Sign in with
Your question

RAM Problem

Last response: in Systems
January 3, 2013 11:57:13 PM

I've recently decided to upgrade the RAM on my computer with leftover RAM from another build. I added two 2Gb sticks of memory, the same frequency and DDR as the previous two 4Gb sticks, and my computer wouldnt post, and only power for few seconds before shutting down and repeating. I remove the extra RAM and it boots fine. My motherboard supports up to 16Gb of memory and supports the frequencies. Heres my build.

PSU: Came with case (Smilodon). Has either 400 or 500 watts, the page has a newer version without PSU listed.
CPU: i3 Ivy Bridge 3220
RAM: Ballistix x2 4Gb DDR3 1333 (Previously installed) Ballistix x2 2Gb DDR3 1333 (Trying to install)
Motherboard: ASRock H61iCafe (Updated the BIOS)
HDD: 250Gb (I forget the maker)
SSD: None
CPU Fan: Stock fan

Is the problem with the BIOS? Do I need to edit it to support two different memory capacities?

More about : ram problem

January 4, 2013 12:49:00 AM

Would it change anything if I said that a week before this I upgraded my CPU?
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
a c 85 } Memory
January 4, 2013 1:04:31 AM

take a look at your mb ram install guild. if this was an asus mb. you would put the smaller ram in a0 and b0 slots and the larger on b1 and a1. look at your guild and see what slots are bank 0 and the other is bank1. you dont want to put a larger dimm and a smaller one on the same channel/bank.
m
l
January 4, 2013 3:37:12 AM

smorizio said:
take a look at your mb ram install guild. if this was an asus mb. you would put the smaller ram in a0 and b0 slots and the larger on b1 and a1. look at your guild and see what slots are bank 0 and the other is bank1. you dont want to put a larger dimm and a smaller one on the same channel/bank.

AMD Radeon said:
you probably got a bad ram
btw this one is really long troubleshooting and procedure to detect failed ram
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-ste...

I had tested the RAM, it works fine alone. I did not check what one 2Gb and one 4Gb do together,if it makes any difference. I could only two in each of the sets of RAM, if that makes any sense.
m
l
January 4, 2013 3:37:17 AM

smorizio said:

AMD Radeon said:
you probably got a bad ram
btw this one is really long troubleshooting and procedure to detect failed ram
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-ste...

I had tested the RAM, it works fine alone. I did not check what one 2Gb and one 4Gb do together,if it makes any difference. I could only two in each of the sets of RAM, if that makes any sense.

Edit* Sorry for double post.
m
l
!