Sign in with
Your question

Guild wars 2 horrible frame rates

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 20, 2012 5:28:05 PM

i have 2 lightning 7970s in crossfire, running on a triple monitor eyefinity setup. i am getting the worst frame rates ever.
ive turned on vsync, still horrible frame rates. also, afterburner shows that only about 40% of each gpu is being utilized at any given time. ive been trying to play on ultra, because this setup should be fully capable of it, and every other game is fine. and i have set all of the settings to low, and the frame rates remain almost the same.
and suggestions?
November 20, 2012 5:42:55 PM

What is your System specs? Mainly CPU, sounds like a CPU bottleneck.
m
l
November 20, 2012 6:03:29 PM

intel 2500k @ 4.0 ghz
12 gb of corsair vengeance
m
l
Related resources
November 20, 2012 6:19:01 PM

Maybe try overclocking to 4.5ghz ( if you have an after market decent CPU cooler ) and see if you have any improvements. If you are getting these low FPS in crowded areas - that is because your cpu is capped out. I play GW2 some and i have a gtx 680 (@1250Mhz) paired with an i5 2500k (@4.5Ghz) Playing at 6040x1200 resolution and most of the time i have 55-60 FPS but when I get in groups of people ( 30-50+ ) My FPS can drop to around 30 and this is because all 4 cores on the cpu are running at 95-100% aka bottlenecking.

MMOs are very cpu intensive when you get a lot of people around.
m
l
November 20, 2012 8:00:44 PM

Derza10 said:
Maybe try overclocking to 4.5ghz ( if you have an after market decent CPU cooler ) and see if you have any improvements. If you are getting these low FPS in crowded areas - that is because your cpu is capped out. I play GW2 some and i have a gtx 680 (@1250Mhz) paired with an i5 2500k (@4.5Ghz) Playing at 6040x1200 resolution and most of the time i have 55-60 FPS but when I get in groups of people ( 30-50+ ) My FPS can drop to around 30 and this is because all 4 cores on the cpu are running at 95-100% aka bottlenecking.

MMOs are very cpu intensive when you get a lot of people around.

Wow really? Thats surprising...and really annoying. Ill try overclocking some more. I figured it might be that and went from 3.8 to 4.0ghz and that really made no difference at all. It seems as though the two 7970s would be able to handle everything though. What load is being put on the cpu?
m
l
November 20, 2012 8:25:06 PM

plattman02 said:
Wow really? Thats surprising...and really annoying. Ill try overclocking some more. I figured it might be that and went from 3.8 to 4.0ghz and that really made no difference at all. It seems as though the two 7970s would be able to handle everything though. What load is being put on the cpu?

The CPU is going to be responsible for doing the following in games:

1) Tracking Objects - calculations of mobile objects in the game, such as NPCs.
2) Hit detections - Along with those tracking, in offensive games, needs to approximate where some things will be hitting or if they will be hitting. With large data sets, such as multiple NPCs and yourself firing or doing actions, each action has to be taken into consideration and the resultant data.
3) AIs - The game AIs, ranging from the NPCs to just the simple "door handling" has to be processed based on actions and also program responses to situations. AIs use State mannerisms and timing.
4) Sound Processing - Regardless of the sound card, you still have a software converting a file's digital data to output back out into sound. There are different data formats, and even in game cutscenes, you are no longer using CD/DVD analog tracks, you are now using pure digital data files to output sounds, including background music and ambient sounds.
5) For Net Play - there is still going to be large data sets of information doing the above and passing back and forth as well as communicating to other machines, which puts even more of a burden on your system as it has to crunch some of that data and represent it to you and also respond back to that data and send it back out to the other machines.

The only way you can really keep your FPS up to a decent amount with a lot of people around is to OC it, you have one of the best gaming CPU's.
m
l
November 20, 2012 8:32:12 PM

Derza10 said:
The CPU is going to be responsible for doing the following in games:

1) Tracking Objects - calculations of mobile objects in the game, such as NPCs.
2) Hit detections - Along with those tracking, in offensive games, needs to approximate where some things will be hitting or if they will be hitting. With large data sets, such as multiple NPCs and yourself firing or doing actions, each action has to be taken into consideration and the resultant data.
3) AIs - The game AIs, ranging from the NPCs to just the simple "door handling" has to be processed based on actions and also program responses to situations. AIs use State mannerisms and timing.
4) Sound Processing - Regardless of the sound card, you still have a software converting a file's digital data to output back out into sound. There are different data formats, and even in game cutscenes, you are no longer using CD/DVD analog tracks, you are now using pure digital data files to output sounds, including background music and ambient sounds.
5) For Net Play - there is still going to be large data sets of information doing the above and passing back and forth as well as communicating to other machines, which puts even more of a burden on your system as it has to crunch some of that data and represent it to you and also respond back to that data and send it back out to the other machines.

The only way you can really keep your FPS up to a decent amount with a lot of people around is to OC it, you have one of the best gaming CPU's.

Wow thank you very much! So you dont think it would be worth it to upgrade my cpu?
I dont know if i meantioned but i am running at 5760x1080 resolution
m
l
November 20, 2012 8:39:02 PM

CPU isn't his problem... Don't give people false information.

What's the rest of your system specs like PSU?
m
l
November 20, 2012 8:43:21 PM

samuelspark said:

I have a coolmax 1000watt psu
m
l
November 20, 2012 8:45:04 PM

samuelspark said:

How is my info false? lol, I stated if he is seeing these low frame rates while he has a lot of people around, it is due to his cpu limitations. Plattman02 are you normally at 60 FPS but when you do large events or go to a town where a whole lot of people are around your FPS drops? Or is it bad fps all the time?
m
l
November 20, 2012 8:48:02 PM

plattman02 said:
I have a coolmax 1000watt psu

***EDIT***
Actually, which model is it? It might make a huge difference.
***EDIT***

There's a good chance that that's your issue. It's a trashy PSU maker. Most likely it only gives off about 600w of real power and that's not going to be enough to run two OC'ed 7970's and an OC'ed i5. It's probably what's holding you back from overclocking more as well.

