Sign in with
Your question

Understanding AMD drivers

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 20, 2012 5:57:50 PM

Well,
I have got my new system with CrossfireX setup of (SAPPHIRE Toxic HD 7970 GHZ Edition 6GB @x16 and SAPPHIRE Vapor-X HD 7970 GHZ Edition 6GB @x8 x2)
The thing is that i want to install the most stable or the highest performance drivers.

I also want to be able to both monitor and in detail the temps , clocks of each GPU and VRM.
and be able to control the clocks.

As a monitoring and control tools.
I have downloaded trixx and msi afterburner and HWiNFO 64.

But when it comes to drivers ,
I do not know which ones are the best.
I also do not know what is the "application profile" thingy.

I am having issues with screen glitches and sometimes microstutter and some other times i get PC freezes.
Now i am worried on which applications and drivers to use and what to consider while tweaking them , i would also like to know what would be the max safe GPU temp knowing that in a normal gaming session i get temps like (79 - 82 - 66) (toxic - vapor-x - vapor-x) at around 50% usage, sometimes when it reaches around 90% to 100% usage i got max temp to 91c !
Are those temps normal ?

Thank you.
a b U Graphics card
November 20, 2012 6:06:11 PM

For drivers, the latest beta of 12.11 are the best performing: http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/AMDCatalyst1...

Temps in the 70 to 85 C range are expected, especially for CrossFire, but 90 C would start to make me nervous. Can you try to get some additional airflow between the cards?
m
l
November 20, 2012 7:25:09 PM

aicom said:
For drivers, the latest beta of 12.11 are the best performing: http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/AMDCatalyst1...

Temps in the 70 to 85 C range are expected, especially for CrossFire, but 90 C would start to make me nervous. Can you try to get some additional airflow between the cards?

I will as soon as i find 2 4pin extenders :D 
I just had another PC freeze!
m
l
!