Sign in with
Your question

Can't install amd catalyst on my new build because it won't fit...

Last response: in Systems
January 4, 2013 2:47:22 AM

on my screen. Whenever I start it up, I get this big page that takes up most of my screen. The only option on the page is to select a language. Now I have watched videos that show a "next" button just below the language selection. Unfortunately, for me, the page is so big that it goes off my screen, and it won't let me scroll down to reach the "next" button. Help!
January 4, 2013 2:52:08 AM

What monitor are you running and what is the resolution? Knowing that will help. I've seen this before but I can't remember what the solution is off hand.
m
l
a b À AMD
January 4, 2013 2:54:01 AM

Sounds like your resolution settings are a bit off.

Right click on the desktop, personalize, bottom left will be "display" click on it, Top left there will be "adjust resolution", in there will be the option to change the resolution. Set it to whatever your monitors native resolution, if its somewhat modern it will probably be 1680x1050 or 1920x1080, but you should check.
m
l
Related resources
January 4, 2013 2:56:16 AM

manofchalk said:
Sounds like your resolution settings are a bit off.

Right click on the desktop, personalize, bottom left will be "display" click on it, Top left there will be "adjust resolution", in there will be the option to change the resolution. Set it to whatever your monitors native resolution, if its somewhat modern it will probably be 1680x1050 or 1920x1080, but you should check.

The problem with that is if you can't get into the display control panel then you can't adjust the resolution beyond basic resolutions. You could set it to a basic resolution like 800 x 600 then try installing the GPU drivers again.
m
l
January 4, 2013 2:58:31 AM

yes, try to adjust resolution first.
m
l
January 4, 2013 3:00:13 AM

g-unit1111 said:
What monitor are you running and what is the resolution? Knowing that will help. I've seen this before but I can't remember what the solution is off hand.

My monitor is actually a tv. The brand is Haier and although its normal resolution is 1080p, the resolution I'm getting in windows is 640 x 480, and it does not let me change it.
m
l
January 4, 2013 3:01:22 AM

admbautista said:
yes, try to adjust resolution first.

It does not let me. It only gives me one option: 860 x 480
m
l
January 4, 2013 3:02:40 AM

TheScarecrow97 said:
My monitor is actually a tv. The brand is Haier and although its normal resolution is 1080p, the resolution I'm getting in windows is 640 x 480, and it does not let me change it.

I'd say use the GPU scaling feature but you can't do that unless you have a driver installed. Are you hooked up through HDMI or DVI / VGA? That could make a difference.
m
l
a b À AMD
January 4, 2013 3:03:34 AM

Have you installed the display drivers on the mobo yet?
Given that you have another thread trying to get chipset drivers from AMD's website, im assuming you haven't (and that running off integrated isn't an option).
There should be a display driver in the mobo disc you can use until the computers functional enough to download the latest off the mobo manufacturers website.
m
l
January 4, 2013 3:05:00 AM

g-unit1111 said:
I'd say use the GPU scaling feature but you can't do that unless you have a driver installed. Are you hooked up through HDMI or DVI / VGA? That could make a difference.

HDMI
m
l
January 4, 2013 3:06:41 AM

manofchalk said:
Have you installed the display drivers on the mobo yet?
Given that you have another thread trying to get chipset drivers from AMD's website, im assuming you haven't (and that running off integrated isn't an option).
There should be a display driver in the mobo disc you can use until the computers functional enough to download the latest off the mobo manufacturers website.

Is there any way to install display drivers apart from a disc? I had tremendous trouble installing an optical drive. I tried 2 or 3 different ones, and every sata cable, but couldn't get the bios to recognize it. So I'm installing everything via flash drive.
m
l
January 4, 2013 3:09:21 AM

TheScarecrow97 said:
HDMI

That's weird because normally if you're hooked up through the VGA port on your monitor / TV then that would be a problem. On my HTPC I run a DVI / HDMI cable and that works fine. Do you have another monitor you can use to install?
m
l
January 4, 2013 3:10:44 AM

g-unit1111 said:
That's weird because normally if you're hooked up through the VGA port on your monitor / TV then that would be a problem. On my HTPC I run a DVI / HDMI cable and that works fine. Do you have another monitor you can use to install?

Yes but I believe it is VGA only and with a 720p max resolution. Will that work?
m
l
January 4, 2013 3:11:44 AM

try pressing tab and hopefully, it will highlight the next button then press enter.
m
l
a b À AMD
January 4, 2013 3:14:46 AM

Download the drivers onto the USB from a separate computer, plug it in and run them. You could even copy over the CD drivers onto the USB if finding the drivers online is an issue.
m
l
January 4, 2013 3:16:55 AM

admbautista said:
try pressing tab and hopefully, it will highlight the next button then press enter.

Dude thank you! It worked! Kinda. Half the page is still off the screen, but somehow, when I pressed enter it went forward. So I think it's all good! :) 

Edit: Eh, never mind. Apparently I have to be able to click "next" a lot of times and access other things that are off my screen. : /
m
l
January 4, 2013 3:22:06 AM

manofchalk said:
Download the drivers onto the USB from a separate computer, plug it in and run them. You could even copy over the CD drivers onto the USB if finding the drivers online is an issue.

Yeah, that's exactly what I'm doing
m
l
January 4, 2013 3:31:14 AM

TheScarecrow97 said:
Yes but I believe it is VGA only and with a 720p max resolution. Will that work?

Yeah you can just do that - install the drivers by hooking your PC up to a separate monitor, then when that's done hook your TV back up.
m
l
!