I would replace it immediately for something of higher quality. This is an excellent deal. $45 off right now.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
November 20, 2012 8:49:28 PM

Derza10 said:
How is my info false? lol, I stated if he is seeing these low frame rates while he has a lot of people around, it is due to his cpu limitations. Plattman02 are you normally at 60 FPS but when you do large events or go to a town where a whole lot of people are around your FPS drops? Or is it bad fps all the time?

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/guild-wars-2-perfor...
m
l
November 20, 2012 8:50:53 PM

samuelspark said:
There's a good chance that that's your issue. It's a trashy PSU maker. Most likely it only gives off about 600w of real power and that's not going to be enough to run two OC'ed 7970's and an OC'ed i5. It's probably what's holding you back from overclocking more as well.

I would replace it immediately for something of higher quality. This is an excellent deal. $45 off right now.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Well all other games work perfectly fine with great frame rates at full resolution and ultra settings, so why wouldnt It be the problem in any other game?
m
l
November 20, 2012 8:51:01 PM

plattman02 said:
Well all other games work perfectly fine with great frame rates at full resolution and ultra settings, so why wouldnt It be the problem in any other game?

Because the issue isn't stemming from him having you having a weak CPU, it's stemming from the fact that GW2 is a badly optimized game - the best computer in the world is still going to struggle with consistent framerates with that coded mess.

Look at other forums in here - you'll find a LOT of people with very nice computers who are very confused because GW2 does horribly, and it's the only game that does so.
m
l
November 20, 2012 8:55:26 PM

what exactly are you trying to prove with this post? it is irrelevant... you really think they did their tests with 50+ people around them? no they would have done it in an empty area to keep results from all cpus comparable.
m
l
November 20, 2012 8:58:28 PM

i would bet money if you watched your FPS and CPU loads you would see when you are getting these bad FPS your CPU cores will be at 90%+
m
l
November 20, 2012 8:58:57 PM

Please can people stop blaming PSU's for Frame rate drops
if the PSU cannot supply the rated Power to the system at full load the system will HARD REBOOT or Just turn off, not drop in performance..

Secondly his System is plenty powerful enough to handle GW2 at those res/settings
but like all MMO's sometimes the slow down from large crowds of people is network related especially when buffering item and player data.

My advice is Turn off Vsync and keep it off (it does not help in eyefinity and can cause massive frame rate drops)
Make sure all your drivers are updated, and you have the latest CAP

AND DO NOT set Render Sampling at SuperSample, only Default
Your system is not powerful enough to run render sampling higher then default and will cause a massive drop in performance in eyefinity
(hell it causes massive performance drop on my system in eyefinity)
m
l
November 20, 2012 9:05:20 PM

samuelspark said:

Any other bright ideas sun shine?
m
l
November 20, 2012 9:06:11 PM

kitsunestarwind said:
Please can people stop blaming PSU's for Frame rate drops
if the PSU cannot supply the rated Power to the system at full load the system will HARD REBOOT or Just turn off, not drop in performance..

Secondly his System is plenty powerful enough to handle GW2 at those res/settings
but like all MMO's sometimes the slow down from large crowds of people is network related especially when buffering item and player data.

My advice is Turn off Vsync and keep it off (it does not help in eyefinity and can cause massive frame rate drops)
Make sure all your drivers are updated, and you have the latest CAP

AND DO NOT set Render Sampling at SuperSample, only Default
Your system is not powerful enough to run render sampling higher then default and will cause a massive drop in performance in eyefinity
(hell it causes massive performance drop on my system in eyefinity)

No throttling is possible due to a cheap power supply.
m
l
November 20, 2012 9:07:24 PM

Derza10 said:
Any other bright ideas sun shine?

PSU. Read the upper comments.
m
l
November 20, 2012 9:08:03 PM

^That is in fact correct.

Second, like I've been saying, it's not a hardware issue. It's the fact that GW2, while being a good game, is very VERY poorly coded. Everyone has framerate issues with it.
m
l
November 20, 2012 9:20:11 PM

Derza10, sorry i didnt see your question before. I just got the game yesterday, and havent been to very many places on the map, but now that i think about it, everywhere ive been has been pretty populated. My frame rates have been pretty consistently low.
And herehttp://m.youtube.com/?reload=7&rdm=mdjiqo7ii#/watch?v=0... vega did it with 4 of my cards and 5 of my monitors, so i feel like i should be getting at least close to These frame rates.

Also the fact that i am getting rediculously bad frame rates with Every single setting on low (about the same as on ultra) makes me think that its the cpu problem.

I feel like no one saw that bot of my gpus are only being 40-60% utilized. In all of my other games they Are always above 90
m
l
November 20, 2012 9:22:54 PM

...facepalm. The reason it's not making use of your GPUs is because it doesn't know how to do so well. Yeah, the CPU is holding you back a bit, but even a brand new i5 isn't going to be much of an upgrade - I'd estimate five to ten frames more.
m
l
November 20, 2012 9:26:34 PM

And youre saying its cause of the way the game was coded?
m
l
November 20, 2012 9:33:02 PM

A lot of mmos have this issue ( GW2 is one of the worst ), no CPU will always give you 60 fps when you have hundreds of people around you. Really nothing you can do other than overclock your cpu as much as you can. Like i have been saying from the start...
m
l
!