How do i connect my new rig to our wireless network?

TheScarecrow97

Honorable
Apr 19, 2012
I installed the chipset and LAN drivers, but its asking me to plug in an ethernet cable which I do not believe we have. Also, it will not detect any wireless networks. How can I connect my computer to the network?

Solution
Drivers for products are always available online by manufacturers and should be updated when available as they include bugfixes and performance improvements.

Here's the web add for the premiertek drivers:
http://www.premiertek.net/top/download.html

Once downloaded they can be put on a flash drive and installed elsewhere. You could also just copy it from the disc using another PC as suggested.

TheScarecrow97

Honorable
Apr 19, 2012

amd 970 chipset.

songoku619

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2011
The chipset doesn't have "wireless LAN" You'll have to buy a WIFI Card/USB Device to connect to your Wireless network.

Or buy a LAN/Ethernet cable which are quite cheap if you are thinking of gaming. Wifi generally comes with lag if you're gaming online and your router is far from your PC

TheScarecrow97

Honorable
Apr 19, 2012

Yeah, unfortunately our router is on the entire other side of the house....Is there a windows update that allows for a wireless connection? I just found our ethernet cable so I could connect to the internet long enough to install the windows 7 updates, and then hopefully I'd be able to connect wirelessly.

songoku619

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2011
The motherboard itself doesn't come with physical hardware to support wifi. You'd have to get a wifi card and plug it into a pci/pci-e slot or use a usb device to receive the connection and process it.

It's like saying you want to tow a caravan but your car doesn't have a physical towbar. You can't upgrade the car's computer to support a caravan :p

TheScarecrow97

Honorable
Apr 19, 2012

It's strange that this is the first I've heard of this....I've seen countless builds and no one ever includes a wifi card...hmm. Is there any way to tell whether or not my motherboard comes with that hardware to support the wifi? Or is it just a given fact that no motherboards do...If you're absolutely sure I'll need a wifi card, could you point me in the direction of a good one?
Also, you mentioned a usb device. That seems easier to set up than a wifi card. Is there any performance difference between the two?

songoku619

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2011
Generally desktop motherboards don't come with wifi. Those that do mostly come with an add-on wifi card. Most new laptops however come with wifi.

With regards to performance wifi cards typically perform better. But USB means you can use it on different machines should you need to. Here's an article on the subject:
http://www.pcworld.com/article/243226/the_desktop_wireless_adapter_difference_usb_vs_pci.html

I've had good experience with linksys/asus products. Just make sure you have the required slots in your PC. PCI/PCI-e etc. if you decide to go with a wifi card.

TheScarecrow97

Honorable
Apr 19, 2012

Okay, thanks for the advice. I think I'm going to go with the usb device for simplicity's sake. I do intend to do a fair amount of gaming however. What would you say is the best wireless usb adapter I could get?

TheScarecrow97

Honorable
Apr 19, 2012

That does look pretty good....Only problem is, I'm assuming the disc that comes with it is required to install drivers, get it up and running, etc. I don't have a working optical drive. I've been installing everything via flash drive so far. Actually, now that I think about it, could I put the stuff from that disc onto a flash drive, using the same method I did for Windows 7?

songoku619

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2011
Drivers for products are always available online by manufacturers and should be updated when available as they include bugfixes and performance improvements.

Here's the web add for the premiertek drivers:
http://www.premiertek.net/top/download.html

Once downloaded they can be put on a flash drive and installed elsewhere. You could also just copy it from the disc using another PC as suggested.

Solution

TheScarecrow97

Honorable
Apr 19, 2012

Okay, thanks for all the help!