November 20, 2012 1:58:06 PM

Here is my current gaming rig:

Intel Core i7-930 Bloomfield 2.8GHz
GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R LGA 1366 Intel X58
XFX HD-587A-ZND9 Radeon HD 5870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5
G.SKILL PI Series 6GB (3 x 2GB)
COOLER MASTER HAF 922
CORSAIR CMPSU-850HX 850W

It runs just about everything fine, but on a few things like il2:cod (bad coded) it only runs decent on higher settings if you use a 2GB video card. So, I would like to upgrade the video card on this PC to possibly something that has 2GB and a little more horsepower. Sometimes, like on flight sims, I use dual monitors. I plan on keeping this PC as my main gaming PC for at least one more year before a full rebuild. I also have the CPU overclocked to slightly over 3GHZ, and Im pretty satisfied with it otherwise. I can always use the current 5870 on one of the other PC in my house for my kids.

I've gone ATI/AMD last view builds, but this time around I think I want to go NVIDIA because I've had some issues with ATI Overdrive and the 5870 when I run it at the original overclocking. Just want to go NVIDIA if possible with this hardware combo.

My budget is roughly $300 for the video card.

Maybe this? Although this would be the HIGHEST I would want to go with this upgrade.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Anything Im missing? Suggestions?

a b U Graphics card
November 20, 2012 2:02:28 PM

The GTX 570 is an outdated piece of hardware that performs the worse than a 7850. The 7850, outpeforms it for $100 less. Get a 7950. The biggest bang for your buck.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 20, 2012 2:03:08 PM

If you want to go Nvidia for ~$300 get the GTX 660 Ti, But if it was me I would spend the extra $60 and get a GTX 670 for $360. Whatever you do don't get the 570.
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
November 20, 2012 2:10:39 PM

He says he wants to go Nvidia and you guys only give him AMD options? really?

This has all of the cards suggested in the same benchmarks, but remember nvidia has extra features too, things like Physx, 3d vision, adaptive sync, and so on.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-660-ti-...

As I said before if you want to go Nvidia get a 660 ti or 670, if you want AMD get a 7950 or 7970 depending on how much you can push your budget.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 20, 2012 2:14:10 PM

Derza10 said:

Are u SERIOUS. We are giving him the best. If he wants perf drop he can get the GTX 660 TI for 300+Bucks.

If he goes with the budget up to GTX 670 FTW than yes he must get it.

But he SAID 300$ so 7950 is the best option
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 20, 2012 2:17:23 PM

Derza10 said:

Because the best option is AMD. 7950 >>> 660 TI.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 20, 2012 2:23:22 PM

The least you could do is give a link for him to compare for himself so he can decide, if you base it off pure performance then yes 7950 is the best for the $ but Nvidia has more features, and we don't know how much that is worth to him. I always feel its better to give information so they can decide on their own and not just linking a product and telling them to get it.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 20, 2012 2:26:41 PM

Derza10 said:
The least you could do is give a link for him to compare for himself so he can decide, if you base it off pure performance then yes 7950 is the best for the $ but Nvidia has more features, and we don't know how much that is worth to him. I always feel its better to give information so they can decide on their own and not just linking a product and telling them to get it.

That's why he asked us for help.

And to help you too

Physx its not the base to buy a card. Not to many games use it.

V-sync hmmm i never use it.

and so on.

He dont really need to waste money on gettign the 660 ti vs the 7950.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 20, 2012 2:35:11 PM

prototype18 said:
That's why he asked us for help.

And to help you too

Physx its not the base to buy a card. Not to many games use it.

V-sync hmmm i never use it.

and so on.

He dont really need to waste money on gettign the 660 ti vs the 7950.

See there you go again assuming he dose not play games that take advantage of physx, and basing the fact that you don't use v-sync as a reason why it is worthless. Why assume to know what is important to him and what isn't? He wanted to go Nvidia so, you should go about it by telling him the good and bad of each company and then let him decide what has more value to him.

