How to secure data on desktop machines Raid array??

herb1

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2006
Hi,

I think I'm chasing my tail with how to lock up data on a desktop's raid array, for the purpose of covering it if the machine was stolen.

Basically I want to prevent the scenario where the array is pulled out of this machine and plugged into another machine, so the data drives can be read.

1 - Products like PGP Whole disk encrypt/Truecrypt work fine on single disks, but do not work on arrays.
2 - Having a domain server so I can use NTFS permissions is not 100%, because you can just take over the permissions with an admin account on another network
3 - Bitlocker on a desktop machine using an onboard TPM appears to be non-existant. The motherboards that have the header for an onboard TPM (eg Asus) have no-one selling the TPM module that plugs into it (used to be made by infineon). However bitlocker does work across an array - I tested this using a mobo with no TPM chip and ran bitlocker off a USB key. The USB version I discount because I would just leave the USB key in the machine = has to have onboard TPM chip.

Has anyone else found a way around these issues?

Thanks,
Herb

herb1

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2006
I checked with becrypt, they were very helpful - but support is not a given. They think it maybe will work for raid5 on ICH*R setups, but are pretty sure it won't with my adaptec cards.

So yeh, basically I'm back in a loop where whole disk encryption over Raid5 doesn't seem possible without it being at the OS level (eg bitlocker), but then I can't use bitlocker cause there are no current mid-high end motherboards that have TPM chips built onto them - or TPM modules availabe for the ones that have headers!

:??: