Sign in with
Your question

Intel HD graphics sufficient for desktop graphics?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 20, 2012 4:00:37 PM

Hi,

The title actually say's it all ;)  I'm getting a Intel Core i5 3470 cpu with HD Graphics and I'm wondering whether it has enough power for handling all the graphic stuff you run into when doing regular desktop tasks (watching hd movies, graphic acceleration of browser content, windows graphic effects, simple 3d graphics,...) No gaming whatsoever.

Thanks
November 20, 2012 4:06:33 PM

Yes, that's the point of integrated graphics. But you should be set on web browsing, watching movies (HD), etc.
By the way nice processor, <3 IVB.
Hope my answer helped. :) 
November 20, 2012 4:27:00 PM

It costs you nothing to try it with the integrated graphics and it may save you hundreds on the cost of a GPU. As said previously it will likely be fine.
Related resources
November 20, 2012 5:50:48 PM

Thanks!

Wasn't thinking about getting a card anything over 50$, but this still saves me some money :) 
Anonymous
a c 117 U Graphics card
November 20, 2012 5:58:29 PM

Nils said:
Thanks!

Wasn't thinking about getting a card anything over 50$, but this still saves me some money :) 

that would be the same as HD 2500 so you would not have gain anything by getting one.
November 21, 2012 8:47:28 AM

Ok, one question left however. As this gpu is build into the cpu, does it produce a lot of extra heat, as I'm considering passive cpu cooling.
Anonymous
a c 117 U Graphics card
November 21, 2012 10:05:49 AM

Nils said:
Ok, one question left however. As this gpu is build into the cpu, does it produce a lot of extra heat, as I'm considering passive cpu cooling.

i monitor my temps and haven't seen a difference when i enable or disable the graphics in the BIOS.
!