Don't get me wrong i'm not saying the 7950 is a bad buy, but he asked for nvidia and you just ignored that and told him to get AMDs and gave NO explanation as to why.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 20, 2012 2:36:05 PM

Derza10 said:

You know you can enable the PhysX on the CPU.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 20, 2012 2:44:53 PM

Derza10 said:
See there you go again assuming he dose not play games that take advantage of physx, and basing the fact that you don't use v-sync as a reason why it is worthless. Why assume to know what is important to him and what isn't? He wanted to go Nvidia so, you should go about it by telling him the good and bad of each company and then let him decide what has more value to him.

Don't get me wrong i'm not saying the 7950 is a bad buy, but he asked for nvidia and you just ignored that and told him to get AMDs and gave NO explanation as to why.

I see you ARE blind. I linked him a review if u can see. That is the 660 ti in the bench and 7950 surpasses it. Its not worth it.WASTING money .Just if he is an nvidia fanboy than he must get it.

I like nvidia too but when its time to go with ATI it is.

Used both Nvidia/Amd and they are both great.Just now ati is having some price cuts and it better for price/perf than nvidia.

As i said the 670 FTW would the best pick for him.If he can wait some time and gather budget than YES go with nvidia. If he CANT go past 300$ than he MUST get 7950.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 20, 2012 2:50:48 PM

prototype18 said:
I see you ARE blind. I linked him a review if u can see. That is the 660 ti in the bench and 7950 surpasses it. Its not worth it.WASTING money .Just if he is an nvidia fanboy than he must get it.

I like nvidia too but when its time to go with ATI it is.

Used both Nvidia/Amd and they are both great.Just now ati is having some price cuts and it better for price/perf than nvidia.

As i said the 670 FTW would the best pick for him.If he can wait some time and gather budget than YES go with nvidia. If he CANT go past 300$ than he MUST get 7950.

Maybe I am blind because I do not see a 660 Ti listed anywhere in the review benchmarks you linked.
Maybe you should stop trying to insult people.
m
l
November 20, 2012 2:53:46 PM

You guys have confused me. I did not expect this much fodder here. But I appreciate it. I have done research, am not a total noob sat this PC thing, but I love to ask for recommendations and suggestions from others too because I will never know it all.

Here is something to add. I am not 100% against AMD/ATI if it is truly worth the price, the reason I chose to perhaps go the nvidia route this time is for two reasons.

1. My 5870 version came overclocked, but it cannot handle it. I have RMI'd the card before and it still has the issue. I have to under-clock it back to standard speeds. What happens is, I get a grayish or brownish screen with lines that go across the screen then the PC locks. When it first started happening I sent it back, and used a GTX 275 I believe and never had the issue. Maybe there is somethign with that card and my motherboard combo, I dont know, but I figured if I could get decent performance for the buck and go with the other guys this time around then maybe I can avoid that issue.

2. I like to use multiple monitors, however, I get bad flickering when ATI OVERDRIVE is on. Yet, I need to have that on to underclock it. So I don't get the lines mentioned above. I have tried with ati overdrive off and using something like MSI afterburner, which allows me to set the times down as well, but for some reason I get the lines and crash that way. Only way to stop it is to use ati overdrive, and underclock, which then makes my second monitor flicker. This is common, I found it on google and youtube and its confirmed to be a reason.

Maybe the new ATI /AMD cards are the way to go then.

I am not married to either company, I want to use the best bang for the buckk, but from my reasons above perhaps you understand why I may be leaning the other way.

Lastly. Im a sim guy, I like simulations so I have a game called ship simulator extremes. That stupid game uses physix and it has never run right on my pc with the amd card. SO, yeah, I guess you can say I have a physix game. Wouldnt mind seeing that game work again to its correct capability.

Thanks!!!!
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 20, 2012 2:58:26 PM

Ffs this is not the first post comparing those 2 card's . You should keep up to date with threads. And see that Hd 7950 is better than 660 ti for the price difference.

He dont need to WASTE money.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Sapphire/HD_7950_Vap...

Another review to help you get it.

Srry if u got it personally .I just got nervous.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 20, 2012 3:00:22 PM

itgl72 said:
You guys have confused me. I did not expect this much fodder here. But I appreciate it. I have done research, am not a total noob sat this PC thing, but I love to ask for recommendations and suggestions from others too because I will never know it all.

Here is something to add. I am not 100% against AMD/ATI if it is truly worth the price, the reason I chose to perhaps go the nvidia route this time is for two reasons.

