Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question
Solved

Max Performance Gaming PC

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Gaming
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
January 4, 2013 9:13:58 AM

Hi there, I'm currently building a new full spec'd gaming computer to use for entertainment on a 200HZ 60" Samsung TV (Gaming) and also use for university/last year of highschool. I'm wondering if this hardware suits each other, if each piece of equipment is compatible with each other, I don't want to downgrade my equipment in terms of performance at all, especially the graphics card.

Thoughts?

Processor: i7-3770k
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V-Deluxe
Hard Drive" 3.5" Varracuda 3Tb ST3000DM001 SATA3 + 3.5" Western Digital 500GB 7200RPM SATA2 + 2.5" Western Digital 320 GB 7200RPM SATA2 X3 + Corsair Force Series GS 128GB SSD
Optical Drive: LG Blu-Ray SATA Writer X10
Memory: G-Skill trident 2400MHZ 32GB
Power Supply: Antec HCG 900
Graphics Card: Asus 7970 Matrix
Case: NZXT Phantom Black
CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Plus (For overclocking to 4.5GHZ+)
Additional Fans: NZXT 200mm TOP Fan

Thanks very much! :ange: 

More about : max performance gaming

January 4, 2013 9:19:46 AM

I believe the P8Z77-V only supports a maximum of 16GB of G-Skill RAM at 2400MHz (going off the manual here)
m
0
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
January 4, 2013 9:41:41 AM

ddavij said:
Hi there, I'm currently building a new full spec'd gaming computer to use for entertainment on a 200HZ 60" Samsung TV (Gaming) and also use for university/last year of highschool. I'm wondering if this hardware suits each other, if each piece of equipment is compatible with each other, I don't want to downgrade my equipment in terms of performance at all, especially the graphics card.

Thoughts?

Processor: i7-3770k
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V-Deluxe
Hard Drive" 3.5" Varracuda 3Tb ST3000DM001 SATA3 + 3.5" Western Digital 500GB 7200RPM SATA2 + 2.5" Western Digital 320 GB 7200RPM SATA2 X3 + Corsair Force Series GS 128GB SSD
Optical Drive: LG Blu-Ray SATA Writer X10
Memory: G-Skill trident 2400MHZ 32GB
Power Supply: Antec HCG 900
Graphics Card: Asus 7970 Matrix
Case: NZXT Phantom Black
CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Plus (For overclocking to 4.5GHZ+)
Additional Fans: NZXT 200mm TOP Fan

Thanks very much! :ange: 

This isn't a build I'd recommend.

The i7 is unnecessary for gaming.

The mobo is way too expensive.

The HDD configuration is weird to say the least.

Do you really need blu-ray? Optical storage has been phasing out for years now IMO, I use a disc like once or twice a year nowadays :lol: 

2400 MHz RAM isn't worth it. 32 GB RAM isn't worth it either. For gaming you'll do great with 8 GB, 16 GB if you want to overkill. 1600 MHz is fine, no discernible difference with faster speeds TBH.

System has no need for a 900W PSU. 500W would more than suffice.

The GPU is also very expensive for a 7970.

Overall it seems you just blindly picked the most expensive components. That's not how you build a great system.
m
0
l
January 4, 2013 9:51:36 AM

FinneousPJ said:
This isn't a build I'd recommend.

The i7 is unnecessary for gaming.

The mobo is way too expensive.

The HDD configuration is weird to say the least.

Do you really need blu-ray? Optical storage has been phasing out for years now IMO, I use a disc like once or twice a year nowadays :lol: 

2400 MHz RAM isn't worth it. 32 GB RAM isn't worth it either. For gaming you'll do great with 8 GB, 16 GB if you want to overkill. 1600 MHz is fine, no discernible difference with faster speeds TBH.

System has no need for a 900W PSU. 500W would more than suffice.

The GPU is also very expensive for a 7970.

Overall it seems you just blindly picked the most expensive components. That's not how you build a great system.


I totally understand where you're coming from, I can justify my reasoning of picking such components;

I picked an i7 due to the reason that I'm an extreme multi-tasker, and I'm sometimes max out my brothers i5 during gaming too, it's a 2500k and it sometimes hits as high at 80%, seeing this, I would imagine that it's bottlenecking the GPU yeah?

