Idea for macro photos. Good?

Last response: in Digital Camera
June 28, 2005 12:42:15 AM

I tried putting the extension tube from my 55mm macro lens on my regular
80~200mm tele. As far as the viewfinder sees it the idea works. Any
thoughts on using this as a macro setup? It's getting dark out, but I may
give this a try on some flowers tomorrow.

Sheldon

More about : idea macro photos good

Anonymous
June 28, 2005 4:25:39 AM

"Sheldon" <sheldon@XXXXXXXXsopris.net> writes:

> I tried putting the extension tube from my 55mm macro lens on my regular
> 80~200mm tele. As far as the viewfinder sees it the idea works. Any
> thoughts on using this as a macro setup? It's getting dark out, but I may
> give this a try on some flowers tomorrow.

Adding the extension tube will bring the close-focus limit of the zoom
in closer, so in that sense it "works". That tube isn't very long, as
I remember it, so it won't bring the close-focus limit all that *much*
closer. And the complex optics of the 80-200 probably won't stand up
really wonderfully to being forced to focus closer, either. Your 55mm
with the tube will give you greater magnification and probably better
quality, but at shorter working distances.

Or, the simple bottom-line version -- So play with it and see if you
like the results!
June 28, 2005 4:29:44 AM

In article <y86dnRLvN_lgJV3fRVn-rQ@comcast.com>,
Sheldon <sheldon@XXXXXXXXsopris.net> wrote:
>I tried putting the extension tube from my 55mm macro lens on my regular
>80~200mm tele. As far as the viewfinder sees it the idea works. Any
>thoughts on using this as a macro setup? It's getting dark out, but I may
>give this a try on some flowers tomorrow.

Of course it will work. That is simple optics, and a set of
extension tubes will allow you to cover a wider range of close-up
shooting than a single fixed length extension tube.

A bellows would cover an even wider range of focusing distances --
though with a zoom the greater magnifications might move your focus
point to somewhere inside the front elements of the lens. :-)

I lose track of which camera you are putting this on, though the
55mm macro, and the 80-200mm zoom suggest that it might be older Nikon
lenses, which will not work with metering on the camera anyway for a D70
(if that is what you have). The extension tubes would prevent that
anyway, unless you have an extension tube which completes the electric
circuit between a CPU-equipped lens and the camera body.

The remaining question is how sharp will it be? That, you will
have to determine by experimentation. (You'll also have to learn to
adjust exposure for the extension, and I'm not sure how to predict that
for a zoom lens, which is trying to be everything for everybody. :-)

But -- it will cost you nothing but some time to experiment,
unlike the days with film. Just use the histogram to fine-tune your
exposure values.

Enjoy,
DoN.
June 29, 2005 5:37:25 PM

David Dyer-Bennet wrote:

> "Sheldon" <sheldon@XXXXXXXXsopris.net> writes:
>

>>I tried putting the extension tube from my 55mm macro lens on my regular
>>80~200mm tele. As far as the viewfinder sees it the idea works. Any
>>thoughts on using this as a macro setup? It's getting dark out, but I may
>>give this a try on some flowers tomorrow.
>

> Adding the extension tube will bring the close-focus limit of the zoom
> in closer, so in that sense it "works". That tube isn't very long, as
> I remember it, so it won't bring the close-focus limit all that *much*
> closer. And the complex optics of the 80-200 probably won't stand up
> really wonderfully to being forced to focus closer, either. Your 55mm
> with the tube will give you greater magnification and probably better
> quality, but at shorter working distances.
>
> Or, the simple bottom-line version -- So play with it and see if you
> like the results!

One of the benefits of a macro lens is zero distortion and great
sharpness and contrast across the frame. You pay dearly for this, when
the reality is that with such a limited DOF, you don't really see all of
the advantages when shooting bugs, flowers etc.
Marumi make a set of auto extension tubes with the electrical contacts
that work fine with a D70. I guess they cost US$100 or thereabouts.
They are not what I'd call high quality, but do the trick. Just the
smallest one (13mm) is a lot of fun with the kit 18-70 lens zoomed
between about 50 and 70mm.
Anonymous
June 29, 2005 5:37:26 PM

"frederick" <nomail@nomail.com> wrote in message
> David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
>
>> "Sheldon" <sheldon@XXXXXXXXsopris.net> writes:
>>

>>>I tried putting the extension tube from my 55mm macro lens on my regular
>>>80~200mm tele. As far as the viewfinder sees it the idea works. Any
>>>thoughts on using this as a macro setup? It's getting dark out, but I
>>>may give this a try on some flowers tomorrow.
>>

>> Adding the extension tube will bring the close-focus limit of the zoom
>> in closer, so in that sense it "works". That tube isn't very long, as
>> I remember it, so it won't bring the close-focus limit all that *much*
>> closer. And the complex optics of the 80-200 probably won't stand up
>> really wonderfully to being forced to focus closer, either. Your 55mm
>> with the tube will give you greater magnification and probably better
>> quality, but at shorter working distances. Or, the simple bottom-line
>> version -- So play with it and see if you
>> like the results!
>
> One of the benefits of a macro lens is zero distortion and great sharpness
> and contrast across the frame. You pay dearly for this, when the reality
> is that with such a limited DOF, you don't really see all of the
> advantages when shooting bugs, flowers etc.
> Marumi make a set of auto extension tubes with the electrical contacts
> that work fine with a D70. I guess they cost US$100 or thereabouts. They
> are not what I'd call high quality, but do the trick. Just the smallest
> one (13mm) is a lot of fun with the kit 18-70 lens zoomed between about 50
> and 70mm.

Thanks all. I thought it might be an interesting way to get macro photos
without having to get so close to the subject, but I'd hate to sacrifice
quality. Unfortunately, no chance to try my experiment out as I had to work
all day. I'm hoping to get more of my shots, and some experiments on the
web for display.
!