Sign in with
Your question

How many gigs does W7 use HDD/SSD space?

Last response: in Windows 7
March 3, 2012 7:43:01 PM

I'm doing a new build and this is a budget build. I want to put an SSD in this computer for a boot drive. My plan was to install Windows and any important motherboard drivers on the SSD. What is the least amount of gigs I can get away with in an SSD for Windows 7 64 bit and mobo drivers. I was thinking either a 50 or 55 gig SSD. I think Windows 7 only uses 30 some gigs of memory and drivers should only use a couple gigs.

More about : gigs hdd ssd space

a b $ Windows 7
March 3, 2012 8:00:52 PM

I was running Win7 Ult 64 bit on a 50GB partition and it was becomming a bit of a pain to manage.

I moved off my "My documents" but didnt want to constrain the page file.. so left that as system managed (which with 6GB of mem meant it used about 6GB but suggested it might flex up to 9GB)... and with some bad progs not giving option to install on a drive otherthan C: .... and me forgetting a couple of times :??: 
It just became a bit of a pain...

So I went for a 120GB SSd so I didnt need micro manage so much... and still have room to put the odd performance sensitive app on it as well.

So can be done... go 60GB at least and do basic management and you should be OK
HTH
Cheers

m
l
March 3, 2012 8:03:17 PM

30-35gigs if you clean up, and move all nesesery files to reg HD,
right now i got 25GB free on my 64 gb SSD,
thou if not going to take care of drive windows and programs will fill it up fast

also keep in mind for example my 64gb ssd ends up formatted 55GB

But regardless of little work needed to make small SSD work as boot drive, GET one it's worth the effort
m
l
Related resources
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
March 3, 2012 8:13:09 PM

you can get the windows 7 install down to about 12gb

if you lower the pagefile to 512mb--as long as you have over 4gb ram

delete the hyberfil.sys file --this is large and deleting still lets you use sleep

turn off system restore--should be off with ssd anyway

reduce size of recycle bin--or disable it--got be be carefull when deleting things

run service pack1 cleanup--open command prompt and type

dism /online /cleanup-image /spsuperseded then press enter

or using this i got the installed windows 7 down to 7gb on a netbook with only a 16gb ssd in it

http://www.rt7lite.com/

m
l
March 3, 2012 8:24:15 PM

O just wondering why is it a good to have system restore off with an SSD? On my gaming build I made I actually have it on and have had to use it when video drivers for my AMD card started giving me trouble.
m
l
March 3, 2012 8:33:57 PM

Slickrick214 said:
O just wondering why is it a good to have system restore off with an SSD? On my gaming build I made I actually have it on and have had to use it when video drivers for my AMD card started giving me trouble.

System restore takes a lot of space. Plus, if it is only a driver issue, you don't really need to use system restore to fix that if you already know what driver it is. Just uninstall and reinstall.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
March 3, 2012 8:34:36 PM

you can move pagefile and system restore to your mechanical drive, seeing as you have 8gig of ram, pagefile will never come into play performance wise so it doesnt matter if it's on hdd

and as someone previously mentioned, get rid of hibernate file by opening command prompt and typing in "powercfg -h off" (w/o quotation marks)
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
March 3, 2012 8:37:44 PM

Slickrick214 said:

I saw that... "turn off system restore--should be off with ssd anyway". I cant think of any legitimate reason to turn it off. If you value its features.
I dont have it on as I consider it a waste of space... but for many people its an important comfort feature.

Sure it will use write cycles... so if thats a worry for your SSD - you can turn it off.
But to say " should be off with ssd anyway" is a bit rich.
But if you going for the more "rabid" end of looking after your SSD... or trying to castrate your Wins7 by cutting it to 7GB.. there is probably an argument to go for it.

Happy to be proved wrong.. :) 

Cheers

m
l
March 3, 2012 8:40:22 PM

32GB, a pretty fresh install, though (about a month or so). However, that already includes the pagefile and the hybernate file.

E: You can "restore point" to a different volume, right? =)
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
March 3, 2012 8:43:21 PM

why are people getting so worked out by the notion of disabling system restore

anyone who will get to the point of disabling it will realise 'oh look, there are all the partitions listed here that i can use for system restore' and will probably do it if they really want to use that feature

same goes with pagefile

Quote:
E: You can "restore point" to a different volume, right? =)

yes
m
l
March 3, 2012 8:48:23 PM

It was a rhetorical question to annihilate the "added write cycles on SSD" argument. :D 

I do think a restore point can be worth a lot, and that's coming from someone who had to use it only twice in several years. It was still lifesaving at the time.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
March 3, 2012 8:52:45 PM

as you can see in my signature i have ample space to use it, yet i dont

been turning that sucker off ever since i had the displeasure of having windows ME

each to their own i guess :p 
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
March 3, 2012 8:58:06 PM

either way, back on topic

if you have 8gb of ram and an ssd, you don't want system restore, pagefile and hibernate file to hog the space no matter how big the ssd is (system restore has nothing to do with ram, but just in general)

edit: eeep, just realised you're doing a new budget build, i read you already have 8gb of ram in your rig and instantly figured you'd have same amount in new build but the same rule applies for hibernate and system restore - as for pagefile with 4gb of ram, i'd leave it system managed on the ssd
m
l
March 4, 2012 3:34:37 AM

Well here's my thinking on the whole thing. As I said part of the class is getting most of the basic parts for free. So I want to put as little money into added parts, parts we are not getting for free ( video card, SSD and fans) and sell it for as much as possible. So thats what I mean by budget build. I dont want to put 500 dollars into the computer because therd will be no profit in it for me.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
December 1, 2013 2:53:55 PM

for a basic install of win 7 ultimate 64 your looking at 23.5gigs including sp1 for the windows folder. if yours is bigger its likely down to other installed apps. most will install to programfiles/(x86) or program data but there outside the windows folder. but some need to be installed in the c:windows.
with 8 gig of ram you need a 12gig page file. this is necisarry as some apps will complain if you dont have it set to the 1.5 times the actual ram size. basically you will get out of memory errors.
add in your page file of that size and your looking at 36-37 gigs for a fresh install.
m
l
!