Solved

Windows 7 or windows 8

can you guys tell me which windows is better? 7 or 8, and also is will programs that work for windows 7 will work for windows 8 too, i heard that windows 8 is much faster and i dont mind having the metro ui, i need to know if all the programs that work on w7 will work on w8 aswell, thanks
29 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about windows windows
  1. windows 8 is a little faster then 7. And I haven't check ALL the programs, so check the programs you want to use if it work with windows 8.
  2. 7
  3. 7? thats your only answer? can u pease tell me why it is better than windows 8?
  4. zcosmin said:
    7? thats your only answer? can u pease tell me why it is better than windows 8?

Hi :)

Because I own Computer shops and have 45 years computer experience.... good enough ?

All the best Brett :)
  5. Brett928S2 said:

Because I own Computer shops and have 45 years computer experience.... good enough ?

no.
  6. I am a Windows XP diehard, but I love Windows 8! I use an mSATA SSD to boot from and it is incredibly fast to boot and runs super smooth. You can use it in regular desktop just like XP, or Vista, or 7 and mostly ignore Metro if you want. That's the tradeoff.......putting up with win 8 Metro (which isn't as bad as I thought it would be) vs Win 7 (older and slower). I really thought I would hate it, and I can see why some people do, but I am happy I chose Windows 8.
  7. I started with win 7 on a SSD and Win 8 on another SSD then I used a hot swap bay to pick my OS. Later I then started running Windows 8 and used Windows 7 inside of the windows 8 hyper-v.

I found that I have just stopped using windows 7 except for my network sniffer that I have on a older laptop. Mainly, I just did not want to be bothered in upgrading the system, it works as a sniffer and kernel debugger when I need it.

Window 8 works for me, my games work, I just don't have any need of windows 7 anymore.
  8. i am going to buy a new computer and the price difference between the two are not a big price difference, i am not going to care about the metro ui, because i can get a mod which adds a start menu exactly like windows 7, all i need to know is that if its stable and the compatibility of windows 8, are all of the software/games that work with windows 7 will 100% work with windows 8, the most informative and helpful answer will get selected as the best answer :3.

Thanks

Thanks
  9. more focus is going to be on windows 8, looking forward it is probably a better investment than windows 7.

compatibility doesnt seem to be an issue with windows 8, all my games worked on it anyway.
  10. neon neophyte said:
    more focus is going to be on windows 8, looking forward it is probably a better investment than windows 7.

compatibility doesnt seem to be an issue with windows 8, all my games worked on it anyway.

Totally disagree... I think 8 wil be DEAD in the water like Vista was ...WITHIN A YEAR.... imho..

I sell both 7 and 8 in my shops.... or rather I should rephrase that...I am STILL selling lots of 7, but NO 8`s...

11. think what you want, ms is focused on windows 8 and they arent letting up on it

fact is theyve already sold over 60 million licenses. it is what ships with a new pc, not windows 7

doesnt matter what you do in your shop
  12. I don't know why everyone is making a big issue.......both is good.....8 is NOT faster than 7.....they are tied......how? Change the boot speed to Windows 7 and it wouldn't make difference of which one is better. Knock It Off!
  13. Brett928S2 said:

Totally disagree... I think 8 wil be DEAD in the water like Vista was ...WITHIN A YEAR.... imho..

I sell both 7 and 8 in my shops.... or rather I should rephrase that...I am STILL selling lots of 7, but NO 8`s...

Lol, this is kinda confusing people saying i should get w7 and people saying i should get w8
  14. Best answer
    Brett928S2 said:

I honestly wish the mods on this forum would ban users who think their word has dogmatic value without providing a single line of objective explanation.
    Stop talking like a person from witchhunting era.

For someone with '45 years experience with computers' you, sadly, sound like someone from Mac vs PC adverts.

@OP: As someone already mentioned, check the program compatibility for the stuff you're using. If it all works, get 8.
  15. Best answer selected by zcosmin.
  16. haha
  17. Soda-88 said:
    I honestly wish the mods on this forum would ban users who think their word has dogmatic value without providing a single line of objective explanation.
    Stop talking like a person from witchhunting era.

