A couple of months ago i switched of system restore as i
had a number of virus's. i cleaned the whole system and
it has been working fine (using windows XP SP1.)
I am now having a few problems with devices etc and i
have just realised that i did not switch system restore
back on.
under Win 98 you could type in Scan reg to restore i reg
point, it would appear that you can not do this with XP
any suggestions would be welcome.

Monty

Hi

If you turned System Restore off, then you will have no checkpoints to
recover your system from. System Restore doesn't monitor *all* files on a
system in any case. What problems have you got now?

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

"Monty" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>A couple of months ago i switched of system restore as i
> had a number of virus's. i cleaned the whole system and
> it has been working fine (using windows XP SP1.)
> I am now having a few problems with devices etc and i
> have just realised that i did not switch system restore
> back on.
> under Win 98 you could type in Scan reg to restore i reg
> point, it would appear that you can not do this with XP
> any suggestions would be welcome.
>
> Monty

I installed some copying sofware and when i rebooted the
system. My DVD & CDR drive had gone.
I un-installed the software and rebooted still no joy.
i then went into device manager and un-installed the
device drivers and re-installed but the ! mark still
appears.

Hi

Did you reboot your system between uninstalling/re-installing the devices
via Device Manager? A reboot will allow Windows to re-detect the devices
and should install Windows own drivers for those devices.

--

>I installed some copying sofware and when i rebooted the
> system. My DVD & CDR drive had gone.
> I un-installed the software and rebooted still no joy.
> i then went into device manager and un-installed the
> device drivers and re-installed but the ! mark still
> appears.

Yes i rebooted each time

Hi

Do both/either of the drives show up in the BIOS?