What's the most reliable CD-ROM drive out there?

G

I've been using a Kenwood 72x for about 2 years now, and frankly it sucks. It sucks so bad that it can't install or rip more than half of my CD's and games. Is there any CD-ROM drive out there that is super reliable? Screw speed, I am just so sick and tired of ASPI error messages and weird blips in my MP3's.

My main problems so far have been:

-overheating
-simply being unable to even detect a disc when loading windows or when the autoplay program starts
-CD-ROM not being detected by the BIOS
-incredibly LOUD noises while the disc is spinning (meaning it sucks when it spins up and spins back down because the sound is just plain annoying)
-basically just horrible reliability

Has anyone had any luck with a CD-ROM drive that doesn't have horrious reliability and accuracy problems?

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
IMHO, I'd skip looking at a conventional CD-ROM drive and look at 16X/40X Pioneer DVD-ROM drives. They play CDs at 40X and are super reliable, from what I hear.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
Well, for something seriously reliable, get a 24x drive...those things don't break after years of use...still have mine from '96! 52x drives are also very nice and stable, have had no probs w/ my sony 52x reader.

My rice car will leave your R8500 in the dust!

Arrow

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I've found my Toshiba 48x to be pretty good.

Rob
Please visit <b><A HREF="http://www.ncix.com/canada/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048" target="_new">http://www.ncix.com/canada/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048</A></b>

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
DONT GET A BTC...those things are basically the biggest pieces of crap ever!
had a BTS dvd drive, died pretty quick..like 14 days.
had a BTC 52x, dies after 3 months of normal use.
pretty bad run eh?

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
i will say tho, that Mitsumi(panasonic) drives are pretty good.
i have a 1 1/2 year old 40x that is giving me no problems...(KNOCK ON WOOD)
and it was bought OEM, at a computer show for like 20 bucks or something...and works pretty damn good, and has outlasted two BTC devices...
lol
crap BTC...
it should be ICBIBTC ( I Cant Believe I Bought This Crap)
heh

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-