For someone with '45 years experience with computers' you, sadly, sound like someone from Mac vs PC adverts.

@OP: As someone already mentioned, check the program compatibility for the stuff you're using. If it all works, get 8.

Lol..I personally have NO preference....

I am a businessman with Computer shops...

I sell anything that will make me a profit.....

I am still selling copies of 7 but not 8.....

And I cannot see that changing until 9/BLUE comes out..

18. brett why no sig link to your shops? free advertizing on the right forum, maybe something to think on, not one in your profile either................
  19. popeyejohnson said:
    brett why no sig link to your shops? free advertizing on the right forum, maybe something to think on, not one in your profile either................

I know...

When I decided to post here, I thought about it, but decided my advice might be tainted by the thought of profit lol...

As I wanted to give totally independent advice, I decided not to advertise either my Computer shops or my Laptop repair company...

That way my advice is only my own and there is no legal comeback on my Companies (even though I am the Managing Director of them)

The Moderators know who I am but nobody else...

20. VaishaliG said:
    Windows 7 is better than windows 8. I also have windows 7 in my laptop.

How is it better ? :)) Lol explain
  21. Windows 8 sucks. Mine was constantly stuttering and i didn't managed to find out why. Went back to windows 7 and its all good again. Win8 will follow the steps of vista sadly, too many incompatibilities
  22. i think you are the first person ive heard complain about windows 8 studdering =P
  23. neon neophyte said:
    i think you are the first person ive heard complain about windows 8 studdering =P

Yeah, and I have never found out what was wrong. All devices were supposedly compatible, and still, from time to time my windows would stutter, crash sound, mouse lag for no reason. tried fresh installs, tried another HDD, allways the same. Went back to windows 7. All good now.
  24. I get no BSOD, at all on Windows 8, and I've had it since the release. Stability seems extremely good, and people complain because they are not open to change. I saw a review on newegg that some put it doesn't have media player, this is wrong, because it does have media player lol. Also people complain about how hard it is to shut it down, all you do is put your mouse pointer to the bottom right of the screen, hit settings, power, shut down, lol. Windows 8 will also be supported now that it has arrived, and keep in mind that SP1 is not even here yet, and it should touch up on the OS.
  25. zcosmin said:
    can you guys tell me which windows is better? 7 or 8, and also is will programs that work for windows 7 will work for windows 8 too, i heard that windows 8 is much faster and i dont mind having the metro ui, i need to know if all the programs that work on w7 will work on w8 aswell, thanks

zcosmin, I am an older gamer, who recently purchased a unit with win 8 on it. I wanted to go back and try some older games I had enjoyed playing in the past. I had trouble to say the least. Now, i dont know what games or programs your concerned about but have you considered refubishing your older unit that did run that software? At this time I dont see much choice out there for anything compatable with the classic gaming era. Im going to put in new "old stuff" into my older computer just to enjoy the good ol days again. Doing this gives me the best of both worlds for now, until some else comes along ...... it always does. good luck in your journey

"Norm"
  26. I have bought windows 8, it has been atleast 2 weeks, and its excellent no problems so far, only some minor game compatibility issues that can be easily fixed and it will eventually get fixed.. It is much faster than windows 8, i have start8 with it and no problems..
  27. I love the Metro screen in Windows 8. I thought I would find it useless and I figured I would end up removing all the out-of-the-box panels, but I find that I really love the way the news and weather seamlessly integrate with the look and feel of Windows 8. And getting to a familiar desktop is as easy as clicking the "Desktop" panel in the Metro / Start Screen.

I just moved to Windows 8 from Windows XP. My old Start Menu in XP was so big and bloated that all the fly-out menus took up most of my screen space, anyway. Finding the programs you want to run in Windows 8 is as easy as pressing the Start button your keyboard, then just start typing the name of the program you want to run. Its icon will instantly appear to the left, making searching through all those Start Menu items a thing of the past. I have not regretted at all going to Windows 8.
  28. Windows 8 is much smoother and faster than 7 all win 7 programs are win 8 compatible so go for it
Ask a new question

Read More

Configuration Windows 7 Windows 8