Sign in with
Your question

Upcoming build check and advice.

Last response: in Systems
January 4, 2013 2:06:34 AM

Hey, I'm a first time builder, and I intend on buys my parts within the next week. I've posted here before about this build, but I've changed my mind on a few things since then and extended my budget a bit, so I think I'll post again so you guys can have a look seeing as it's a big spend for me so I want to be on the safe side. This will all be used with a 23" Acer monitor, too.

CPU: Intel i5 3570k
Motherboard: MSI Z77A-G43 Intel Z77 Socket 1155 Ivybridge Ready Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Memory Vengeance Jet Black Low Profile 8GB DDR3 1600 MHz CAS 9 XMP Dual Channel Desktop
Case: NZXT Phantom 410 (black)
GPU: XFX HD7950 Double D AMD/ATI Graphics Card - 3GB
HDD: Seagate 1TB SATA 3 Performance Hard Drive OEM ST1000DM003
PSU: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX550M Modular, 80 PLUS Bronze, 85% Eff', SLI/CrossFire, EPS 12V

I haven't included an after market cooler for the cpu, but it's something I intend on getting later on, once I've had a proper look at overclocking and the likes. I know a lot of this is pretty safe stuff, but I'd just like any feedback possible from you guys, because I'd much rather catch any problems now, before I wage war on my bank account! Also, if you could just take a look at the motherboard and let me know if it's alright/if it's missing anything, that'd be great. Also, just to note, I'm in Ireland and will be buying off Amazon.co.uk and Scan.co.uk

Thanks very much in advance.
January 4, 2013 2:35:22 AM

I've heard bad things about the TX550M - if you get a Corsair you might want to pay a bit more and get the TX650 V2.
January 4, 2013 2:36:05 AM

I will have to change that mobo to an asrock z77 extreme 4. I think MSI had bad rep regarding mobos. And the asrock mobo is recommended especially for OC. Also if you could check some sapphire cards/asus cards instead of the xfx, it would be better.
Related resources
January 4, 2013 3:25:49 AM

My main problem here is obviously price. The only TX650V2 I could find was on Amazon with an estimated dispatch time of 1-2 months, so that's not really something I'd be looking at. Any idea how the TX650M compares?
With regards to the motherboard, how is the Asrock z77 pro 4? It's a bit cheaper than the extreme version. I really hope I can fit the extreme into my budget, but it could be the case of being a few euro short on the day, so I'd like to know my options.
Does the rest of the build look alright?
January 4, 2013 3:33:48 AM

Quote:
My main problem here is obviously price. The only TX650V2 I could find was on Amazon with an estimated dispatch time of 1-2 months, so that's not really something I'd be looking at. Any idea how the TX650M compares?

I'm guessing that the TX650M uses the same OEM that the 550M does. Maybe try a store that's not Amazon. What country are you buying from? If you post that that will help to suggest parts.

Quote:
With regards to the motherboard, how is the Asrock z77 pro 4? It's a bit cheaper than the extreme version. I really hope I can fit the extreme into my budget, but it could be the case of being a few euro short on the day, so I'd like to know my options.

That should be fine.
January 4, 2013 3:38:21 AM

I was really hoping for something modular, though. I've heard the Phantom can be a pain to build in with non-modular PSUs, and I'd like it to look nice.
January 4, 2013 3:46:59 AM

The problem with phantom is that it doesn't have holes at the top for 2nd power of mobo. So it would depend on the length of the cables. But I actually have a phantom and a non-modular managed to build without problems.
January 4, 2013 3:56:15 AM

Thanks, I'm reading through the review at the moment, and I think I'll take your advice and stick with the power supply I have. Just as a side note, the one you linked comes with none of the cables, so it wouldn't be much help. But thank's very much, you've put my mind at rest!
How about the rest of the build? Does it seem okay to you?
January 4, 2013 3:59:57 AM

Yes, it's a good mobo for its price, and the ram is also a good one, hdd the same.

January 4, 2013 10:39:58 AM

Thanks very much guys. So, should I just stick with the build I posted at first, and just put any extra money I have on the day into the motherboard?
January 4, 2013 12:23:12 PM

yes, just change the board.
!