Sign in with
Your question

Bluescreen / Display Driver has stopped responding and has recovered

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 20, 2012 6:39:45 AM

Well basically as per the topic title this message occasionally appears. I cannot play games for more than 20-30 minutes without the system bluescreening (I have links to the memory dumps if required) I am certain the card is not overheating because the errors occur on the desktop also, but rather sporadically.

All drivers have been swept using utility programs such as driver sweeper and re-installed but the error still occurs. I have ran memory tests which showed no errors in the RAM, I am at a loss of what to do, can anyone help?

I am running
Windows 7 64Bit
ASUS 7970 3GB DDR5
8GB 1600 G.Skill Ares RAM
GIGABYTE Z77 UD3H MoBo
Intel i5-3570k Processor
The operating system & Display drivers are installed on a samsung 128 GB SSD

The crashing occurs basically every ten minutes into games like DotA2, LA Noire, Chivalry Medieval Warfare but does not crash in less strenous games such as Leage of Legends

NB - I took the card back to the supplier and they tested it as not faulty, but i am not sure their tests were conclusive as this error definitely should not have occurred on a fresh install and from Windows Debug it appears the drivers are causing the issue, even though the drivers are up to date (as previously mentioned)
November 20, 2012 12:55:10 PM

contrasted said:
Well basically as per the topic title this message occasionally appears. I cannot play games for more than 20-30 minutes without the system bluescreening (I have links to the memory dumps if required) I am certain the card is not overheating because the errors occur on the desktop also, but rather sporadically.

All drivers have been swept using utility programs such as driver sweeper and re-installed but the error still occurs. I have ran memory tests which showed no errors in the RAM, I am at a loss of what to do, can anyone help?

I am running
Windows 7 64Bit
ASUS 7970 3GB DDR5
8GB 1600 G.Skill Ares RAM
GIGABYTE Z77 UD3H MoBo
Intel i5-3570k Processor
The operating system & Display drivers are installed on a samsung 128 GB SSD

The crashing occurs basically every ten minutes into games like DotA2, LA Noire, Chivalry Medieval Warfare but does not crash in less strenous games such as Leage of Legends

NB - I took the card back to the supplier and they tested it as not faulty, but i am not sure their tests were conclusive as this error definitely should not have occurred on a fresh install and from Windows Debug it appears the drivers are causing the issue, even though the drivers are up to date (as previously mentioned)

1. Sign in as administrator (If you are not administrator you may be blocked)
Close all the applications that are being used...save and close your files...
Turn Off the antivirus and firewall, turn off the functions of windows defender.
If you have multiple security programs installed, they must be turned ALL off. Security will prevent your driver from installing...
Download the latest CCC driver package, and save it to an easy location. Make sure this is the correct driver for your card.
Delete all the current AMD video software and drivers, restart the system (the video will look screwy, don't worry)
Now load install all the newest CCC drivers and restart the system (the driver will not work (yet) as you said, but load it anyway)
left click start
left click computer
right click C drive
Left click Open
Right click Users
Left click properties
"Check" mark the box that says: Attributes: "Hidden" (there is now a check-mark in the "Hidden" box)
Click: "Apply"
Now the system will apply the hidden attributes...and this will take a while, or maybe a long while. Let this proceed, and don't interrupt it...
During this procedure, a message may inform you that you do not have administrator privilege to the file you are trying to change the attributes of. That's OK. Just click: "ignore all."
When this procedure is finished, click OK (the box will close after you click OK)
Now you will once again be looking at folders in C drive (don’t close the C drive window or you may regret it)
(once again) right click Users
(once again) left click properties
UN- check the box that says: Attributes "Hidden" (you will now take the check mark OUT, Hidden is no longer checked)
Click Apply
Now the computer will UN-apply the hidden attributes, and it may take a while, or a long while...but let it proceed, and finish, don't interrupt it.
During this procedure, a message may inform you that you are not the administrator of the file that you are trying to change the attributes of. That's OK, just click: "ignore all."
When this is completed click OK
Now close all windows and restart the computer
turn all the security back on.
At this point, the CCC should be functional.