I picked an expensive motherboard due to the fact that in my previous computer, I spent only $150 on it, and since the third year of usage, it would sometimes refuse to over clock my CPU, would blue screen and was overly inconsistent.

I'm buying a brand new SATA3 3TB Hard Drive + the SSD to run under 6GB/s, the rest of the hard drives are just old hard drives from my old PC that will run in 3GB/s.

I choose Blu-Ray writer due to the reason I regularly burn movies on a Blu-Ray disc and watch them on my TV.

I kind of don't know why I choose to go 32GB, I think that probably is overkill to the extreme, I think I'll go to 16GB now then! Haha.

Oh I choose the greater wattage PSU due to the reason that I will be linking up 2 7970, that's sufficient yeah?

I also choose that 7970 due to it's great cooling/overclocking/reliable?

Tbh I only build a PC every 10 years, I need a PC that will last me 10 years, what you think? Sorry for my 'noob'iness.
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
January 4, 2013 10:01:42 AM

ddavij said:
I totally understand where you're coming from, I can justify my reasoning of picking such components;

I picked an i7 due to the reason that I'm an extreme multi-tasker, and I'm sometimes max out my brothers i5 during gaming too, it's a 2500k and it sometimes hits as high at 80%, seeing this, I would imagine that it's bottlenecking the GPU yeah?

No, it still has 20% free capacity.

ddavij said:
I picked an expensive motherboard due to the fact that in my previous computer, I spent only $150 on it, and since the third year of usage, it would sometimes refuse to over clock my CPU, would blue screen and was overly inconsistent.

There's no guarantee the $300 part is any better. I wouldn't overspend in the hopes it will somehow last longer. You'll want to upgrade in three years anyway.

ddavij said:
I'm buying a brand new SATA3 3TB Hard Drive + the SSD to run under 6GB/s, the rest of the hard drives are just old hard drives from my old PC that will run in 3GB/s.

OK.
ddavij said:
I choose Blu-Ray writer due to the reason I regularly burn movies on a Blu-Ray disc and watch them on my TV.

Why not just buy a HDMI cable to connect your PC to the TV.
ddavij said:
I kind of don't know why I choose to go 32GB, I think that probably is overkill to the extreme, I think I'll go to 16GB now then! Haha.

That's better ;)  Also don't pay big money for 1600+ MHz it doesn't really do anything.
ddavij said:
Oh I choose the greater wattage PSU due to the reason that I will be linking up 2 7970, that's sufficient yeah?

Yeah it's sufficient.
ddavij said:
I also choose that 7970 due to it's great cooling/overclocking/reliable?

Yeah but you can get a great one for more than $100 cheaper http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
ddavij said:
Tbh I only build a PC every 10 years, I need a PC that will last me 10 years, what you think? Sorry for my 'noob'iness.

I think there's no such PC.
m
0
l
January 4, 2013 10:15:00 AM

FinneousPJ said:
No, it still has 20% free capacity.


There's no guarantee the $300 part is any better. I wouldn't overspend in the hopes it will somehow last longer. You'll want to upgrade in three years anyway.


OK.

Why not just buy a HDMI cable to connect your PC to the TV.

That's better ;)  Also don't pay big money for 1600+ MHz it doesn't really do anything.

Yeah it's sufficient.

Yeah but you can get a great one for more than $100 cheaper http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I think there's no such PC.


Well it's kind of hard to bring the computer up and down levels in the house, man I wish I could lol!

The problem with the gigabyte version is that it's new revisions don't allow you to tweak the voltages and thus won't allow you to over clock to an extent :-(

What type of memory would you suggest? Do you think just 16gb of that 2400 is still great performance wise? How much memory does the mother board support in different speed ranges, maybe it would be sufficient to get something a little slower but 32gb of ram since its not much performance change? I'm really anal about RAM, I've always maxed out my ram on any PC, it truly pisses me off!

Well at least 5 years or 6, like my previous pc until it decided to itself haha!

