First time build questions

I am planning to build my first ever desktop computer and I have questions about the components I am going to use. The only worry I have is that I am buying the computer parts that won't nearly get used to their full potential. What I mean is well... I'm not going to get an intel i7 processor when all I am really going to use this computer for is multitasking and very very little gaming. Maybe only Civilization V. That parts That I got were as follow:

APEVIA X-TELSTAR-BK Black Aluminum ATX Full Tower Computer Case

ASUS P8B75-V LGA 1155 Intel B75 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I53570K

ENERMAX NAXN 82+ ENP650AWT B 650W ATX12V 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply

PowerColor Go! Green AP5450 512MD2-SH Radeon HD 5450 512MB 64-bit DDR2 PCI HDCP Ready Low Profile Ready Video Card

and well the other components aren't really important. But I am really just worried I am actually going to use the video card I am getting to its full potential. Like I said this computer will be used for multitasking like E-mails, youtube, microsoft word, and probably a few open web pages, For college work, You know? I really want to keep my budget under $600. I am willing to go alittle higher for taxes and stuff but no more that $700. I know most of you will say IF I'm am only multitasking I don't need a i5 processor and to just go with the i3, but I want a computer that be able to multitask NO PROBLEM. I don't want to get componets that will just barly be "good enough". I am open to see what mobo, CPU combos I should use. Is a 650w power supply an overkill? I just don't want a PSU to be working a 100& to the max all the time. And should I buy 3rd party cooling fans or will the case fan suffice?
7 answers Last reply
More about first time build questions
  1. This topic has been moved from the section CPU & Components to section Systems by Mousemonkey
  2. for what you need it 500w should be more than enough but i would replace your graphics card for a better one, any card with ddr2 will have no benefit over using the on board gpu, it will actually most likely be slower. a decent gddr5 card would be a good idea
  3. To be honest an i3 is most certainly enough. But if you somehow want an i5 get the 3450. No need to get a 3570K if you're not overclocking.

Motherboard choice is fine.

Power supply is overkill. Get an Antec VP450 which is enough for even a mid-range card like the 7850.

If possible, I recommend you get the Radeon HD7750 instead of the 5450. It's below $100 and if you change the parts above, you can buy one. HD7770 is also a good choice (around $100 as well).
  4. So would the i5 processor be a waste of money. What I really want for this build is processing power. I don't want a good processer, I want a processer that while make my computer at an optimum level.
  5. I agree with EzioAs. Get either an i3-3220 or an i5-3450, probably the latter since you do specify multitasking.
    If Civilization V is your primary game, I think you'd be happier with a HD7770.
    Apevia is on my personal "Do not buy" list for piss-poor quality, and piss-poor quality control. Rosewill makes some decent budget cases. I've bought a lot of different models over the years, and haven't regretted any of them.
  6. Is a full tower unnecessary for the Computer Case for what I am building or will a mid tower be enough. I think a mid tower case would do but I don't want to put a video card in there and it ends up not fitting. What do you all think?
  7. Mid tower cases are still fine. Just find some good ones and choose among them
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Computer Systems