2. One thing is to make sure that the priority of the game is highest; there maybe other processes running that have priority over the game.
Including for instance security programs and antivirus. The latest of which have gaming modes.
If there is not a gaming mode on the security try turning it OFF. Now test it with the security turned off. Multiple mismatched security programs can cause conflicts.
“Free” security downloaded from the internet can cause lots of problems…

Another good thing is to eliminate as many unused / junk / UN-needed applications.
Try to get rid of resource hog, un needed / unnecessary applications.
turn off the screen saver
Go into the power profiles,
set standby, hibernate and sleep to OFF
leave the monitor standby ON, that's OK (maybe not, try OFF)
Set the Hard Drive standby to NEVER
Set system Performance to MAXIMUM, not "quiet mode."

Open the bios set up and make sure "cool and quiet" is OFF. (AMD)
There may be a performance setting in the bios setup you have...make sure it's cranked up to max.
in the bios, see that the allocation for video, if available, is maxed.

Now open the hardware manager profiles...
click start
click computer
click system properties
click device manager
double click on mice and other pointing devices
right click on HID compliant mouse
left click on properties
click on the power management tab
UN-check the box that says: "allow the computer to turn off this device to save power." (there is now NO check mark in this box)
click OK

Now repeat this procedure for all mice, monitors, keyboards, and ALL USB ports on the device manager list.

You must open ALL the devices one at a time, as above, and turn off the power saver, for each device.
m
l
November 20, 2012 1:24:00 PM

Thanks, ill try doing all this stuff tomorrow and see if it has any effect!
m
l
Related resources
November 20, 2012 2:01:04 PM

contrasted said:
Thanks, ill try doing all this stuff tomorrow and see if it has any effect!

You should have never loaded "driver sweeper" into your system.
Never load third party free stuff that says it will "clean, sweep, fix problems, etc..."
The windows disk is all you need to make the system run right.
Use a professional, all in one antivirus, not a free one from the internet.

Every time you load some "free" gimmick into your computer, you are chancing corrupting it.
You can never expect your system to run correctly, if you have loaded this "free" stuff into your system.
Just because somebody on internet tells you it's OK, does not mean it is.

If you "have already" downloaded free gimmicks, tools, utilities, security, etc...
(like "driver sweeper")
you are better off deleting all of it, backup your personal files to thumb drive,
try a "upgrade repair" of the OS, if that fails,
then reformat the entire drive, and reload the operating system.

Erasing the OS, and reformatting, reinstalling the operating system, is the only
sure way to eliminate all the "junk" on the hard drive. And, to be sure that some
part of the OS is not corrupted by "free" software.
"upgrade" repair does not erase the personal files or programs, but reloads the operating system, and rechecks your hardware configuration.
If you installed major hardware, such as video card, memory sticks, etc...you might be better off running the upgrade repair, to be sure that the new hardware is configured correctly.

"upgrade" repair of OS:

Back up your personal files to a thumb drive, etc...
turn off the antivirus and firewall. Turn off all security programs.
open the bios and set the DVD drive to boot first
insert the win install disk and start the machine
select: upgrade
this reloads the OS without erasing your programs and personal files.
This sets everything back to default setting...
this configures any new hardware you have added...etc...
Very often, this will correct a great number of assorted problems, and cause the machine to work correctly.
m
l
November 20, 2012 2:15:12 PM

While I didn't read all of what sound wrote.

AMD does tend to have issues with drivers now and again. It just recently happened to me. .

While the updated drivers that just came out seem to fix this, you can always try and go back a couple drivers it's what I had to do before this new drivers came out. Sometimes the newest drivers aren't all they're cracked up to be.
m
l
November 20, 2012 2:17:49 PM

yes we have had a couple problems with amd drivers for sure
m
l
November 22, 2012 7:04:18 AM

hey thanks for the help so far, I checked all the BIOS configuration, yet to reload the drivers (been so busy, thanks for the patience) but I checked the BIOS version and it is F8 and the latest version is F18 (as shown here http://www.gigabyte.com.au/products/product-page.aspx?p...) should I go ahead and update this, and how do I do so?

Thankyou, Contrasted
m
l
!