1. My 5870 version came overclocked, but it cannot handle it. I have RMI'd the card before and it still has the issue. I have to under-clock it back to standard speeds. What happens is, I get a grayish or brownish screen with lines that go across the screen then the PC locks. When it first started happening I sent it back, and used a GTX 275 I believe and never had the issue. Maybe there is somethign with that card and my motherboard combo, I dont know, but I figured if I could get decent performance for the buck and go with the other guys this time around then maybe I can avoid that issue.

2. I like to use multiple monitors, however, I get bad flickering when ATI OVERDRIVE is on. Yet, I need to have that on to underclock it. So I don't get the lines mentioned above. I have tried with ati overdrive off and using something like MSI afterburner, which allows me to set the times down as well, but for some reason I get the lines and crash that way. Only way to stop it is to use ati overdrive, and underclock, which then makes my second monitor flicker. This is common, I found it on google and youtube and its confirmed to be a reason.

I am not married to either company, I want to use the best bang for the buckk, but from my reasons above perhaps you understand why I may be leaning the other way.

Lastly. Im a sim guy, I like simulations so I have a game called ship simulator extremes. That stupid game uses physix and it has never run right on my pc with the amd card. SO, yeah, I guess you can say I have a physix game. Wouldnt mind seeing that game work again to its correct capability.

Thanks!!!!

In your situation i would recommend spending the extra money and getting a 670 for $360. If you can not do this you need to pick between the 660 ti and the 7950. Either will serve you well the 7950 will give you higher fps, but i doubt it will be noticeable in most games over the 660 ti.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 20, 2012 3:03:44 PM

itgl72 said:

Thanks!!!!

The stock overclock problem should be with your model. Also, don't use AMD Overdrive use MSI Afterburner.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 20, 2012 3:04:40 PM

prototype18 said:
Ffs this is not the first post comparing those 2 card's . You should keep up to date with threads. And see that Hd 7950 is better than 660 ti for the price difference.

He dont need to WASTE money.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Sapphire/HD_7950_Vap...

Another review to help you get it.

Srry if u got it personally .I just got nervous.

Wow are you serious? So basicly what you are saying is that because they have been compared in other threads you don't need to make the OP aware of this and give him valid links to show anything?

And your comment on "another review to help you get it" I don't think you understand at all what i was telling you. YES I KNOW THE 7950 PERFORMS SLIGHTLY BETTER THAN THE 660 TI!!! i never once said it didn't... my point was he asked for nvidia and you just said get this card and gave no reasons behind it...( other than a link that didn't even compare the equally priced 660 ti)
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 20, 2012 3:05:38 PM

itgl72 said:

Thanks!!!!

Still i recomend the HD 7950 over the 660 TI.

Or as i stated above GTX 670 FTW would be the best deal for you.It will last you for a long time.

I assume your monitors are 1080p ? right?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 20, 2012 3:06:16 PM

Derza10 said:
In your situation i would recommend spending the extra money and getting a 670 for $360. If you can not do this you need to pick between the 660 ti and the 7950. Either will serve you well the 7950 will give you higher fps, but i doubt it will be noticeable in most games over the 660 ti.

The 192bit bus really hurts it in high res, and multi monitors. Also hurts in AA.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 20, 2012 3:13:53 PM

samuelspark said:
The 192bit bus really hurts it in high res, and multi monitors. Also hurts in AA.

Yes i would not recommend the 660 ti for anything over 1080p, and still recommend the 670(~360) if you can afford it, 7950 (~$300) if you can't, and the 660 ti if you really want to go nvidia.

here is a 670 for $319 after rebate and it comes with 2 games.

Borderlands 2 and Assassin's Creed 3.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 20, 2012 3:35:42 PM

why "must" he only get that card? most of the cards overclock pretty well and keep cool, why would he have to pay $50+ more for that one, and only that one?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 20, 2012 3:50:57 PM

That FTW version has

1)680 PCB
2)680 Cooler
=Less noise/heat and better performance.

