7870ghz or 7950 for price? Intel minor overclock budget build HELP!!

So after spending about 8 hours daily for the past 3 weeks. Ive basically narrowed down what I want as a PC. And after literally EVERY imaginable build. Ive come down to basically what I want. I think this is pretty decent for around my budget.
CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($169.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Pro3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($45.98 @ Outlet PC)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1.5TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($74.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card ($309.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Zalman Z11 Plus ATX Mid Tower Case ($50.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Raidmax 630W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($44.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($16.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow Ultimate Wired Gaming Keyboard ($100.78 @ B&H)
Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Wired Optical Mouse ($44.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1124.64
I could go with this 7950 Vapor-X or with a 7870 Ghz ed. Is the difference really that noticble and will my overclock even do a difference? Should I go AMD for minor overclock?!!?
Or
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-8150 3.6GHz 8-Core Processor ($169.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($104.98 @ NCIX US)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($45.98 @ Outlet PC)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1.5TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($74.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB Video Card ($224.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Zalman Z11 Plus ATX Mid Tower Case ($50.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Raidmax 630W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($44.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($16.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
Keyboard: Razer Lycosa Wired Gaming Keyboard ($69.99 @ NCIX US)
Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Wired Optical Mouse ($44.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1018.84
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-03 23:58 EST-0500)PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-8150 3.6GHz 8-Core Processor ($169.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($104.98 @ NCIX US)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($45.98 @ Outlet PC)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1.5TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($74.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB Video Card ($224.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Zalman Z11 Plus ATX Mid Tower Case ($50.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Raidmax 630W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($44.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($16.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
Keyboard: Razer Lycosa Wired Gaming Keyboard ($69.99 @ NCIX US)
Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Wired Optical Mouse ($44.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1018.84
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-03 23:58 EST-0500)PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks


PLEASE HELP FOR ADVICE. ESPECIALLY MONEY WISE. I know I want to keep the razor products tho :P
I kinda want to make my first build cheaper, Idk if I should go with 7950 oc or 7870 ghz ed!!!
9 answers Last reply
More about 7870ghz 7950 price intel minor overclock budget build help
  1. I'll pick the intel, and go with sapphire 7950 vapor-x. Check out this board, asrock z77 extreme 4.
  2. ditch the raidmax psu go with corsair, antec, seasonic, or other reputable brands.
  3. garrettk4 said:
    ditch the raidmax psu go with corsair, antec, seasonic, or other reputable brands.


    +1 on this one. check this out, http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/permalink/323050/323050/ShowThread.aspx#323050
  4. dumbfounded425 said:
    So after spending about 8 hours daily for the past 3 weeks. Ive basically narrowed down what I want as a PC. And after literally EVERY imaginable build. Ive come down to basically what I want. I think this is pretty decent for around my budget.
    CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($169.99 @ Microcenter)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Pro3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($89.99 @ Amazon)
    Memory: G.Skill Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($45.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1.5TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($74.99 @ NCIX US)
    Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card ($309.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: Zalman Z11 Plus ATX Mid Tower Case ($50.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: Raidmax 630W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($44.99 @ Newegg)
    Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($16.99 @ Newegg)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow Ultimate Wired Gaming Keyboard ($100.78 @ B&H)
    Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Wired Optical Mouse ($44.99 @ Amazon)
    Total: $1124.64
    I could go with this 7950 Vapor-X or with a 7870 Ghz ed. Is the difference really that noticble and will my overclock even do a difference? Should I go AMD for minor overclock?!!?
    Or
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    CPU: AMD FX-8150 3.6GHz 8-Core Processor ($169.99 @ Amazon)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($104.98 @ NCIX US)
    Memory: G.Skill Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($45.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1.5TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($74.99 @ NCIX US)
    Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB Video Card ($224.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: Zalman Z11 Plus ATX Mid Tower Case ($50.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: Raidmax 630W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($44.99 @ Newegg)
    Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($16.99 @ Newegg)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Keyboard: Razer Lycosa Wired Gaming Keyboard ($69.99 @ NCIX US)
    Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Wired Optical Mouse ($44.99 @ Amazon)
    Total: $1018.84
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-03 23:58 EST-0500)PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    CPU: AMD FX-8150 3.6GHz 8-Core Processor ($169.99 @ Amazon)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($104.98 @ NCIX US)
    Memory: G.Skill Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($45.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1.5TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($74.99 @ NCIX US)
    Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB Video Card ($224.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: Zalman Z11 Plus ATX Mid Tower Case ($50.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: Raidmax 630W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($44.99 @ Newegg)
    Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($16.99 @ Newegg)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Keyboard: Razer Lycosa Wired Gaming Keyboard ($69.99 @ NCIX US)
    Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Wired Optical Mouse ($44.99 @ Amazon)
    Total: $1018.84
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-03 23:58 EST-0500)PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks


    PLEASE HELP FOR ADVICE. ESPECIALLY MONEY WISE. I know I want to keep the razor products tho :P
    I kinda want to make my first build cheaper, Idk if I should go with 7950 oc or 7870 ghz ed!!!


