Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

My GTX 560 Ti does not fit in socket?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
November 20, 2012 1:34:20 AM

I just bought a ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 and installed it. I bought a EVGA GTX 560 Ti a few days ago only to find out it does not fit into the motherboard. Whenever I try to stick it in, it does not "click." Why? I think because the geniuses at ASRock put the SATA ports right under where the GPU is supposed to go, which hinders it from going in all the way. Now, on to the next PCI-E slot, which also has a little heat sink (I think that is what it is) right under where the GPU is supposed to go and also blocks it from being pushed in all the way. I then got my relatively small ATI Radeon 4850 and put it in and it works perfectly. I even tried the GTX 560 Ti inside my brother's computer and it works. So, it has to be the motherboard. But, how can it be? Nobody else is complaining about this problem!

Forgive me if this is in the wrong section.

This is the exact motherboard:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=13-157-...

Thanks in advance!

More about : gtx 560 fit socket

November 20, 2012 2:10:08 AM

are using the top pceix16 slot or the lower one ?
if ur saying the sata ports are in the way i think by that mb pic ur using the lower slot u should be using the top x16 pci-e one closest to the cpu socket
m
0
l
November 20, 2012 2:18:15 AM

I found one site with a review showing that they installed an Nvidia 560ti. Looking at pictures, it looks like it would have all the same problems installing due to the comparable size of the shroud on both cards. It should also be understood that it does take firm pressure to install some cards, but you know that, I assume, since you have already tried fitting the card into another PC.

m
0
l
Related resources
November 20, 2012 2:19:54 AM

tassietim said:
are using the top pceix16 slot or the lower one ?
if ur saying the sata ports are in the way i think by that mb pic ur using the lower slot u should be using the top x16 pci-e one closest to the cpu socket


He did mention the fact of a heat sink being in the way on the top PCIe slot. I can't see how its really protruding that much, but of course, I don't have it front of me to see it.
m
0
l
November 20, 2012 2:56:29 AM

I feel like a damn scientist having to test all of this.

I found something out, the GPU fits, and instead of the "click" you get when you push the GPU in, you have to manually close it with a little slider. Anyways, after having found that out, it still doesn't work :( .

I also have a EVGA GTS 250 and it possesses the same problem as my 560 Ti. I don't think so but, can it have to do with my whole rig being intel versus my brother's being AMD?

Can it be my motherboard? No, because my ATI Radeon 4850 works fine.
Can it be my PSU? No, because again, my ATI Radeon 4850 works fine.
Can it be my 560 Ti? No, because it works fine on my brother's computer.

I honestly don't know. :fou: 

Thanks for all the answers.
m
0
l
November 20, 2012 3:05:52 AM

tassietim said:
are using the top pceix16 slot or the lower one ?
if ur saying the sata ports are in the way i think by that mb pic ur using the lower slot u should be using the top x16 pci-e one closest to the cpu socket


I have tried both well over 20 times, and shouldn't they both work?

Thank you for your answer
m
0
l
a c 76 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
November 20, 2012 4:29:55 AM

sandwich1 said:

Can it be my PSU? No, because again, my ATI Radeon 4850 works fine.


Honestly you lost me when you went "could it be my PSU? No, again my 110W card works and my 170W card doesn't"

What is your PSU. What is your full system.

And as always PERFORM THESE STEPS BEFORE POSTING ABOUT NO VIDEO

www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-steps-post...
m
0
l
November 20, 2012 4:34:52 AM

unksol said:
Honestly you lost me when you went "could it be my PSU? No, again my 110W card works and my 170W card doesn't"

What is your PSU. What is your full system.

And as always PERFORM THESE STEPS BEFORE POSTING ABOUT NO VIDEO

www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-steps-post...


I meant like, could my PSU 6pin adapters not be working, but then again they do work with my ATI 4850.

My system specs are:
ASRock z77 extreme4
Intel i5-2300 LGA 1155
Corsair TX 850w
8 GB DDR3 ram
EVGA GTX 560 Ti
m
0
l
a c 76 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
November 20, 2012 5:09:36 AM

K, I'll agree with the weirdness. That's a pretty good PSU. you just never know with people on these forums. Please forgive my ass-Hat-ery.

I would still try everything in the no video list.

In any case a fit issue seems implausible unless you got an out of spec part. I would swap PSU's with your bro and try the 560ti again too.

It won't be Intel vs nvidia vs AMD etc. something is wrong but if you decide to RMA a part, their support may try to help. I've found that discussion ends immediately when you run then down an extensive list of what you have already tried and they grasp you are nit asking lightly
m
0
l
November 20, 2012 1:19:12 PM

graphics cards are recommended to be placed in the 1st pci-e slot

that EVGA requires 2x 6pin power which the PSU should have enough for but if none them work

only thing i could see stopping it fitting is the shroud on the card but i would have thought that wouldn't be an issue as the MB maker would assume clearances for any type of graphics going into the slots

very weird problem

might be time for the " Special Tool ".....
12 lb sledgehammer

m
0
l
November 20, 2012 1:47:04 PM

unksol said:
K, I'll agree with the weirdness. That's a pretty good PSU. you just never know with people on these forums. Please forgive my ass-Hat-ery.

I would still try everything in the no video list.

In any case a fit issue seems implausible unless you got an out of spec part. I would swap PSU's with your bro and try the 560ti again too.

It won't be Intel vs nvidia vs AMD etc. something is wrong but if you decide to RMA a part, their support may try to help. I've found that discussion ends immediately when you run then down an extensive list of what you have already tried and they grasp you are nit asking lightly


Do you think it would be better to switch the PSU's around or change my motherboard with another one first? Which one is more likely to be the problem? :ouch: 

Thanks
m
0
l
November 20, 2012 1:49:18 PM

tassietim said:
graphics cards are recommended to be placed in the 1st pci-e slot

that EVGA requires 2x 6pin power which the PSU should have enough for but if none them work

only thing i could see stopping it fitting is the shroud on the card but i would have thought that wouldn't be an issue as the MB maker would assume clearances for any type of graphics going into the slots

very weird problem

might be time for the " Special Tool ".....
12 lb sledgehammer


Nice suggestion, I may just try that last bit out if my rage meter reaches its peak.


m
0
l
November 20, 2012 5:57:38 PM

I have some good news and some bad news:
The good news is I replaced my motherboard with my old one and the card worked!
The bad news is I have to send the new motherboard back. I don't know if I should get another ASRock. I might stick with Gigabyte.
Thanks everyone
m
0
l
!