Plus a easy bios tweak he gets a good 680 :D 
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 20, 2012 4:08:59 PM

prototype18 said:
That FTW version has

1)680 PCB
2)680 Cooler

You can't just tweak the BIOS and activate the disabled cores. They're laser disabled.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 20, 2012 4:19:59 PM

prototype18 said:
That FTW version has

1)680 PCB
2)680 Cooler

The 670 reference cards can be clocked up to 1150+ MHz and still stay in the mid 75c range on full load. And no you can't just bios tweak it to a 680, those disabled cores are physically disabled.

You keep spouting out uninformed statements with no backing to them.
m
l
November 20, 2012 5:33:40 PM

Derza10 said:
Yes i would not recommend the 660 ti for anything over 1080p, and still recommend the 670(~360) if you can afford it, 7950 (~$300) if you can't, and the 660 ti if you really want to go nvidia.

here is a 670 for $319 after rebate and it comes with 2 games.

Borderlands 2 and Assassin's Creed 3.

prototype18 said:
No No No PNY.

If u want GTX 670 u MUST get this

Or if u cant handle that price get the 7950

First, the two free games looks like a killer deal. But, I digress, why not go with the PNY if it is better on price but same specs? I'm not as into overclocking, or packaging, just the performance.

Thanks for the feedback guys I have lots more to read here and think you're all awesome for the suggestions.

samuelspark said:
The stock overclock problem should be with your model. Also, don't use AMD Overdrive use MSI Afterburner.

UNABLE, it crashes if I use anything but overdrive. FRUSTRATING!
m
l
November 20, 2012 5:42:29 PM

Just one more thing to add here I just noticed while looking at specs. As I posted in original message, I have a GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R LGA 1366 Intel X58 and the PCI Express 2.0 x16.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 20, 2012 6:02:39 PM

itgl72 said:
First, the two free games looks like a killer deal. But, I digress, why not go with the PNY if it is better on price but same specs? I'm not as into overclocking, or packaging, just the performance.

Thanks for the feedback guys I have lots more to read here and think you're all awesome for the suggestions.

UNABLE, it crashes if I use anything but overdrive. FRUSTRATING!

Yea that sounds like a problem with the maker/model.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 20, 2012 9:06:18 PM

I didnt say u can unlock the cores. CAN U READ IT ANYWHERE ?????

I said some tweak's GOOGLE them its not so hard. Just a new bios update and u get higher MHZ w/o OC with a software. It would be more stable than the manual OC as the BIOS update is tested by the EVGA company.

m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 20, 2012 9:09:01 PM

prototype18 said:

I said some tweak's GOOGLE them its not so hard. Just a new bios update and u get higher MHZ w/o OC with a software. It would be more stable than the manual OC as the BIOS update is tested by the EVGA company.

You sir are a joke. I have nothing more to say to you.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 20, 2012 9:21:08 PM

prototype18 said:

What's the point of that? Can't you just overclock it manually? You'd be voiding the warranty anyway.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 20, 2012 9:27:35 PM

Ah warranty ....He want performance not warranty.

And about your statement : What's the point of that?

Answer is there omg :

Just a new bios update and u get higher Mhz w/o OC with a software. It would be MORE STABLE than the manual OC as the BIOS update is tested by the EVGA company.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 20, 2012 9:28:48 PM

Anw say whatever u like but there is NO card that can outperform the Gtx 670 FTW 2Gb/4Gb.

If he is such afraid of temps than he could go with Asus DCII.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 20, 2012 9:30:23 PM

prototype18 said:
Ah warranty ....He want performance not warranty.

And about your statement : What's the point of that?

Answer is there omg :

Just a new bios update and u get higher Mhz w/o OC with a software. It would be MORE STABLE than the manual OC as the BIOS update is tested by the EVGA company.

No. You can just find out the settings from the product info and do it manually. Much better than leaving an obvious mark of warranty voidance.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 20, 2012 9:32:10 PM

prototype18 said:
Anw say whatever u like but there is NO card that can outperform the Gtx 670 FTW 2Gb/4Gb.

If he is such afraid of temps than he could go with Asus DCII.

No. You're blinded by fanboyism. An OC'ed 7970 beats a 680...
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 20, 2012 9:37:58 PM

OMFG u are such a Re*****. Why the hell u cant read the whole thread where i DID recommend him the 7950.

I didnt say anywhere get the 670 FTW fast not AMD.

Now i got mad . Noobs posting w/o reading .

