[SI] [Mandators list]

Last response: in Digital Camera
June 27, 2005 7:33:44 PM

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [SI] [Mandators list]
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 15:07:17 -0400
From: Alan Browne <alan.browne@FreeLunchVideotron.ca>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.equipment.35mm

Well, it's that time.

18 valid applications to be mandator were received and were randomly
assigned (by computer) as follows:

POS SCORE Mandator
=== ===== ========

1 56 : Joseph Kewfi -- MANDATES SI ON 1 July !!
2 137 : Owamanga -- mandates SI on 15 July !
3 146 : Bowser -- mandates SI on 29 July
4 179 : William Drew
5 218 : Mark Lauter
6 232 : Jim Kramer
7 239 : Lisa Horton
8 282 : Ken Nadrovnik
9 341 : Michael J Hoffman
10 399 : Alan Browne
11 416 : Al Denelsback
12 465 : Tom Hudson
13 514 : Cody Houston
14 569 : Peter Boorman
15 753 : Douglas
16 835 : Parv
17 852 : Walt Hanks
18 886 : Paul Furman

(Score is a randomly generated number).

The new mandate list is at

http://www.aliasimages.com/si/rulz.html#Round4

There were two disqualified entrants:

"Sarah Molly" : Unable to confirm real e-mail address.

and "Chris19XX@hotmail.com" - no such e-mail address.

Paul Bielec did not ask to be in... eh Paul? What's up? Hurry hurry!

Cheers,
Alan.

PS: Selection method: I wrote a Pascal program that used a B-tree
sorting on a computer random number between 0 and 1000. A list was
generated by listing from the tree based on score. A list was accepted
if a) another random number in the range 0 to 255 was 0 AND b) if my
name was in the middle position of the list (or middle + 1 if an even
number of entrants.) It took some 3500 list generations before that
condition was satisfied, so a pretty well "randomized" list.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.

More about : mandators list

Anonymous
June 28, 2005 10:15:15 AM

Alan Browne wrote:

> PS: Selection method: I wrote a Pascal program that used a B-tree
> sorting on a computer random number between 0 and 1000. A list was
> generated by listing from the tree based on score. A list was accepted
> if a) another random number in the range 0 to 255 was 0 AND b) if my
> name was in the middle position of the list (or middle + 1 if an even
> number of entrants.) It took some 3500 list generations before that
> condition was satisfied, so a pretty well "randomized" list.

What happened to the hat?

Douglas
Anonymous
June 28, 2005 10:15:16 AM

Ryadia wrote:

> Alan Browne wrote:
>

>> PS: Selection method: I wrote a Pascal program that used a B-tree
>> sorting on a computer random number between 0 and 1000. A list was
>> generated by listing from the tree based on score. A list was accepted
>> if a) another random number in the range 0 to 255 was 0 AND b) if my
>> name was in the middle position of the list (or middle + 1 if an even
>> number of entrants.) It took some 3500 list generations before that
>> condition was satisfied, so a pretty well "randomized" list.
>>

> What happened to the hat?

Needed hat, paper, pencil. I already have a computer and a 15 year old
compiler in it that does the job just fine. Took about 15 minutes to
write the program, debug and test. I don't have a hat.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
June 28, 2005 1:50:20 PM

On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 18:47:48 -0400, Alan Browne wrote:

>> What happened to the hat?
>
> Needed hat, paper, pencil. I already have a computer and a 15 year old
> compiler in it that does the job just fine. Took about 15 minutes to
> write the program, debug and test. I don't have a hat.

You don't have a brain to put in it either, by the sounds of it.

What an idiot.

--
Save photography | shoot some film today!

email: drop rods and insert surfaces
Anonymous
June 28, 2005 5:05:25 PM

> PS: Selection method: I wrote a Pascal program that used a B-tree
> sorting on a computer random number between 0 and 1000. A list was
> generated by listing from the tree based on score. A list was accepted
> if a) another random number in the range 0 to 255 was 0 AND b) if my
> name was in the middle position of the list (or middle + 1 if an even
> number of entrants.) It took some 3500 list generations before that
> condition was satisfied, so a pretty well "randomized" list.

You could have used Delphi, a TStringList and avoided the hassle of a
b-tree. :)

--
Mark

Photos, Ideas & Opinions
http://www.marklauter.com
Anonymous
June 29, 2005 2:49:39 AM

Mr. Mark <e.cartman@southpark.com> wrote:

>> PS: Selection method: I wrote a Pascal program that used a B-tree
>> sorting on a computer random number between 0 and 1000. A list was
>> generated by listing from the tree based on score. A list was accepted
>> if a) another random number in the range 0 to 255 was 0 AND b) if my
>> name was in the middle position of the list (or middle + 1 if an even
>> number of entrants.) It took some 3500 list generations before that
>> condition was satisfied, so a pretty well "randomized" list.
>
>You could have used Delphi, a TStringList and avoided the hassle of a
>b-tree. :)

Couldn't he have just assigned himself to the middle position,
given everyone else a random number, and sorted them in excel?
(2 mins max)

--
Ken Tough
Anonymous

Ken Tough <ken@objectech.co.uk> wrote:

>Mr. Mark <e.cartman@southpark.com> wrote:
>
>>> PS: Selection method: I wrote a Pascal program that used a B-tree
>>> sorting on a computer random number between 0 and 1000. A list was
>>> generated by listing from the tree based on score. A list was accepted
>>> if a) another random number in the range 0 to 255 was 0 AND b) if my
>>> name was in the middle position of the list (or middle + 1 if an even
>>> number of entrants.) It took some 3500 list generations before that
>>> condition was satisfied, so a pretty well "randomized" list.
>>
>>You could have used Delphi, a TStringList and avoided the hassle of a
>>b-tree. :)
>
>Couldn't he have just assigned himself to the middle position,
>given everyone else a random number, and sorted them in excel?
>(2 mins max)

It is a sign of someone who has nothing to do, and all day to do it.

You know what they say:

"Those who cannot do, teach."

"For those who cannot teach, there are always vacancies in marketing."
Anonymous
July 1, 2005 8:24:11 PM

That's how it started (Excel) but lacked 'mystery', so a few minutes
programming obfuscated the process.

Cheers,
Alan
!