into my budget, but it could be the case of being a few euro short on the day, so I'd like to know my options.

The thing you have to remember with a RAID 0 / RAID 1 setup is that if one drive fails the whole thing fails. Think of it like mountain climbers hooked up to a chain. If you really want a fail-safe get yourself a BD-R drive that has dual layer burning capability and make frequent backups.

4. I had read some good things about the Samsung SSD, you feel Mushkin is a better brand?

The bad thing about that Mushkin drive that Troll linked to is that it's based on an old, slow and outdated Sandforce 2.0 controller. The Samsung 840 Pro is based on a new proprietary Samsung controller that's one of the fastest on the market. Another good option would be the new OCZ Vector which is also based on a proprietary controller called Bigfoot. Both drives are amazingly fast.

dude, sandforce isnt slow. if you let 95% of the people sit down on a computer and use it, they wont see a thing of a difference. you can tell the difference from a agility drive to a mushkin, but not from a mushkin to a vector. and the vector does cost a ton more

the samsung 830 is 10 bucks more than the mushkin. i have a mushkin. the exact same model

illucid

Honorable
Jan 3, 2013
The thing you have to remember with a RAID 0 / RAID 1 setup is that if one drive fails the whole thing fails. Think of it like mountain climbers hooked up to a chain. If you really want a fail-safe get yourself a BD-R drive that has dual layer burning capability and make frequent backups.

Really? I have Raid 1 (mirroring) setup on the slowly dying PC I'm writing this from and it works fine on just one drive-- I just have no redundancy left until I fix the problem. Did you mean RAID 1+0 (Raid 10)? If so, then I agree, and I'm planning on only running raid 1.

g-unit1111

Titan

That's the bad thing about Vector is the high cost. I did a bit of searching and there is a very noticeable difference in the two - particularly read - write times: http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/730?vs=529

A lot of areas on that benchmark - the Intel does come close to matching the Vector but for everything else the Vector beats it by a long shot.

Really? I have Raid 1 (mirroring) setup on the slowly dying PC I'm writing this from and it works fine on just one drive-- I just have no redundancy left until I fix the problem. Did you mean RAID 1+0 (Raid 10)? If so, then I agree, and I'm planning on only running raid 1.

Yeah that was RAID 10 that I meant.