Hilo1222

Honorable
Nov 19, 2012
So, days earlier i was looking at the EVGA Gtx 670 FTW+ 4GB edition, I had seen it on both EVGA and Newegg about a week ago. Now it has mysteriously vanished from EVGA. o_O I now have no idea whether I should buy it do to the fact that the manufacturer doesn't even seem to have it. If you would like to suggest any other cards in the same price range that would be very helpful.

Hilo1222

Honorable
Nov 19, 2012
The 670 FTW+ is about the same clock as the 680, and with a quick bios flash it is basically a 680, it uses the same PCB and cooling system, this also has 4GB of vram, compared to the three of the HD 7970, but this build won't be completed until next year anyway, so I still have much time to decide.

There is danger of overclocking. Overclocking requires a case with superb air flow. Overclocking requires expensive MOBOs.

That is why he should get GTX 670. It overclocks itself with boost it doesn't do any harm, it doesn't require any superb airflow or any expensive overclocking MOBO.

samuelspark

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011

Lol what? GPU overclocking is based on the card itself not the motherboard. You don't need excellent airflow. one intake and one outtake is more than enough. You're blinded with a common misconception. Go look it up.

Hilo1222

Honorable
Nov 19, 2012

Sam thank you for your input, but we aren't trying to have a debate of airflow's effects on a GPU. I'm kinda trying to figure out the dilemma of EVGA removing an awesome product from their site.
P.S. The comment on airflow wasn't my opinion that was lostgamer. I know that while airflow can be important it isn't by far the most important concept in building a computer. But again thanks both of you for your input on the situation. :)

samuelspark

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011

I don' think you understand the 670 is not the same as the 680. Some CUDA cores are disabled and you can't renable them .

So you are saying that a 75 MOBO can overclock? Because it can't, it will hurt the morherboard if you even try. And you do need a great airflow, if you overclock then the temperature will rise even higher and will affect other components. I also forgot to mention that overclocking requires waaaaay more watt, by overclocking a Card to it's limit you can get it to use twice the watt as if it wasn't overclocked.

EVGA is a great brand, GTX 670 is a great Card and I would suggest you got with reference design cooling, so no hot air will get in your case.

Here is the answer: If you're dependent that you got the right MOBO, you got the right PSU , you got the right case and are 100% sure of overclocking then go for 7970.
If not, then go for the GTX 670, it has pretty much same performance as 7970. The performance of the Cards vary in different games. You should also consider that GTX 670 got physx,FXAA and TXAA which 7970 don't.

samuelspark

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011

I just said it's not dependent on the motherboard. You don't need great airflow (1+1). You can just have a decent cooler. It does take more power but it's not going to take double the power. PhysX can be put on the CPU. AMD has their own version of AA.

You have obviously never overclocked before and have a great fear of doing so.

Hilo1222

Honorable
Nov 19, 2012
This is like pulling teeth, we have gotten far off topic, and Sam, I understand that the 670 is not a 680, the model I'm getting is just very similar. I have overclocked and understand the ramifications of doing it, but this is not the question. :(

It's like talking to a wall.

The MOBO does matter, because some MOBOS has limits, cheaper ones in particular.

The power consumption can be doubled, because if you really OC to the max you have to tweak with the voltage which will increase GPU temperature which will further increase and the power consumption with it. I've done it myself.

You can never get full physx on a CPU.

Great that AMD has some AA, but it does not matter, because I talk about FXAA and TXAA.

Hilo1222, just go with whatever you feel like, there are pros and cons with both GPUs. Go read some reviews and comparisons, because this has no ending, we both seem to have a colored opinion about the two brands. Both Cards are great deals, but if ou wanna go AMD then wait to Q1 of 2013, AMD will be launching the 8000 series. :)

samuelspark

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011

No you're confused? I've taken IT classes before. I know what I'm talking about. The only limitation is the chipset. I really doubt you've tested the power consumption yourself.
Power Consumption (nowhere near double)
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2012/01/25/asus_radeon_hd_7970_video_card_review/8

AMD's Adaptive AA
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/skyrim-performance-benchmark,3074-2.html

And I put medium PhysX on the CPU in BL2. I can run it on high if you want. Would you like that?

No, if you don't know what you're talking about, get out of these forums, and come back later when you've learned something.

Hilo1222

Honorable
Nov 19, 2012
I mean, I'm putting 16 gb's in an MC (Tekkit Mod) server, 8GB to Adobe apps, and 8GB to gaming, maybe that's too much but I do heavy After Effects, as well as Photoshop and occasional Blender sessions.

michaelmk86

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2008

no danger what so ever, I have a HD7950 OC to 1200MHz from 800MHz and it performer faster than the HD7970 GHz edition.