Low FPS on AC II with EVGA GTX 670 vanilla edition(no sLi)

Status
Not open for further replies.

engrahbill

Honorable
Nov 20, 2012
Hello,
So i bought a new system with specifications as follows
intel core i7 3770k 3.5 ghz
kingston 16gb RAM
EVGA GTX 670 Vanilla edition
corsair 800 GS
I recently installed 2009 Assassins creed II and cranked everything to max, even turned on VSYNC and multisampling to 8X.For a graphics card for which i paid 450$.GTX 670 was really struggling maintaining 60fps on 4 year old game.Its a huge disappointment because i wasnt expecting that performance for a high end card.what is the problem?is my system lower end or game isnt optimized for my GPU?.Please help.I am gaming on full HD 1920*1080p on a single samsung monitor......... There goes my $450 :,(

paddys09

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2011
Well I wouldnt say $450 wasted, I'm sure you didnt buy it just to play AC2...

...Have you updated the game as your card is latest gen it may not be optimized for more recent hardware....Also are your Graphics card drivers up to date?

Apart from that are you getting normal fps in other games?

engrahbill

Honorable
Nov 20, 2012

The driver version is 301.25.Well friend honestly i didnt try to install any other game after a mess with frame rate drops on ACII.Would updating my drivers increase FPS in ACII?My game is up to date.When i turn off VSYNC and MultiSampling story changes,game gives solid 60FPS but when cranked to highest it drops to over 30 fps(heart breaking).Might that be the problem?Would i be able to hit 60 FPS on Skyrim and Witcher 2 with that card which is currently struggling with a 2009 game? pls answer :(

engrahbill

Honorable
Nov 20, 2012

is 301.25 a latest driver? it isnt showing an update.Is vanilla edition that crappy??seriously friend you are freaking me out.I thought i wouldnt get that much FPS boost in choosing vanilla over OC editions.Should i dispose vanilla and go for OC version???

It's about 10% to 15% slower then a non reference card i wouldn't say it's crap just not great if you can return it yes i would and get the Asus 670 Top http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/GeForce_GTX_670_Direct_Cu_II/

paddys09

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2011

Latest official driver is 306.97, I suggest you start by installing that, If that fails try going to your game profile in the Nvidia control panel and enabling adaptive Vsync...I find it strange that you are getting a solid 60fps with vsync off but maybe its capped or something, how does it go with vsync off and multi sampling on?

Myself I wouldnt worry too much about having a reference card, providing you've got good case airflow you should be able to reach factory overclock speeds without any issues, EVGA use good components..

If you can try running some other games or benchmarks when you get the latest drivers just to be sure, The AC series are a bit funny, its one of the few games I consider to be more playable on a console, they never have been a perfectly stable port..

bigbasedrum

Honorable
Mar 23, 2012
lol dude! You're issue is the vsync! Turn it off and you should see massive increases in FPS, but you may experience screen tearing. The fact that you're only seeing 60 FPS shows the everything is WORKING AS IT SHOULD!

engrahbill

Honorable
Nov 20, 2012

Dude when VSYNC is off screen tearing becomes the main issue.Even when i set multisampling to 4X, game drops to 30 fps but maintains 60 fps when both VSYNC and MULTISAMPLING are turned off.Overclocking is something i dont have any experience of.Would i be able to overclock my reference card if i change my mind? My case is Cooler Master HAF 912 Mid-tower casing with corsair 800 GS...currently installing 306.97

engrahbill

Honorable
Nov 20, 2012

Dude... didnt pay $450 for a mid performance.I assumed that even with demanding Ubersampling and VSYNC cranked up i would be able to hit solid 60 FPS.Now i know vanilla edition got me screwed :'(

engrahbill

Honorable
Nov 20, 2012

Dude the page shows to driver updates i.e 306.97 whql and 310.61.Which one should i download?????

bigbasedrum

Honorable
Mar 23, 2012
The VSYNC caps you're FPS at 60 and you will see slight drops from time to time. The other thing that's killing your FPS is your high multisampling rate. Nvidia has a smaller bandwidth connection (184 bit compared to 256 bit, not sure about those numbers though but u get the idea). Thus, your high sampling rate is saturating the badwidth. Turn it down and you should see massive increases.

Status
Not open for further replies.