I want to know the diffrence between hdmi and display port

Status
Not open for further replies.
Solution

Lol sorry man. But incorrect. HP has even been one of the biggest pushers of displayport. It is far from being only an Apple thing.

Display port supports much larger resolutions then HDMI does and will most likely be the connection of the future for pc's. Displayport has no DRM controls (like hdmi) and allows for more bandwidth. But honestly right now? It really doesn't matter your not going to see a difference between the two in gaming at 1080.

But like ram said. It's a lengthy technical explanation if you want to know all the real differences. Google and wiki are your best...

unoriginal1

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2012

Lol sorry man. But incorrect. HP has even been one of the biggest pushers of displayport. It is far from being only an Apple thing.

Display port supports much larger resolutions then HDMI does and will most likely be the connection of the future for pc's. Displayport has no DRM controls (like hdmi) and allows for more bandwidth. But honestly right now? It really doesn't matter your not going to see a difference between the two in gaming at 1080.

But like ram said. It's a lengthy technical explanation if you want to know all the real differences. Google and wiki are your best friends on this one. Read up ;).

Solution

unoriginal1

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2012

True. But don't confuse speed with what it supports ;). Personally.. I would suggest HDMI only because it's more common and cheaper. Most monitors Ive seen (unless you already have one) that support Display port are rather expensive.

But back to the point. Hdmi max's out at 10.28 gb/s DP 17.28 gb/s.
Now lets see what stuff actually uses... So im going to use Vudu as an example (similar to netflix) Per Wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-definition_video It's total bit rate/bandwidth at (max supported res) 1,920×1,080 is only 4.5Mbits/s.

Now... I'm no expert.. I'm sure there are more qualified video gurus on these forums. But from my understanding you won't get anywhere close to maxing out hdmi with these resolutions unless you had tons of screens or a crazy high res. At which point your much more likely to max out your machines hardware capabilities way way before reach the limits of what hdmi can support. Maybe in 2025 when were all gaming on crazy resolutions will this become a true factor.

Still like to hear what some of the video experts have to say about it thou. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.