Computer Crashing?

G

Alright…I'm not computer savy at all, so keep this in mind. Here is my current system specs:

Athlon 1.2MHz processor
ASUS A7V133 motherboard
ELSA Gladiac GeForce 2 GTS video card
Windows ME
256 MB PC133 SDRAM memory

Everything worked fine...no problems running anything.

Then, I decide to buy more memory and I got a stick of 512MB PC133 SDRAM.

I added the 512MB (giving me a total of 768MB) and tried to run ANY computer game...Everquest, Deus Ex, etc. I get the blue screen of death:

Windows
An error has occurred. To continue:
Press Enter to return to Windows…..
Press CTRL+ALT…….you will lose any unsaved information,etc….
File Name: emu10k1f(01) + 0002AB52Error : 0E : 0028 : FF0B8ED2

I switched the sticks around 512 in Slot 1, 256 in Slot 2, etc; and tried again. Same blue screen of death

I have 786MB right now as I type this..so MS Word is working fine. I can surf the internet, download stuff, etc. When I boot up the computer, it says 786MB for memory and if I go to start/settings/control panel/system, it shows 786.0MB RAM. So it SEEMS everything is working?
No problems...EXCEPT when I try and play a GAME?

I took out the 256 stick and left the 512 stick installed and everything RUNS fine. I even put the 512 stick in different slots...no problems.

Any suggestions on how to fix or what should I do to get both sticks working at the same time?

Thanks

Toejam31

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
You may be experiencing a problem due to the fact that with more than 512MB of RAM installed in WinME, the memory addresses for the AGP aperture and for the Windows disk-caching virtual device driver are in conflict.

Please read the posts on this thread:

<A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=31205#31205" target="_new">Too Much Memory</A>

Recommended maximum [vcache] settings:

512MB --- MaxFileCache=131072
768MB --- MaxFileCache=196608
1GB --- MaxFileCache=262144

Toejam31

<font color=red>My Rig:</font color=red> <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=6847" target="_new"><font color=green>Toejam31's Tantalizing Tantric Toy</font color=green></A>

<font color=purple>"Procrastination on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part."</font color=purple>