Basically over these past years I've saved $2500 and want to buy the best system possible, every year I put 600 aside for a new system, and after 4 years came to decide to buy now lol :-)

Thank you for replying too!
m
0
l

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
January 4, 2013 10:33:06 AM

I really don't see a reason to spend that much.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($169.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LK ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($124.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper Gaming Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($69.98 @ Outlet PC)
Storage: Samsung 830 Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($169.95 @ B&H)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($129.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: HIS Radeon HD 7970 3GB Video Card (CrossFire) ($408.49 @ Newegg)
Video Card: HIS Radeon HD 7970 3GB Video Card (CrossFire) ($408.49 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Enforcer ATX Mid Tower Case ($74.98 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 750W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($95.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1682.83
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-04 07:32 EST-0500)
Share
January 4, 2013 11:30:02 AM

FinneousPJ said:
I really don't see a reason to spend that much.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($169.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LK ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($124.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper Gaming Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($69.98 @ Outlet PC)
Storage: Samsung 830 Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($169.95 @ B&H)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($129.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: HIS Radeon HD 7970 3GB Video Card (CrossFire) ($408.49 @ Newegg)
Video Card: HIS Radeon HD 7970 3GB Video Card (CrossFire) ($408.49 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Enforcer ATX Mid Tower Case ($74.98 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 750W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($95.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1682.83
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-04 07:32 EST-0500)


Omg you are the most amazing person ever! My made me realise I can get 2 cards for just 800 bucks, you're a legend! I just saw that my local computer store is selling those over clocked gigabyte versions of the 7970 for just 409!!!!!! I can get 2 of those! Way better then a highly overclocked single 7970 right! Thank you so much I'll go by you're build! Thank you! I'll go with that CPU too! I'll just have to go with 32 gb ram though, thank you so very much!
m
0
l
January 4, 2013 11:31:02 AM

Best answer selected by ddavij.
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
January 4, 2013 11:36:12 AM

Cool. Put the rest of the money somewhere you can't spend it on nonsense and you can upgrade in reasonable time ;) 
m
0
l
May 9, 2015 12:30:43 PM

to be honest keep the psu despite what others say a 500w is not efficient enough, its pushing it and thats why alot of people complain about psus crapping out, 750w or higher is truthfully recommended. here is my current build and it cost me 750$ or less cnt remembr but its a monster to say the least and it could easily go cheaper

8core amd 8320(actually out performs the 8350) for 129$ on amazon or subsistute for the 6 core model for 99$
12gb ram 1600mhz(ull never need more then12gb , i mix music and video edit and no lag) 60$
msi 970 gaming motherboard -99$ they say go cheap but to be honest, dont go cheap on motherboards but also dont go overlly expensive, this is the center of ur entire pc and ties everything together, this one gives me a crap ton of usb including usb3.0 and spidif, has hd audio boost and runs a 2nd pciex16 at x8 while most motherboards only run x4, so for sli and crossfire this is amazing. it also has a a few other good features, cooling and etc, and it looks sexy in a case
i spent 235$ and a r9 290x, u can get a 290 from amazon warehouse for same price. they arent worse then a brand new, most of them work and the packaging is damaged, which means nothing at all to the card. so why spend 300-400$ when u can save a few $$ buying from amazon warehouse.
i got a nxt sentry fan controller for 34$ its awesome ,looks cools and lets me control my fans
i bought a t4 cool master heat sink puts my 8 core cpu at 39C even on games and multi tasking
got a simple nice case with 4 led fans it only cost me 40$, dont try to go too crazy on a case, its just a case lol if u can find a cool cheap one thats awesome, if not dnt spend 100+ on it..but then only spend 40$ on a motherboard lol
i found a 875 psu with led fan on ebay for 44$ works perfectly, i can run every new game on max settings, i can run every game with 4k and still sit at 40C
my friends spent over 1k$ on their pcs and i can easily keep up and even out perform

reason for going with the r9 290 over nvidia, only nvidia in the 230$ range is the super over clock evga 960 or ftw model, which does not come close to performance with the 290x or even the 285 for that matter, the 128 band with criples it big time and the 3.5vram was a problem for me
the r9 290 out performs the 970 aswell. i have the asus direct OC II version, the 980 and 290s are neck and neck , the 980 out performs the r9 290 at anything 1920x1080 or lower but once you start to go higher in resolutions the amd cards start to out perform, amd cards have higher bandwidth and better color depth. i am an nvidia person so trust me i know how hard it is to believe but amd for this price range is the better investment
m
0
l