Still get pops and clicks with Audigy :(

Last response: in Components
January 2, 2002 10:53:52 PM

I upgraded to the Audigy with the hope that the pops and clicks that
haunted me with the Live! would go away. They haven't! It is not as
bad and what used to sound like a almost continous screaching now only
makes pops and clicks.

My hardware set-up is slighly exotic but I would still expect that the
problem would have been completely fixed after such a long time.
Especailly when they had that massive banner add saying get the Audigy
to get rid of this problem.

Relevent system specs:
MSI 6167 (AMD 750 chipset)
Windows 2000 Pro (in ACPI mode, no I don't want to switch it off, I
like hibernation)
Promise FastTrak66 EIDE RAID controller
AGP Radeon
PCI nVidia TNT.

Full specs:
http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=1686

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication."
— Leonardo DaVinci

More about : pops clicks audigy

January 2, 2002 11:02:54 PM

How do you expect to get good sound when the Audigy is a bandwidth hog and you're forcing it to share with the TNT PCI! Removing that card might fix your problem.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor
January 2, 2002 11:46:05 PM

Still had problmes before the TNT when ever there was much disk activity. Just tried an old ISA SB AWE 64. Still get probs

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication."
— Leonardo DaVinci
Related resources
January 3, 2002 6:13:26 AM

Is it possible that the Promise controller is giving you greif? Can you try you system out with the Audigy installed and without the Promise controller? Also, are the drives on the Promise controller card using DMA?

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Novakain on 01/03/02 03:16 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
Anonymous
January 7, 2002 3:09:31 AM

I have an Audigy with a Promise Ultra 100 (8 IDE devices total) and have not heard the pops and clicks. I do have a few recommendations:

1. Make sure the soundblaster has its OWN irq. You can have it share the Firewire irq, but NOT the basic windows sound IRQ.

Creative labs recommends the audigy has 3 of its own irq's, impossible. Check your motherboard manufacturer and make sure that it is not in a slot that is hardwired to share an irq with an onboard device. (Ex. ABIT BH6, APG shares with PCI slot 1, and Onboard USB shares with Slot 4 AND Slot 5.)

Chris B
Webtronix PC
January 7, 2002 11:14:52 AM

He's running Win2000!! How do you expect him to have separate IRQs? By default, in Win2000, all devices share a single IRQ. IRQs are not the problem.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor
!