I said NO card can outperform the 670 FTW ( that was about all non refernce gtx 670 ASUS / MSI / etc etc)

And derza plz learn more about GPU than come and tell me your a joke when the only thing you can do is bringin up problems to the OP.

Get a life srsly .
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 20, 2012 9:47:42 PM

prototype18 said:
Are u SERIOUS. We are giving him the best. If he wants perf drop he can get the GTX 660 TI for 300+Bucks.

If he goes with the budget up to GTX 670 FTW than yes he must get it.

But he SAID 300$ so 7950 is the best option

This is what you said. The 670 costs as much as a 7970. He might as well get that.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 20, 2012 10:20:09 PM

prototype18 said:
OMFG u are such a Re*****. Why the hell u cant read the whole thread where i DID recommend him the 7950.

I didnt say anywhere get the 670 FTW fast not AMD.

Now i got mad . Noobs posting w/o reading .

I said NO card can outperform the 670 FTW ( that was about all non refernce gtx 670 ASUS / MSI / etc etc)

And derza plz learn more about GPU than come and tell me your a joke when the only thing you can do is bringin up problems to the OP.

Get a life srsly .

I'm having a hard time believing you are even reading anything i post... You keep calling me names and saying the same thing over and over again. Everything you say has no substance to it, its just moronic talk.
m
l
November 20, 2012 10:54:09 PM

GUYS, can we get back to me? :-)
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 20, 2012 11:19:41 PM

IMO, 7950. That GTX 670 is actually $360. Rebates take forever.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 21, 2012 5:58:31 AM

samuelspark said:
This is what you said. The 670 costs as much as a 7970. He might as well get that.

The first card i reccomended was 7950 .

That is well within his budget.

But OP wanted nvidia to use Physx (1 of his games use it |)

So i told him not to drop to 660Ti for that price instead add some budget and get the 670 Ftw version

I set them like this

Gtx 670 Ftw (http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/graphics/40613-evga-gefor...)
Asus Gtx 670 (cooler / less noise )

Both can easily Oc so just choose 1 of these 2 if u want to go with Nvidia.

And about the PNY i dont think its a good brand .

Better 1 of these two up here.

If your game its no so important to you than get the 7950 for 300$ .

And 1 thing i have heard that you can use physx with Amd cards. So u will be able to do it too.

Just google "Physx on Amd" and u will find it. http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/339763-15-radeon-ph...
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 21, 2012 12:25:12 PM

You just put PhysX on your CPU.
m
l
November 21, 2012 9:26:46 PM

samuelspark said:
You just put PhysX on your CPU.

Well, we'll have to google that. See if its worth it.

itgl72 said:
Just one more thing to add here I just noticed while looking at specs. As I posted in original message, I have a GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R LGA 1366 Intel X58 and the PCI Express 2.0 x16.

After researching this, it seems even though the video cards are up there with the PCI Express 3.0 it should not be a problem for me to use my motherboards PCI Express 2.0 x16. Correct me if Im wrong. :hello: 
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 21, 2012 9:31:43 PM

itgl72 said:
Well, we'll have to google that. See if its worth it.

After researching this, it seems even though the video cards are up there with the PCI Express 3.0 it should not be a problem for me to use my motherboards PCI Express 2.0 x16. Correct me if Im wrong. :hello: 

Yea that's fine. Good luck. ;) 
m
l
November 22, 2012 2:03:49 PM

prototype18 said:
http://tpucdn.com/reviews/Intel/Ivy_Bridge_PCI-Express_...

No problem with PciE.

So just get the card

Evga or Asus . Both great and u cant go wrong with non of them.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/GeForce_GTX_670...

hehe, that ASUS is $400+! Way over my budget. Hey I have always had good luck with gigabyte. This one here looks to have good reviews and is at the outer limits of my budget but I might be able to swing it.

m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 22, 2012 2:07:59 PM

Its not that bad but i still recc Asus or Evga .I used a gtx 460 Gigabyte on a friend build and it was good. No problems but lasted only 1 year :( 

Anw im still with my first post 7950 .

Or with my last post ;) 

My job here is done i dont think there smth more i can tell you :) 

Good Luck sir !
m
l
November 22, 2012 2:18:03 PM

You guys have all helped me with my research. I thank you all!
m
l
!