    Dude DEFINITELY go with the 7950 Vapor-X its insanely quiet and has AMAZING ocing ability.

    and the CPU you listed in Microcenter is ONLY available with in-store pickup only.

    Also you put 2 links for the middle amd build, but not one for the intel, so i recreated the online one here with my improvements except for the case, which is your **preference (see below) http://pcpartpicker.com/p/vO7A. Except for the CPU Keyboard @ B&H which i couldnt find on the partpicker website so i made it at amazon.

    That PSU is disgusting, 24% failure rate, and bad customer service, and most of the ones that did fail either blew and sparked, or trashed their entire system. I put one by Rosewill because Ive noticed that they have considerably better reliability for about 10$ more and better customer service.

    **Personally for the case i would prefer the Rosewill Challenger U3, has GREAT airflow, cheaper (rebates don't last forever, and the rebate goes only to their products) and quite nice looking too.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147060&Tpk=Rosewill%20CHALLENGER-U3%20Black%20Gaming%20ATX%20Mid%20Tower

    Overall i made your system have WAY better reliability.
  5. Technoflicks said:
    Dude DEFINITELY go with the 7950 Vapor-X its insanely quiet and has AMAZING ocing ability.

    and the CPU you listed in Microcenter is ONLY available with in-store pickup only.

    Also you put 2 links for the middle amd build, but not one for the intel, so i recreated the online one here with my improvements except for the case, which is your **preference (see below) http://pcpartpicker.com/p/vO7A. Except for the CPU Keyboard @ B&H which i couldnt find on the partpicker website so i made it at amazon.

    That PSU is disgusting, 24% failure rate, and bad customer service, and most of the ones that did fail either blew and sparked, or trashed their entire system. I put one by Rosewill because Ive noticed that they have considerably better reliability for about 10$ more and better customer service.

    **Personally for the case i would prefer the Rosewill Challenger U3, has GREAT airflow, cheaper (rebates don't last forever, and the rebate goes only to their products) and quite nice looking too.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147060&Tpk=Rosewill%20CHALLENGER-U3%20Black%20Gaming%20ATX%20Mid%20Tower

    Overall i made your system have WAY better reliability.

    OK so I switched my PSU to corsair, do you think my 7950 will fit and overclock well with that small case? Ill probably get two more 120 fans
  6. Definitely the 7950, I had the same choice about a month ago and I couldn't be happier. I chose the XFX model as it came with a lifetime warranty but the Sapphire should be good as well.

    There are some other changes I would recommend:

    Look for a quality PSU, maybe a Corsair or XFX
    Get a better motherboard such as the Extreme4
    Grab an SSD

    The first build is my favorite though
    Good Luck!
  7. mastrom101 said:
    Definitely the 7950, I had the same choice about a month ago and I couldn't be happier. I chose the XFX model as it came with a lifetime warranty but the Sapphire should be good as well.

    There are some other changes I would recommend:

    Look for a quality PSU, maybe a Corsair or XFX
    Get a better motherboard such as the Extreme4
    Grab an SSD

    The first build is my favorite though
    Good Luck!


    Yeah i changed PSU and gave him a link.
  8. dumbfounded425 said:
    OK so I switched my PSU to corsair, do you think my 7950 will fit and overclock well with that small case? Ill probably get two more 120 fans


    Yes, yes, and yes. Just a thought, but i think if you have a case make all the fans face inward except for the one at the very back so you have double the airflow rate. Also, wheres the part picker link for the updated version, i just want to make sure its all good.
  9. i would do something like this to get a ssd. its well worth saving money on a case and putting it toward a ssd.

    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($204.99 @ Newegg)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Pro3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($89.99 @ Amazon)
    Memory: Mushkin Blackline 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($35.57 @ NCIX US)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($64.99 @ NCIX US)
    Storage: Samsung 840 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($89.99 @ Adorama)
    Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card ($309.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: BitFenix Merc Alpha (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ NCIX US)
    Power Supply: Rosewill Green 630W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($59.99 @ Newegg)
    Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($16.99 @ Newegg)
    Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224BB DVD/CD Writer ($15.99 @ Newegg)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow Ultimate Wired Gaming Keyboard ($100.78 @ B&H)
    Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Wired Optical Mouse ($44.99 @ Amazon)
    Total: $1194.21
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-05 00:11 EST-0500)
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems Product