Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Which graphics card for 3 screen eyefinity?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
November 20, 2012 7:43:11 AM

I am not sure which card for eyefinity with a resolution of 5760x1080p.
Either the Sapphire HD 7970 6GB Vapour X for around $600 or 2x Sapphire HD 7970 OC Edition for around $400 each.
I was looking at the Sapphire HD 7970 6GB Vapour X mainly because I thought rather than crossfiring 2x3GB cards to use eyefinity with a resolution of 5760x1080p, I thought it would be cheaper in the long run and get 6GB now and save $200 bucks.
What are your thoughts on this? Which will perform better at 5760x1080p? I am looking a these specific cards to play BF3 multiplayer on this resolution.
Any help would be appreciated,
Tom
a c 85 U Graphics card
November 20, 2012 8:03:01 AM

Oh god, go with the two cards. The vapor x is nice due to the fact that you can overclock it more, but it doesn't have the oomph to do full eyefinity. Two of them would, though.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
November 20, 2012 8:17:11 AM

I have 2 7950s with 3-screen Eyefinity and they do a fantastic job. Metro 2033 and BF3 maxed, absolutely no problem. So 2 7970s will be pure kickass, forget about the Vapor X Toxic card.
m
0
l
Related resources
November 20, 2012 9:25:36 AM

Even if the Vapour X will save me money? I mean, could I get an acceptable level of gameplay on the 5760x1080p with the 6GB?
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
November 20, 2012 2:21:21 PM

The Vapour X card gives you more ram but you would have substantially less power. The 3 gigs of ram on the standard 7970 cards is enough for EyeFinity Resolutions (for the time being). Having the power of 2x 7970's will give you a much better EyeFinity experience than having 1x 7970 with more ram.
m
0
l
November 20, 2012 9:24:53 PM

AdioKIP said:
The Vapour X card gives you more ram but you would have substantially less power. The 3 gigs of ram on the standard 7970 cards is enough for EyeFinity Resolutions (for the time being). Having the power of 2x 7970's will give you a much better EyeFinity experience than having 1x 7970 with more ram.


So are you saying that a 3GB card will do just as well as a 6GB card?
If so, would the one 3GB card let me play multiplayer on BF3 on an a resolution of 5760x1080p?
Thank you for your help,
Tom
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
November 21, 2012 9:58:35 AM

Teacake96 said:
So are you saying that a 3GB card will do just as well as a 6GB card?
If so, would the one 3GB card let me play multiplayer on BF3 on an a resolution of 5760x1080p?
Thank you for your help,
Tom

It's been proven plenty of times that most of the time, more RAM will not give better framerates.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/toxic-hd-7970-eyefinity-6...

2 7970s with "only" 3GB of RAM will definitely be better, even at 3x1080p resolution.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
November 21, 2012 1:08:12 PM

I think you are confusing Ram for actual power the card has. A 7970 with 6 gigs of ram Vs a 7970 with 3 gigs of Ram, in most situations will run identically. There are very few games that will go above 3 gigs of ram useage right now.

The other option you gave of getting 2 7970's, you need to realize when doing this and running crossfire, they DO NOT double the amount of ram you have but they do add more power (not quite double since they dont scale that well but still a power gain of more than 50% in most cases). For running games at high resolution yes Ram is important but only up to a certain point. What you really need though is raw power and having 2 cards gives you a lot more power than a single card even if it has more ram.
m
0
l
November 22, 2012 5:54:54 AM

rene13cross said:
It's been proven plenty of times that most of the time, more RAM will not give better framerates.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/toxic-hd-7970-eyefinity-6...

2 7970s with "only" 3GB of RAM will definitely be better, even at 3x1080p resolution.


Ah, right! My question is though, how would a single 3GB 7970 perform at 5760x1080p?
m
0
l
November 23, 2012 8:07:01 PM

AdioKIP said:
I think you are confusing Ram for actual power the card has. A 7970 with 6 gigs of ram Vs a 7970 with 3 gigs of Ram, in most situations will run identically. There are very few games that will go above 3 gigs of ram useage right now.

The other option you gave of getting 2 7970's, you need to realize when doing this and running crossfire, they DO NOT double the amount of ram you have but they do add more power (not quite double since they dont scale that well but still a power gain of more than 50% in most cases). For running games at high resolution yes Ram is important but only up to a certain point. What you really need though is raw power and having 2 cards gives you a lot more power than a single card even if it has more ram.

So two 7970 3GB cards would run BF3 multiplayer at 5760x1080p better than one 6GB 7970? How well would a single 7970 3GB perform at this resolution on BF3 multiplayer?
Cheers,
Tom
m
0
l
!