Sign in with
Your question

Need help with PhysX please!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 19, 2012 11:12:21 PM

I am upgrading my wife's computer this month. Before I purchase the parts I would like some advice about dedicated PhysX.

Here are her specs to start:

AMD FX 4100
AsRock 970 Extreme4
8 GB Crucial Ballistics DDR3 1333
2 GeForce GTX 460 in SLI
Antech Kuhler 620 Liquid-cooler
PC Power and Cooling Silencer MK2 950w PSU
Corsair White Graphite 600T Case
Seagate Hard drive 7200 rpm

I am upgrading it to this if all works out:

AMD FX 8350
AsRock 970 Extreme4
16 GB Corsair Dominator DDR3 1333
Gigabyte Geforce GTX 670 2gb
EVGA GeForce GT 640 2Gb (Dedicated Physics)
Antech Kuhler 620 liquid-cooler
PC Power and Cooling Silencer MK2 950w PSU
Corsair White Graphite 600T Case
Corsair Force Series GT 120Gb SSD
Seagate Hard drive 7200 rpm

Will the Dedicated PhysX card cause any slow downs since its a GT model? I can get this card for $80 where buying a GTX2** used off eBay will cost the same or more and has half the Cuda Cores to process PhysX. And forget about any other GTX series newer than the 2** series. The 2 460s I am removing from her current setup are spoken for in two other computers I am setting up. And the GT 640 has more Cuda cores anyway, but if it is recommended to be better I can use the GT 640 in a diff. machine and a 460 in hers for the PhysX.

Any suggestions are welcome. I am trying not to spend a fortune on the PhysX Card. She plays Several PhysX games though such as Alice:Madness Returns, Batman A/C, Borderlands/Borderlands 2, Mirrors Edge and a few others. So the dedicated PhysX should speed up her primary card and allow for better graphics quality and higher FPS without sacrificing the PhysX effects. Am I right?

Also which slot would be best to install the card to? Does PhysX need a high speed slot like an 8x or will it work just as well in a 4x slot? I assume that if I install the 670 in PCIE2@x16 that I can install the 640 in either PCIE4@x8 or PCIE5@x4. Not sure I am understanding that right but here is what the manual says for the slots on the mobo. Let me know if I am right or wrong:

*3 x PCI Express 2.0 x16 slots (PCIE2/PCIE4: single at x16 (PCIE2) / x8 (PCIE4), or dual at x8 (PCIE2) / x8 (PCIE4) ; PCIE5: x4 mode)

Here's a link to AsRock for details on the Mobo:http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=970%20Extre...

Thanks for your help!

More about : physx

November 19, 2012 11:24:39 PM

Those games do not need too much GPU power to get high numbers. Borderlands 2 can be maxed out with just a GTX 660... With an GTX 670 you are just going to get 100FPS +physx at max....

With that powerfull GPU forget about adding more cards for Physx that you dont need...
m
l
November 19, 2012 11:26:55 PM

Those GTX 200 series cards you speak of (I believe I saw some 260s?) would do much better then a 640 due to the fact that the Tesla architecture used in the 200 cards is better suited for compute and PhysX then the 640 and it's Keplar architecture (remember Keplar has more cores but does less per core among other factors). However those GTX 200 series cards would definitely require more power.
m
l
Related resources
November 19, 2012 11:53:13 PM

whooleo said:
Those GTX 200 series cards you speak of (I believe I saw some 260s?) would do much better then a 640 due to the fact that the Tesla architecture used in the 200 cards is better suited for compute and PhysX then the 640 and it's Keplar architecture (remember Keplar has more cores but does less per core among other factors). However those GTX 200 series cards would definitely require more power.

The power was the main reason for wanting to go with the newer card. That and its cheaper and useable for other things in the future where as the 200 series cards aren't good for a whole lot anymore. So are you saying that the 640 wont do the job or just that its way overkill? Overkill I can deal with. I just want a card that will do the job without costing a fortune upfront or makin my electric bill go crazy. lol
m
l
November 19, 2012 11:57:26 PM

It would most likely do the job however, not as good as a GTX 200.

EDIT:I was reading and it seems that memory bandwidth matters for PhysX. So with that said, a GTX 650 would do a much better job then that 640 due to the increased memory bandwidth and might be the preferred option.
m
l
November 20, 2012 12:41:25 AM

whooleo said:
It would most likely do the job however, not as good as a GTX 200.

EDIT:I was reading and it seems that memory bandwidth matters for PhysX. So with that said, a GTX 650 would do a much better job then that 640 due to the increased memory bandwidth and might be the preferred option.

Ok, so in comparison to say a GTX 280 how will the 650 perform I wonder. Will it make a difference it the card I choose is in the x8 or the x4 slot?
m
l
November 21, 2012 12:51:45 AM

etrnlxdarkness said:
Ok, so in comparison to say a GTX 280 how will the 650 perform I wonder. Will it make a difference it the card I choose is in the x8 or the x4 slot?

The 280 is still more powerful however, the 650 uses far less power, is quieter, and cooler.

Use the x8 if you can but it shouldn't make too much of a difference because you're going to be using the card for PhysX which isn't too PCIE bandwidth dependant.

It all comes down to if you want monster PhysX performance but with high power draw and high thermals or very good PhysX performance but low power draw and lower thermals.
m
l
November 21, 2012 12:55:47 AM

whooleo said:
The 280 is still more powerful however, the 650 uses far less power, is quieter, and cooler.

Use the x8 if you can but it shouldn't make too much of a difference because you're going to be using the card for PhysX which isn't too PCIE bandwidth dependant.

It all comes down to if you want monster PhysX performance but with high power draw and high thermals or very good PhysX performance but low power draw and lower thermals.

Ok, how does the gtx460 sc that I have already compare to the 280? Would it be better as far as "monster PhysX performance" with less power drain than the 280 but obviously more than the 650?
m
l
November 21, 2012 1:23:32 AM

Your 460 would definitely provide "monster" PhysX performance because it's actually faster then a 280 and uses less power.

If I were you I would just throw that 460 in there if it's a spare and call it a day.
m
l
!